The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old November 26, 2001, 04:21 PM   #1
Glockster35

Search shutdown?

What happened to the search function? Mine is saying it doesn't work because the administrators shut it down???
Old November 26, 2001, 04:52 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

It's being reindexed. I started about 2AM in hopes of not disturbing the Board. With 20,000,000+ search items (yeah, I was surprised too!), it was about 4/5ths done at noon today when the server crashed due to disk space problems. I've resolved that and will attempt a re-index this PM.
Rich
Old November 26, 2001, 07:08 PM   #3
Glockster35

Thanks Rich

And if you didn't already know you guys are doing one heck of a job with this board, and SWAT magazine.

Keep it up
Old November 26, 2001, 08:00 PM   #4
Jody Hudson

Yes, thanks Rich. NO matter how much curmugeoning I do... This is a great place and my favorite resource on the web... other than my sites of course... :lol
Old November 27, 2001, 01:16 PM   #5
garrettwc

Rich, any word on status of the servers?

The search feature/find new posts link is still coming up "turned off by admin".
Old November 27, 2001, 07:11 PM   #6
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Yup-
Started it again today...lost connection halfway thru and it crashed. Just restarted now. Perhaps by morning. It really is a long process, unless we shut the board down for about 10 hours.
Rich
Old November 28, 2001, 01:30 AM   #7
NINE

Shut down for 10 hours, eh? Rich, I'll get back to you with a time that is good for me.
Old November 28, 2001, 05:26 AM   #8
LilJoe

I feel the withdrawls coming already!!!!!!
Old November 28, 2001, 06:08 PM   #9
rock_jock

This is disheartening. I am trying to do research for my next gun and I feel like a ship tossed about on the sea without my TFL archive resources.

BTW, I think this points to the incredible benefits the community of firearm enthusiasts receives from this site. If we don't say thanks often enough, its only because we have come to take the great folks, information, and service for granted. It is nonetheless greatly appreciated.
Old November 28, 2001, 08:03 PM   #10
Jody Hudson

That is so true Rock_Jock.

I consider this a MOST valuable part of my life. Thanks Rich and everyone else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old November 28, 2001, 10:49 PM   #11
yorec

Came in to check on the status of the search function - I understand and will be patient. But I also had to post to "ditto" the sentiment's of support from those above!
Old November 29, 2001, 12:42 PM   #12
Daedalus

Speaking of which, anyone know about the Jericho 941 Compact? I'm dying over here!
Old November 29, 2001, 04:40 PM   #13
RugerSAfan

Relating to the reindexing, one option is to review history, determine time when least impact on over-all users, notify in advance, take database off-line with notice of expected return, and then re-index.

Sure would like to do a search. I enjoy TFL, BTW.
Old November 29, 2001, 09:04 PM   #14
Edward429451

So thats what happened to it. finally wandered to this forum to check out why. It must be a pain in the butt to have it keep crashing on you like that. (I need to search for some sks info,whats it worth I got it as a tip for a guy I worked for!)...

We appreciate all your frustration and work to keep it going!!
Old November 29, 2001, 09:47 PM   #15
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Guys-
It just keeps crashing. It really is a *huge* file. I know it can be done, but it requires my PC/Internet connection to stay up long enough. I've tried doing it in several screens, each with a smaller piece of the file....the server goes ballistic.

I just restarted again. With luck- noon tomorrow. Know that we all miss the function and we're doing everything possible to bring it back up.
Rich
Old November 29, 2001, 10:09 PM   #16
rock_jock

Thanks Rich. Personally, I think it must be a HCI conspiracy. I mean if we never got to do research on guns at TFL again, firearms sales would plummet across the country.
Old November 29, 2001, 10:12 PM   #17
garrettwc

I'm beginning to think it's a plot by the antis. Your internet connection keeps dropping out,

gunsamerica and 1911 forum are both down with a 403 error.

Are we under attack by a virus or million mom hackers

Seriously, Rich I know you're doing your best. We have been experiencing a variety of server problems at my job. I know how frustrated you must be. We appreciate all your hard work on this.
Old November 29, 2001, 10:58 PM   #18
PUMC_TomG

Quote:
Thanks Rich. Personally, I think it must be a HCI conspiracy. I mean if we never got to do research on guns at TFL again, firearms sales would plummet across the country.
Oh contrare Senor Jock. It just means we would all have to buy a gun we had questions on to see if its worth it. In doubt? Buy it!!!
Old November 29, 2001, 11:34 PM   #19
nnciderr

I'd be glad to donate some bandwidth if I can. My connection is only off 2 times a year. Let me know if I can help.

[email protected]

I miss the search. What to do?
Old November 30, 2001, 08:37 AM   #20
mini14jac

I want to join the chorus saying this a great board, and you guys do a great job in running it.

I am in favor of going down 10 hours if it will get the Search function back.
That is probably the most useful function when you are considering a new purchase.

Flip the switch on this puppy!

JP
Old November 30, 2001, 11:00 AM   #21
tonyz

I also join in the shut down. If thats what it takes to get the program to function correctly.
So just post the time of the shut down and time frame then go for it!!

Tony

"The unsearchable"
Old November 30, 2001, 11:45 AM   #22
Borf

Just wondering

But could I assume you're doing this remotely on a UNIX box? If so, have you tried either "nohup" or "screen" or equiv. to keep the process going on the other end if your session dies?

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom;
and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money it values more, it
will lose that, too.
-- W. Somerset Maugham
Old November 30, 2001, 02:52 PM   #23
Rich Lucibella
Staff

The problem is not the server...it's Windows ME on my side. It crashes more often than a 20 year old Ford Pinto. Shutting down the server only shortens the time required for reindex a bit, and allows less time for Mr. Gates to get in the middle. But there's no guarantee that it will work.

Borf-
I like the way you talk!!!!!! Teach me...I'm a Red Had Linux newbie. I can get the basic stuff done; I'm fair with MySQL, but you're way ahead of me.

The reindex is done thru the vB control panel which runs in PHP. It's a typical point a click action on my part. (I might be able to isolate the script command sent to MySQL from vB, though).

I'm open to detailed instructs.
Rich
Old November 30, 2001, 04:53 PM   #24
Borf

So it's an action from a webpage?

hmm...

Couple of things then - I'm not real swift on MySQL (I'm a C/Perl/Oracle/Informix/Postgres kind of junkie), and indexes are a very database-specific thing type of thing. I've also never seen the vB software so I don't know how it works, although I assume it uses PHP's built in facilities for talking to MySQL. I do know that newer versions of MySQL support an index type of FULLTEXT, which I'm assuming (you know what they say about assuming) TFL uses, perhaps multi-column. Chances are the re-indexing is being done through an ALTER INDEX( or CREATE INDEX) in one of PHP's "mysql_*" functions.

What I would suggest (either for this time or future use) *is* to figure out what exactly vB is having MySQL index. Then you can either do it manually, or maybe easier to write a perl script (using DBD::MySQL) to do it. Or maybe the MySQL myisamchk util has something for indexes (I really don't know). Advantage of this being you can schedule it or run it from the command prompt. If you're just running something from a shell (command prompt) you can use "nohup" to invoke it (causes the process to ignore "SIGHUP" - the HangUP SIGnal the terminal driver sends when the connection is broken) so that it will keep going when you disconnect. Screen can give you similar benefits, but by maintaining multiple virtual consoles within a single tty connection... to which you can usually reconnect if you get disconnected.

Does vB have any utilities that can be run from a shell that will index?

I don't know how to help you from the web-browser aspect.

I just read back through that... geez I hope it helps somehow.

will lose that, too.
-- W. Somerset Maugham
Old November 30, 2001, 04:56 PM   #25
Borf

I should probably toss out that manually tinkering with indexes or anything that could affect the schema without understanding what vB was doing could be... uh... *bad*

will lose that, too.
-- W. Somerset Maugham