The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 6, 2012, 09:14 AM   #1
FJ4ZROX

refinishing a Colt?

Greetings -

I recently acquired a Colt Diamondback that was NOT well taken care of, and as such the finish is in fair shape. I know these never had the deep royal blue of a Python, but I'd like to see it with the finish it deserves (ie no scuffs/scratches). Any recommendations for refinishing/re-blueing a Colt?
Old September 6, 2012, 10:18 AM   #2
stu925

My first thought is don't. My second thought is you might see if Colt would refinish it for you (I have no idea if they will or not). My third thought is if you don't care about collector value and bought the gun as a shooter then go ahead and make it what you want but I would find someone reputable to do the work. I would probably leave it as is if the gun were mine, but that might depend on how badly beat the original finish is. All of my guns are shooters and a little wear doesn't really bother me, there are a few I would consider refinishing but more for a project for me than because I wanted them restored to their former glory. I'm always looking for a project of some sort.

Stu
Old September 6, 2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Grant D

You can send it to Colt, they do refinishing.
Old September 6, 2012, 11:39 AM   #4
22-rimfire

It depends on what you mean by "fair". If I had a Diamondback that I wanted to refinish, it would go to Colt for the job. It will destoy most of its collector value if that is important to you... again I don't know what "fair" means. But it sounds like a shooter and I would use it as a shooter regardless if I had it refinished or not. You want it to look pretty... get it refinished, but it will still be a shooter.
Old September 6, 2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Olympus

If you want to continue shooting it, leave it like it is. If you're ready to retire it to the safe, send it to Colt for a refinish. You can even have it Royal Blued. The thing is, Colt is about 6-8 months behind on heir refinishing and they charge around $300. If you go that route, the end result will be so beautiful that you'll feel bad shooting it and you won't want to put a turn line on the cylinder. Colt does great refinishing work. I had an abused Python restored to its former glory and now it's a safe queen.
Old September 6, 2012, 07:09 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

As a premium Colt revolver, a Diamondback would deserve to have Colt do the work.

While re-finishing "can" lower value, that pretty much holds for a gun in nicer condition.
One that's badly worn may actually have the value increased by a factory re-finish.
Colt can re-do the gun to it's original factory brand new look, right down to restoring the factory stamps if they're badly worn and thin.

This does not mean the gun can only become a safe queen. A Colt is made to shoot, normal use won't do much harm to the new finish.
Old September 15, 2012, 07:51 PM   #7
alienbogey

Here's a picture of my Python that Colt refinished:

I don't feel bad about shooting it, I feel GREAT about shooting it.
Old September 15, 2012, 09:41 PM   #8
GeauxTide

You might consider Turnbull Resorations or Bowen Classic. Outstanding work.
Old September 15, 2012, 09:50 PM   #9
Chris_B

Colt was very non-commital about refinishing a pistol when I contacted them, but that was an out of production for many years pistol. I got the feeling that a restoration service like Turnbull's would have been a better choice in general for refinishing. I mean that it felt like they'd do it as a concept, but they didn't really care all that much if they didn't get the job. It wasn't like "Wow, well we might not be able to do it, but we'd love to try. Would you like to send it to us for an evaluation?". It was more like "OK, I guess sure, we can try"
Old September 16, 2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Dfariswheel

First, you spoke to a desk person, and they sometimes give wrong info or just don't seem to be too enthusiastic.
Another reason is that Colt is way behind because everyone is having Colt's refinished.

The smart move is to have Colt do the Diamondback.
There are others, but if done by Colt the value will be higher and if the stamps are degraded, they can restore them.

If you had a Ferrari and it needed paint, which would you do: have the factory do it or a great paint shop downtown?
If you're smart Ferrari would do it.
Old September 16, 2012, 06:10 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B
Colt was very non-commital about refinishing a pistol when I contacted them, ...
Were you clear that ALL you were asking about was refinishing?

Colt also repairs their older pistols, but they no longer make parts for the DA revolvers, so as they run out of parts ... they run out of parts. If the person with whom you spoke thought you wanted mechanical problems fixed as well as refinishing, I can understand the hesitancy. They don't like to promise a repair and subsequently find out they can't fix it because they used up the last of those particular widgets three years ago.
Old September 16, 2012, 06:42 PM   #12
dgludwig

Quote:
There are others, but if done by Colt the value will be higher and if the stamps are degraded, they can restore them.
If the factory (Colt, in this instance) does the refinishing and documentation can be verified for same, the value in terms of collectibility will not be significantly diminished.
Old September 16, 2012, 06:59 PM   #13
GeauxTide

Quote:
Would you like to send it to us for an evaluation?". It was more like "OK, I guess sure, we can try"
Hence the term "Custom". They can't quote a re-finish without a look. If you look at their website, their work is spectacular. I'll be sending my 44 Special Ruger Bisley for a Color Case and Blue job in January.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:19 PM   #14
old bear

Any refinish will lower collectors value, yet a factory refinish will not lower the collectors value as much. So FJ4ZROC, if you must have your diamondback refinished send it to Colt to have the work done.
Old September 17, 2012, 11:46 AM   #15
Skans

If the condition of the revolver renders it strictly "shooter grade", then I see no reasons not to refinish it. I had a '57 Python recently refinished by Colt. If it had even been an 85% finish gun, I probably would not have even considered it. But, this old Python was crying to be beautiful again. Colt did a fantastic job on it - 6 months later and $365, I had a new looking Python.

Life is too short to own an Ugly Python!
Old September 17, 2012, 09:12 PM   #16
redhawk45

Collectors like to value the percent of original finish remaining. If its refinished then zero percent remains. That being said some people don't see it that way and enjoy the new looking finish. Collector value will go down and it will cost to refinish but if you like the new look go for it. Understand even Colt does not duplicate the finish of old although their recent finishes nearly match an original Diamondback finish. If you go for it let Colt do it just for the documentation.
Old September 18, 2012, 07:59 AM   #17
Skans

Collector value of a Colt Python is basically nothing if the gun is less than 98%; 95% for early 60's Pythons and maybe 88% for 55-59 Pythons.

The Colt Python is not (and never will be) the the same as a Colt SAA, government issued wartime 1911, American Eagle Test Luger or similar guns. The Colt Python is still the most affordable and obtainable top-quality 38/357 revolver. There is no shortage of Pythons. A lot of people want Pythons because of the incredible action, accuracy and finish. An ugly Python is not collectible unless it was a rare original '55 build. However, a factory re-blued Python is desirable because at under $1,500, you can't find a smoother, more precise 357 revolver. It simply costs too much to make them.