The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 22, 2011, 08:47 PM   #1
Cascade1911

Bowling Pins, where to buy

Any of yall know a good place to buy cheep bowling pins?
Old March 22, 2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Navy joe

Hit up all the bowling alleys you can find and offer to buy their dinged up pins they no longer use.
Old March 23, 2011, 05:44 AM   #3
Cascade1911

Whats a reasonable price?
Old March 23, 2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Edward429451

$1 a piece.

I'd try to get them for free first.
Old March 23, 2011, 06:00 PM   #5
JC5503

I went to one of my local bowling alleys and they let me have as many that I could fit in my car for fifteen dollars lol they even packed them in boxes before I got there..... It seemed like they were glad to get rid of them and I was happy to help
Old March 23, 2011, 07:17 PM   #6
Cascade1911

Might work in Colorado or Ohio.....Unfortunately, here in NY, I think my best bet would be to offer to take them away for a fee of $3.00 a piece and let 'em beat me down to free and if they are driving a hard bargain actually offer to pay them. But really, thanks for the advise, I'll talk to my local bowling alleys and see what the market is......
Old March 23, 2011, 08:17 PM   #7
tazbigdog

I have gotten a ton of free ones from bowling alleys. Found some at garage sales and flea markets for $1 apiece. Love shooting them!
Old March 25, 2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Ken O

I used to shoot the pin matches, great fun! I picked up junk pins from bowling alleys for free. But, its a pain to keep picking them up and re-setting them at home. I'm a retired welder/fabricator, so I traced around a pin and made a set out of steel. Made a rail and bolted them down, paint them white and shoot away. You can see the splats from each shot, shoot a couple few rounds and re-paint.
Old April 8, 2011, 01:54 AM   #9
HowieYTown

Hi,
Newbie here at this forum but not to shooting at pins. When I used to practice for Second Chance I welded up a table with steel strips about 1 1/2" wide. They would fall down when hit and reset with the tug of a rope. I spent many days at the rack, slow at first then picked up the speed.
I won numerous prizes, became a master blaster and have great memories from the match and fellow contestants that I will never forget.
Truthfully one of the most memorable times of my life, free beer (at night) beefalo roasts, fireworks, machine guns, explosions, competition, camping on site, putting blocks of ice into the public shower resevor, nato nuclear blast simulator? LOL the list goes on, thanks Richard! Saw him shoot himself twice!
Old April 8, 2011, 02:02 AM   #10
HowieYTown

I still have some cardboard bowling pin targets that where being sold back in the 80's. I also cut one out of 5/8 steel plate, welded it to a old cars coil spring and used that for my rifle practice. Wow, the .223 would almost completely penetrait it! But it would bounce around when it was hit, pretty fun.
I remember my shooting buddy brought a M1 Garand to shoot the rifle match at Second Chance with! When he hit the steel pins they would smack the ground so hard you just had to laugh! Were as all the competitors shooting .223's would just flop over.
During his second attempt he set the range on fire! sparks of the metal pins and that 30.06 blasting them started a little on range fire that the time keepers had to go stomp out.
Old April 8, 2011, 02:55 AM   #11
cookhj

i've gotten plenty for free from bowling alleys.
Old April 8, 2011, 07:32 AM   #12
kraigwy

I was talking to the guy who buys pins for the club I shoot with. He was telling me that they've come up with a way to restore bowling pins and its going to be a lot harder to find pins at a reasonable price.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 25, 2011, 03:45 PM   #13
C7AR15

Pins for Free

I USED TO GET DOZENS OF BOXES OF USED AND WORN PINS FROM THE LOCAL ALLY.

Start off by giving the Maint. mechanic a dozen cold ones !!

The guy would phone me up regularly to get rid of pins - often on a Friday afternoon!!

Careful on your Pin shoots - NO .38 or 9mm . They can come straight back at you.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:54 AM   #14
jwax

Cascade1911- What part of NY State are you in?
John
Old May 20, 2011, 08:57 PM   #15
armsmaster270

I went to my local alley when they were changing out their pins and asked. They told me their used pins went to their sister alley to be used as new pins. I went to the sister alley and asked they took me in the back where they had boxes of used pins stacked to the ceiling and told me you can have all you want, get them out of here. My brother in law filled his F-150 bed and I filled my Toyota P/U no cost.
Old June 3, 2011, 08:19 AM   #16
Hunter Customs

The larger bowling alleys around here send their used pins in to be refurbished and then sell them to smaller bowling alleys.

If you can find a smaller bowling alley they may give you pins.

I still have about 400 pins in my barn and I also have a regulation Second Chance style tiered pin table.

On my website is some actuall size pin targets for those that want to print some paper pins to practice on.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com