The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 1, 2006, 02:45 AM   #1
boltgun71

Which leupold scope for .350 Rem Mag?

I'm currently the proud owner of a like new Rem 700 classic in 350 Rem mag or at least my wife is since I'm currently deployed and she bought it for me. Now I'm trying to decide on which scope would be best for the Rem 700 in 350 Rem Mag. I've narrowed it down to the VX-III in 2.5-8X36, the VX-III 1.5-5X20, the VX-II Ultralight in 2-7X28, or the VX-I in 2-7X33. If anyone has experience or opinions on/with these scopes I would appreciate any info. I know the 350 is not a long range cartridge so I have decided on the mid-range magnifications, but I would still like decent magnification for testing handloads with it. All scopes will have a gloss finish and duplex reticule. I do not want to remove the factory sights from the barrel on it. Any help is appreciated.
Old September 1, 2006, 04:55 AM   #2
maas

i like the fixed powers my self. take a look at the fx-III 6x42. i have one on my 338 win mag and its extremely clear and the light transfer is awesome.

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old September 6, 2006, 07:48 PM   #3
ClarkEMyers

Can't say best and any of them would work -

Myself, I'd go 2-7 VXII from a long ago suggestion by Bob Hagel that it's a rifle sight not a substitute for binoculars and a spotting scope.

Based on my own guess from what you write I'd suggest the 2.5-8 might suit load development better.

Depending on the stock, where the rifle is stocked for iron sights I do enjoy the straight 1 inch tube for lowest possible mounting - I'd expect the comb on your Remington to be good for scope though.

My own preference is to swap out scopes for load development and take something off a varmint gun to shoot from a bench. With collimators today switching scopes and putting things back is easy and I'd check the zero before a hunt anyway.
Old September 6, 2006, 09:57 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Quote:
VX-III in 2.5-8X36
That one!