The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 4, 2005, 12:56 PM   #1
Metellus

Assault on Precinct 13

The movie Assault on Precinct 13 yet another example that proves that a platoon of guys with the latest tactical gear, night vision, lasers, picatinny rails galore, bdus, assualt vests, supressors, SIG 550 assault rifles & M4s & M16s all in .223 (obviously an underpowered round), HK MP5s in 9mm (another horrible round), etc.. will get beaten down by a desk jocky with a para ord .45ACP and a vintage tommy gun in .45ACP.

Yet another win for the tactical minimalist crowd and the legendary .45ACP (obviously superior to 9mm and .223).

I think I scared myself when I recognized every weapon in the movie. The movie reminded me of all the references to mall ninjas on this board.
Old July 4, 2005, 01:45 PM   #2
TiP99

If you kill the "star" it would be a boring movie. It is a movie btw and i would look pass leagues of research in favor of hollywood drama, sheesh.

Whatever you have to tell yourself to reaffirm you belief in the 45acp
If you want peace - prepare for war
Old July 4, 2005, 02:02 PM   #3
Purdue_XD40

theboxotruth had some interesting shot comparisions, the 223 hands down

Springfield XD .40 4" black Service Model - 2 hi cap mags
Saiga .308 - 16"
Saiga 7.62x39 - 20"
Ruger P85 - 9mm
Winchester 12 Guage Defender - 7+1 - OOO Federal Buck
Old July 4, 2005, 02:38 PM   #4
Bullrock

Quote:
will get beaten down by a desk jocky with a para ord .45ACP and a vintage tommy gun in .45ACP.
Hey, I fired one of those for the first time back in the mid-sixties. I was shooting down range, and almost ended up shooting a low flying plane out of the sky...

My later experiences were, jam, jam, jam, jam, jam, plink, jam...
Old July 4, 2005, 08:43 PM   #5
Jack Malloy

The fanciest gun in the original version was a short barrelled Model 27 magnum.
I refuse to watch remakes.
Old July 4, 2005, 11:01 PM   #6
payne

TiP99, the post I believe was to be sarcastic. Talkin bout the over blown, unrealistic expectations of holloywood and the way they dipict firearms.
Old July 5, 2005, 02:10 AM   #7
hawken50

it had to be sarcastic. he used the words "movie" and "proves" in the same sentance
Old July 5, 2005, 03:08 AM   #8
Metellus

another..

here's more proof from movies that show's the superior glock design in action. in mr. and mrs. smith at the action packed end the two hereos each show up with dual glock 18s with 33 round magazines. These 4 glock 18s with incredible accuracy and what seems like endless rounds take down a company of highly trained cqb experts armed with m4s. mr. smith mentions "be careful these [glock 18s] tend to jam" but they both blow through thousands of rounds without any problems. Glock Perfection at its finest!

also, it appears the most effcient way of taking down heavily armed assailants is standing back to back in a wide open department store and just hose down 9mm which shot out of a glock (yet another feature that makes glocks so good) will tear through body armor like tissue paper.

I guess I wasted money on my rock river arms ar-15 government since i already have a glock 17 with 33 round capacity.

In all seriousness... a couple scenes in "24" (otherwise a really great show) bothered me.. they show people gripping autos with their left thumb over the back of the auto's hammer (revolver style)... these supposedly highly trained guys would blow their thumb off if they shot a round.

But I did learn from "24" that you can take down guys with assault rifles with a HK USP or a Sig. Jack Bauer does it routinely.
Old July 5, 2005, 03:22 AM   #9
Mikkel

It all depends on the shooters ability to take the target down and nothing else. Calling the 9mm inferior.... blah :barf:
Old July 5, 2005, 04:29 AM   #10
NSO_w/_SIG

Quote:
It all depends on the shooters ability to take the target down and nothing else. Calling the 9mm inferior.... blah
I think someone's sarcasim detector is down.

Last edited by NSO_w/_SIG; July 5, 2005 at 07:36 AM.
Old July 5, 2005, 09:27 AM   #11
Mikkel

Really dont think so m8.
Old July 5, 2005, 10:50 AM   #12
Limeyfellow

These movies were so unrealistic anyway. If you want to know real tactical ninja skills that mall security needs, you need to talk with Gecko45.
Old July 5, 2005, 10:54 AM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

Watched Dawn of the Dead and I am convinced that if you are a mall ninja with two Glocks, you will get eaten up. Of course, everyone got eaten up.

If you look out the window and see a sea of zombies, might as well just shoot yourself -there's no HOPE!
Old July 5, 2005, 12:42 PM   #14
Heist

AOP13 = horrible, horrible movie. I wish I had my sixteen plus 1.5 hours back.
Old July 5, 2005, 05:22 PM   #15
poortrader

Do you remember Sheena?

To refresh you. A tribe of African warriors armed with bow and arrows fought a group of well trained and armed mercenaries. Obviously, the mercenaries were defeated. This shows how the bow and arrow is far superior to any firearm, no matter what caliber....

I LOVE THE MOVIES.

NRA Life Member
Old July 6, 2005, 08:25 PM   #16
TiP99

BO AND LUKE DUKE had bow and arrows. its gotta be the ****,
btw i didnt catch onto the sarcasm. I thought it was a blatant bash on the might 9mm. Sorry, im not to quick
Old July 6, 2005, 08:54 PM   #17
Metellus

glock

my carry gun is a glock 17 even though I own several very expensive 1911s (my latest favorite is the sa trp operator). i would disagree that the glock is the honda civic of firearms. i think the 1911 is since people customize 1911s all the time just like the civic. i don't know anyone who radically customizes a glock (skateboard grip tape, a slightly longer slide and mag release, and meprolights is considered custom for glocks). glocks are more like cars that everyone has or had is generally reliable but nobody customizes sort of like the ford taurus.
Old July 7, 2005, 10:18 PM   #18
TiP99

I would be inclined to somewhat agree with you.
Perhaps the toyota camry of firearms.
When i said the civic of firearms i ment that everyone has one. Drive a mile and count them, just like glocks everyone has one.
I didnt mean the customizing. But you do have a great point.