The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 13, 2015, 12:53 AM   #76
Lee6113

I bought a NIB XD mod 2 9mm off Gunbroker. I mailed them a money order and got the 3% discount, and am just waiting for the FFL to get the background check done. I saved about $50 out the door, give or take, and used the savings to buy an extra mag (actually 2).

Took a little long to wait for the mail back and forth, and now for the background check, but I'm not in a rush so no big deal.

I'd be more hesitant to buy a used handgun online, and would be looking for 1000+ positive ratings. For the dealer I bought from I checked the one negative rating I could find and found it to be a one-off that didn't really bother me.

Overall a great experience with only drawback being the length of the process. Probably won't be as bad once I get my CPL (applying for it tomorrow).
Old July 13, 2015, 09:39 AM   #77
vasomage

I recently made a purchase from Kentucky Guns. I have not heard anyone say much about their site,but for my experience it was really great.
Customer service was responsive (I was excited for my new 686 pro +) and status updates could be easily seen online.
The price was significantly better than anywhere else except maybe gunbroker and their transfer policy seemed also excellent.

I promise I don't work for them :-) but this was my first online experience and everything really went well.

I was called by my LGS, I went and inspected it (Kentucky Guns lets you inspect it and not accept it no charge) and I'm currently just waiting the 7 day check.
Old July 13, 2015, 10:38 AM   #78
tallball

Welcome to the Dark Side, Vaso.

A computer, a credit card, a "great deal", and a few moments of weakness can make you the owner of yet another fine firearm.
Old July 13, 2015, 07:06 PM   #79
osbornk

Quote:
Well, if you don't give a cash discount for someone saving you money on your profit margin, I wouldn't want to shop at your place. Seems rather unfair.
Old July 14, 2015, 12:45 PM   #80
DA/SA Fan

What's with this "upcharge" stuff? The seller is being nice and giving you a discount if they don't have to pay the CC fees. Sheesh some people just want it all! Many retailers just figure the CC charge as a cost o doing business and come up with their pricing with that already included.
Old July 14, 2015, 03:39 PM   #81
Carmady

There's a lot of smoke and mirrors with pricing everywhere.

I don't believe there's a "cash discount," I think they just call it that so the CC users don't cry about being charged extra.

The cash price is the price. Any fees incurred by the seller as a result of allowing other payment methods are kindly passed along to the buyers, so the CC price is higher. The seller doesn't make more on the CC sales, but he tries not to make less due to the CC fees.

If there was a "cash discount" the CC price would be the advertised price, and there'd be something saying there's a 3% cash discount for non-CC transactions. I haven't seen any listings worded that way.

A 3% discount involves subtraction, as in $X - $.03X = Cash Discount Price, where $X is the price.
Old July 14, 2015, 05:09 PM   #82
DA/SA Fan

Just look at the prices. If the cash discount is less than everyone else is charging for the same gun.......Duh!
Old July 15, 2015, 05:26 PM   #83
Boncrayon

Buying Handgun online experience

The first question is for what purpose are you looking for a particular firearm. The second is which one meets your need.

Go to the firing range and inquire with other shooters "why" they really like their firearm(s). Go to gun departments and stores and ask them what people are buying and what models are purchased more than others. Determine your likes (revolvers, semi-autos, rifles, etc.) and then shop locally for the pricing of your favored that fit's your budget. If they can be found on the internet from reputable sites, you will need a firearms dealer to receive it for a small fee and the shipping. Most important is the safety element and training which you can find at your local firing range or skilled professionals or regular users...eye and ear protection is a must.
Old July 16, 2015, 07:48 PM   #84
Joe_Pike

I just bought a S&W M&P 9c on Gunbroker from Sportsman's Supply for a smokin' price. Unfortunately they sent me the wrong gun. The one pictured was sans safety, the one I received was not. I emailed them but never heard anything back from them. I have no use for a striker fired gun with a thumb safety, so, the gun will be sold or traded.