The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2005, 11:58 PM   #1
DaneN

Handloads at higher altitudes

I've got a load for my 308 that uses 46.4 grains of IMR 4895 behind a 150 grain spire point. Its the maximum recommended load in the Hornady 5th edition for the round, but I get terrific accuracy and muzzle velocity.

I'll get an opportunity to go elk hunting at about 8000 feet in Colorado; my current altitude is around 500 feet. I'm a little worried about chamber pressure due to the altitude change, and was wondering if anyone knew how the pressure effects the round and if I should compensate for it.

I looked online but couldn't find any way to figure out what the change will be. I can get a muzzle reading up there and re-calculate the ballistics, I'm more worried about the chamber pressure.

Thanks in advance.
Old September 23, 2005, 01:28 AM   #2
mete

I don't ever remember seeing data on altitude/pressure . There is data on temperature vs pressure and velocity therefore loads should be developed in the summer and they will be safe in the winter.
Old September 23, 2005, 07:22 AM   #3
MADISON

high altitudes

High Altitude...Lower temperature?
Wouldn't that fall under the "temperature" rule?
If wou work up a load in the winder, it will probablly be "too hot" in June or July. You can work up a load in the heat of the summer and it will not shoot the same in the winter.
Old September 23, 2005, 12:26 PM   #4
Foxman

High altitude

The air pressure and density is lower so it should go a few fps faster, other wise it shouldnt be an issue.
Old September 23, 2005, 01:31 PM   #5
DaneN

Thanks everyone, I worked this up in the Texas summer and will shoot it in the Colorado winter. It sounds like the pressure will be fine but I might lose a few fps due to temp and gain some due to air pressure.
Old September 24, 2005, 04:37 PM   #6
Morgan

There was a good article on this in Front Sight not long ago.

Volume 22, No. 4, July/August 2005. See The Chronoman Report: Elevation and Velocity, page 18.

The quick and dirty is that most loads have higher velocity at higher elevation.
Old September 26, 2005, 10:23 AM   #7
30Cal

It will shoot somewhat higher due to lower air density. Chamber pressure isn't an issue though.
Old September 26, 2005, 02:29 PM   #8
Crosshair

Yea, chamber pressure is going to be OK, you are only loosing a few PSI at 8000 vs 500 ft. Compare that to the 50,000+ PSI that a 308 generates. It is not going to be an issue. Now for the big question, what about a gun in space?
Old September 26, 2005, 05:57 PM   #9
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
Quote:
Now for the big question, what about a gun in space?
Atmosphere: 14PSI.
.308: 50,000PSI.
.308 in space: 49,986PSI.

No appreciable bullet drop, no bullet deceleration. Poke a hole and Mr. Target is a goner. Recoil might suck though.

As a very off topic thought... Sabots would rule the day. Ultra-high-velocity, low-lead-time rounds... Just gotta poke that hole in Mr. Target.

On the other hand, temperatures vary wildly in space so you might have issues there...

Wolfe... (Sorry 'bout the thread hijacking; carry on.)

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.
Old September 26, 2005, 09:27 PM   #10
Crosshair

Ya, nothing to worry about with velocity in space, but wow is Mr. Newton going to have fun with you.