The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 21, 2005, 08:00 PM   #1
Wildalaska

What Increments are you working up with?

Just curious for you rifle loaders...what increments are you using in load development...1? .5...something different?

WildgrainsAlaska
Old September 21, 2005, 08:16 PM   #2
BigSlick

For rifle loads in the 20-30 gr range, I initially work up with .2 gr increments, until I find what shoots best on paper, then go .1 on either side, then work with seating depth, then primers (slightly reducing if near max when a new primer is used of course).

For 30-50 gr I start at the low end and work up in .4 gr increments., dial in with .2 on either side and then do a final tune with primers and .1 gr variations.

For anything over 50gr I use .5gr and work up, dial in with .2 on either side and then do final tune with primers and .1gr.

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old September 22, 2005, 09:35 AM   #3
Leftoverdj

Normally, for anything over 30 grain charges, I go up by grains. I'll go to half grains when I am having trouble deciding between two adjoining charges, or in those very rare cases when groups are still tightening as I approach max.
Old September 22, 2005, 09:55 AM   #4
mtnbkr

.5gr

This is in my 6.5x55 Winchester.

I've not seen enough difference in the results to go smaller than that.

FWIW, in small cases with max loads, I'll go as small as .1gr in handgun loads, but these are loads where "max" is in the 3-4gr range.

Chris
Old September 22, 2005, 11:15 AM   #5
zeisloft

About the same as Slick except I adjust seating depth 1st. Find the depth that shoots the best then work powder, and finally primer. 30gn or less of case capacity (except the tiny .17) .2gn. Up to 50gn by .5 gn. Up to 80 gn of case capacity, adjust by 1 gn. Up to 100 gn, adjust by 2 gn. I dont currently load anything with greater capacity, so beyond that...I have no experience.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old September 22, 2005, 12:15 PM   #6
RugerOldArmy

.5 to get close. If, say 44.5 was the best, then I try .1 batches around the best group. (say 44.3, 44.4, 44.5, 44.6, 44.7). I try to find a range of .3 where all the groups seem about the same, i.e. good, (like 44.5, 44.6, and 44.7), and then choose the middle one. (44.6 in the example) This gives me some confidence that a .1 variance in the throw won't hurt much.

After that, I play with OAL. This is a lot of work, but once you find it, you're good-to-go.
Old September 22, 2005, 03:33 PM   #7
J.D.B.

I bracket a charge by .2 gr. as it is the smallest amount I can feel when firing (handgun).
Josh