The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 24, 2006, 05:27 PM   #26
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Capt. Charlie

I think that some states have written statutes that are more restrictive about surreptitious recording.
That may very well be. Still, I find it difficult to believe that anyone would fault you for taping a robbery attempt, especially when you're the victim. Remember, we aren't talking about a sneaky taping of an idle conversation here. Here, the BG's defense atty. may squawk about the tape, but the prosecutor would credit you for quick thinking.

Quote:
The Federal law makes more sense, since if you are talking into a device that sends your voice to someplace out of your sight, you can't really claim to have an "expectation of privacy".
"Expectation of privacy" is a can of worms. There are places where it's obvious that you do or you don't, but there are a ton of cases where that's a gray area. The courts have even ruled both ways on a phone booth. If you leave the door to the booth open, you have no expectation of privacy, but if you close it, you do. If the door isn't functional, you do. It's even been argued that facing the phone booth door, where others can see you talking, reduces your expectation of privacy .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old March 18, 2006, 09:12 AM   #27
garryc

In Ohio a recorder is a great idea! If you get pulled over by the cops you are required to tell them immediately that you have a CCW even if you are not carrying at the time. Who's to say the cop is not an A_HOLE and says you didn't tell him, It would be nice if you could use a cell and transmit the conversation to a recorder in your home.
We have a great many arrogant cops around here. One who I work with told me that if I was carrying a gun I'd be looking down his!! I asked him how he would be justified in violating the law when I was in compliance, he said, "I am the law in my town!!" The Blatant Arrogance!!
Old March 18, 2006, 03:30 PM   #28
tegemu

I believe the missing letter is the one between "D" and "F" in the alphabet. Not a great challenge to figure out.
Old March 18, 2006, 08:24 PM   #29
atlctyslkr

If you're taping you've got to do everything by the book in the event of an altercation. It's not just your evidence it's the other guy's too. Most eye witnesses will back you up and will lean twoard the hero, not the BG.
Old March 18, 2006, 10:24 PM   #30
Dust_Devil

You guys would just use the tape to record that girl you met that said she'll go out with you one day and then never does and you can take the recording back to her and say, "Remember when...", "Here I have proof"