The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 26, 2013, 08:15 AM   #26
jonathanmanopla

thanks for the Info So this is the Last Version Was Made of this Gun

Something else to know about it
Old December 27, 2013, 08:21 AM   #27
jonathanmanopla

Someone knows if the Fobus paddle holster works with the 3913LS or wich holster works

Thanks

http://www.fobusholster.com/products...ER-2866-0.html
Old December 27, 2013, 09:58 AM   #28
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanmanopla
thanks for the Info So this is the Last Version Was Made of this Gun
No, you're not understanding the generations correctly.

S&W metal-frame centerfire pistols were made in 3 design generations. In short:
  • 1st-generation: 2-digit model numbers, except for the rare Model 147A. Mostly 9mm, except Model 52 (.38 Special) and some rare or experimental variants of the 9mm models. Separate screw-on grip panels, separate barrel bushing, no firing pin block, round trigger guard, front sight integral with slide, rear sight screw-adjustable for windage only, decocker/safety lever on LH side only. Additionally, all production models were full-size, although aftermarket compact conversions exist. Produced late 1950's until early 1980's.
  • 2nd-generation: 3-digit model numbers that start with 4 (except 410, 411, & 457), 5, 6, or 7. Trigger-actuated firing pin block added for safer DA/safety-off carry. Stainless steel models introduced (6xx model numbers), along with double-stack compact 9mm models (469, 669) and single-stack full-size .45ACP models (645 & 745). Barrel bushing improved, RH-side ambi decocker/safety initially optional and later standard, square trigger guard introduced early in production, rear sight changed from windage-adjustable unit to either a fixed blade or a much larger windage AND elevation-adjustable unit. Produced early 1980's to late 1980's.
  • 3rd-generation: All 4-digit models numbers, 3-digit "Value Series" (457, 410, 411, 908, 910, & 915), 952, 945, and subcompact CS9, CS40, and CS45. The most substantial redesign. Integral barrel bushing and coned barrel*, front sight dovetailed into slide, RH-side decocker/safety attachment changed from screw to plunger and tab*, round trigger guard reintroduced early in production (and used on almost all compacts), grips changed from separate screw-on panels to pinned one-piece hard-plastic wraparound unit, various internal improvements, DAO models introduced, subcompacts introduced, .40S&W and 10mm Auto models introduced. Produced late 1980's-2009, although most models were discontinued in the early 2000's, and the Performance Center still makes a few special models from time to time.
All Model 3913's are 3rd-generation. Your M3913LS (NL?) actually appears to be an earlier gun, as it has a flash-chrome trigger rather than a metal injection molded (MIM) trigger. More here:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...fferences.html

FWIW the 3913LS and 3913NL were dropped from production earlier than other versions of the pistol; the last version of the Model 3913 to be retired was the 3913TSW, which featured extra slide machining and an accessory rail. (It was actually one of the very last 3rd-gens produced.)

*FOOTNOTE: These features- the integral barrel bushing with coned barrel, and plunger-and-tab RH-side decocker/safety lever- were actually introduced late in the 2nd-gen model run on the M645, essentially on a trial basis. However, they're generally considered to be 3rd-gen features.

Last edited by carguychris; December 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM. Reason: minor edit...
Old December 27, 2013, 11:11 AM   #29
jonathanmanopla

thanks carguychris for all your time explaining to me

so you can tell me more or less the gear of production of my gun

the serial Number is TFB8XXX

THANKS FOR ALL
Old December 27, 2013, 03:02 PM   #30
Wreck-n-Crew

Learn something new everyday. I didn't know the 3rd gens had 3 digit "value" pistols.
Old December 27, 2013, 03:50 PM   #31
Sevens

There's a wee bit of a hole in the index look up for that particular serial number, but the big book suggests 1989 or 1990 as a year of production.
Old December 27, 2013, 10:25 PM   #32
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck-n-Crew
I didn't know the 3rd gens had 3 digit "value" pistols.
Yes, and they actually made a Value Series equivalent of the Model 3913- the Model 908S. (The similar Model 908 had blued finish and was analogous to a Model 3914.)

The Value Series pistols had simpler and more blocky slide machining, no RH-side ambidextrous decocker/safety lever, and plastic sights, guide rods, and trigger drawbar disconnectors. The plastic parts could be interchanged for standard 3rd-gen metal parts, although only the guide rod is generally problematic; the plastic has a tendency to flex and cause the rod pop out of the assembly notch under the barrel during reassembly, and the problem tends to get progressively worse as the mating surface gradually rounds itself off.

In addition, the later-production full-size M910 and M410 were redesigned to lock up at the ejection port rather than with a barrel lug like other S&W metal-frame pistols; however, I'm unsure whether the 908 series was ever modified this way.
Old December 27, 2013, 10:27 PM   #33
rrockefe

You should be aware that S&W does NOT warranty police trade-in guns! I just went through the exercise of sending mine in with a cracked frame after I gave them the serial # over the phone. They sent me a shipping label for it via e-mail. However, I got a call in a few days advising me of the fact they are not covered. New frames are not available, so I have a paperweight!
Old January 1, 2014, 07:36 PM   #34
jonathanmanopla

HI I FIND THIS 2 HOLSTER THAT FIT THE 3913 "LADYSMITH"

WICH ONE DO YOU RECOMEND ME

THANKS

http://www.code3tactical.com/safaril...e-holster.aspx

OR

http://www.midwestpolicegear.com/ake...e-holster.html
Old January 3, 2014, 03:17 PM   #35
Bart Noir

My blued 3913 Ladysmith (and the blued ones were only made for a single year, I believe) is my regular concealed carry gun. At least it is until I can get my XD-S modified and back in service.

I found a used inside-the-waist holster that was made for a 2nd Gen compact (Bianchi Pistol Pocket). Since I could stretch the leather strap to fit over the slightly longer 3rd Gen slide, it is now the holster I use. This lets me carry my 6904 in the same holster, since this gun has the older and larger squared-off trigger guard.

Your 3913 is an ideal gun for inside-the-waistband carry, since it is so slim. I recommend that over the larger holsters you linked to.

Bart Noir
Whose Ladysmith is loosing the blue finish in the slide. A Cerakote finish may be in the future for it.
Old January 6, 2014, 08:20 AM   #36
jonathanmanopla

thanks Bart Noir i gonna check , but im not really concern about hide totally the gun i Use a LOOSE SHIRT to cover the gun thanks for all
Old January 10, 2014, 09:49 PM   #37
jonathanmanopla

Hi . Someone try another magazine brand in the 3913ls i want to find a magazine with at least 12 shots

Someone

Thanks for all
Old January 21, 2014, 05:27 PM   #38
dgludwig

An old thread, to be sure, but to answer the op's most recent question regarding the possibility of getting a magazine that holds "at least 12 shots" for his Model 3913ls, it's not possible. The Model 3913 is a pistol designed to hold an eight-round capacity, single-stack magazine; a configuration that many prefer due to its inherent slimness, making it particularly desireable for carrying concealed. I carry a Model 6906 that has a 12 round magazine capacity but it's on the "fat" side when compared to the Model 3913 and its ilk. Like so many things in life, "you can't have your cake and it it too"...
Old January 21, 2014, 08:12 PM   #39
Bart Noir

You can use the 9-round magazine that was made for the Model 39 S&W and all full size single stack guns after that. They were smart in making the 1st Gen mags work in the 2nd or 3rd Gen guns, as long as other things matched. That means a single stack 9mm from one generation fits in any single stack 9mm gun from all generations, unless you try to use a compact magazine in the full size gun.

So search for Model 39 mags and they will work in your 3913. While this one is out of stock, you can get the idea:

9-round magazine

Be advised that the very first Model 39 magazines were only 8-rounders.

Bart Noir
Old January 27, 2014, 05:17 PM   #40
jonathanmanopla

thanks for the info i just buy 2 pro mags 10 rd mags on Ebay
Old January 27, 2014, 06:23 PM   #41
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Noir
They were smart in making the 1st Gen mags work in the 2nd or 3rd Gen guns, as long as other things matched. That means a single stack 9mm from one generation fits in any single stack 9mm gun from all generations, unless you try to use a compact magazine in the full size gun.
This statement is not entirely correct, although it's slightly off topic as it relates to the Model 3913.

S&W lengthened the grip frame of the 3rd-gen full-size single-stack 9mm models- the 3904, 3906, 909, and 952. OEM 8rd factory magazines for a 1st- or 2nd-gen full-size single-stack pistol (39, 439, 539, & 639) WILL NOT lock into these pistols; trust me, I've tried it. However, 3rd-gen single-stack mags WILL work in an earlier full-size pistol, and ANY of these mags will work in ANY of the compacts, although they'll protrude from the grip frame.

FWIW the 1st-2nd vs. 3rd-gen full-size mag compatibility issue isn't reflected in many of today's parts catalogs, because almost all of the full-size single-stack mags made during the last 15-20 years are 3rd-gen length. However, it's a major PITA if you cruise the gun shows looking for 3rd-gen mags, as there are a LOT of used mags in circulation for the earlier guns, but seemingly next to none for the 3rd-gens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanmanopla
...i just buy 2 pro mags 10 rd mags on Ebay
Good luck with that. Promags for S&W's do NOT have a good reputation.
Old January 27, 2014, 06:47 PM   #42
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanmanopla View Post
thanks for the info i just buy 2 pro mags 10 rd mags on Ebay

Noooooooo!!! Cancel. Those are the worst mags ever. Abort -.- mission abort.
Old January 28, 2014, 09:42 AM   #43
jonathanmanopla

ups i just recived yesterday one and the other is coming in a few days