The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 1, 2010, 02:28 PM   #1
DSWhite

stuck thumb safety

I'm not sure how to accurately describe this, but while disassembling my 1911-A1 (Springfield Armory GI) I somehow managed to remove the hammer plunge spring assy and cannot remove the thumb safety. the hammer does not seem to be engaging anything, so cocking it back to allow the safety to move is not possible. hammer moves freely and when spring assy is installed hammer will not stay cocked.

I'm stumped. any help is appreciated.
Old January 1, 2010, 07:52 PM   #2
govmule84

I'm not sure what is meant by "hammer plunge spring assembly", but I am fairly certain that if you remove the mainspring housing, grip safety, and sear spring, you should be able to reset the hammer in correct relationship to the sear and thumb safety.

Having said that, BE CAREFUL. Unload the gun, obvously, and be careful de-pinning the MSH. If you don't have a good set of punches or drifts, this will be a difficult, if not impossible job.

Also, if you're talking about the thumb safety spring, you may notice it has a kink in it. That's normal, to keep the tube contents from springin' to Kalamzoo when disassembling.

Good Luck!
Old January 1, 2010, 08:00 PM   #3
DSWhite

govmule,

i got it. the darn thing was stuck and I was unaware that the sear spring would com out before the thumb safety. thumb safety is the problem... it doesn't work! 3 month new handgun and the thumb safety spring housing does not stay tight to frame. don't have tools to fix, so it goes back to Springfield Armory.

thnks for the help. this is a great site, i will be checking in a lot in the future.
Old January 1, 2010, 08:06 PM   #4
govmule84

From what I understand, depending on what the age of your Springer is, the tube is either staked or glued to the frame.

Gluing appears to have a bad rap. Staking is supposed to be pretty solid. From what I understand, a properly staked tube will never come undone, but many guns are not staked correctly, and wind up being re-done.

One of the experts will chime in soon, I am sure.

-L.
Old January 2, 2010, 06:06 PM   #5
Wiskey_33

In the meantime...do some reading, so if you come across another problem it will be easier to get answers by using the proper terminology.
Old January 2, 2010, 07:38 PM   #6
govmule84

If he had the book, he wouldn't be asking the question

We figured out what he meant.