The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2013, 12:47 AM   #1
AL45

Shooting jacketed bullets without cannelure

I have some Hornady jacketed bullets sized to .451 without a cannelure that I want to shoot in a Ruger Blackhawk. How tight should I crimp them?
Old January 31, 2013, 02:26 AM   #2
mohr308

I don't shoot .451, but I shoot bullets without a cannelure and never crimp them.
Old January 31, 2013, 03:43 AM   #3
Hammerhead

Depends on the power level you're loading them to.

Speer recommends seating 200 and 230 grain non-cannelure bullets deep into the case and crimping over the shoulder for SWC's or on the nose for RN's. Of course that requires different data, so be careful.

The most important factor is good bullet tension. Use an absolute minimum amount of flare and case mouth expansion so the case gets a good grip on the bullet. If you get good bullet tension is it usually enough to hold the bullets without crimp for plinker loads.
Old January 31, 2013, 07:28 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I'll take it you shoot a 45 L Colt cartridge. Being a straight wall case hardly no crimping should you expect do on a light target round. The crimp for the most part was set when your brass was resized earlier. Being your bullet has no cannelure. So long as the cartridges mouth opening. It's (rim) looks tight up against the side of your bullet your good to go Sir..
Old January 31, 2013, 05:36 PM   #5
g.willikers

Are you using a roll crimp die?
If so, not much crimp or the mouth of the case will bite into the bullet, actually causing it to be loose in the case.
Crimping just enough to smooth out the case and allow easy loading into the cylinder should do it.
Use as little belling of the mouth for bullet insert will reduce the crimping necessary.
Old January 31, 2013, 09:25 PM   #6
AL45

Thanks for the information. I mostly shoot cast lead bullets, but thought I would try some jacketed. I loaded some Sierra 300 grain jacketed sized to .452, and they had a crimp groove. Those worked fine.
Old February 3, 2013, 06:19 AM   #7
Mike / Tx

I have loaded some Gold Dots for my Colt, which I had for the 45 ACP. They had no groove so I simply ran them up in the ACP seating die and let the taper crimp do it's job ironing out the lip of the cases. It worked out great, just had to add a spare ring to the die to adjust for the difference in height. These were loaded on a single stage press as well.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:14 AM   #8
rodfac

Plus 1 on Geewilliker's #5 post...excessive roll crimp actually results in looser bullet/case neck tension...a taper crimp works well for me and doesn't actually require a dedicated taper crimp die...you can use either a .45 LC or ACP sizing die, with the decapping rod removed, to taper the case mouth as necessary to prevent bullet movement in recoil. HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.