The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old June 18, 2014, 07:16 PM   #1
JASPERADO

Can someone tell me how to upload pictures in simple terms?

Can someone please explain, in simple terms, how to upload photos so I show my gun. Every time I click to upload, it keeps asking me for a URL. I have no idea what a URL is? But that's beside the point right now. Just spell it out in very clear to understand steps. It seems forums like this always make it difficult to do. Thanks.
Old June 18, 2014, 07:20 PM   #2
skywag

Start by going to photobucket.com, register, and upload your pictures there.

The come back for further instructions.
Old June 18, 2014, 07:30 PM   #3
WVsig

Basically you need a 3rd party hosting site like photobucket.

You upload your pics there and then link to them. Once they are uploaded they will have in internet address or URL.

This pics URL is http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...n043/sige1.jpg You can find any pic on the internet URL by right clicking on the image and clicking "view image info". By right clicking and choosing "copy image location" you are copying the URL.

You can use the "insert image" link above by cutting and pasting your photos url address.

Or

You can use the "IMG" from the "links to share this photo" located on the right hand side in photobucket which serve as a direct link without using the insert image button. Just click it and it automatically copies it then paste it in your thread.

or

You can cut and paste the url bracketed by "[img]insert URL here.....[/img]" Once you get used to it this is IMO the fastest way to do it.

Last edited by WVsig; June 18, 2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old June 18, 2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

No independent storage location needed

Below the area wherein you type your reply, scroll down until you see the "Additional Options" window.

Find the "Attach Files" rectangle with the "Manage Attachments" button. Click that.

Browse, add attachment and upload.

Which is how I attached the image at the bottom of this post

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Sample Pictures\Blue Hills.jpg

While it doesn't actually display in your message, it is only a user click away from being seen and does not require a third-party photo storage location.

Lost Sheep
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue Hills.jpg (27.9 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by Lost Sheep; June 18, 2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old June 18, 2014, 09:14 PM   #5
WVsig

Yeah but IIRC only members logged in will be able to view the pics and as you stated they are not displayed which IMHO makes it not as good.
Old June 18, 2014, 09:26 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

You don't need a Photobucket or other picture server. When you click REPLY, you come up with a window into which you type your reply (like this) and then go down and click on MANAGE ATTACHMENTS. Another window will open with three CHOOSE FILE buttons. Click on the first, select the picture you want, click on OPEN and then upload it. If you have other pictures, repeat for two and three. When done, close the window.

Your photo(s) will appear as thumbnail(s) which the viewer can click on.

This is a pic of a 50 round Thompson SMG drum.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50rddrum.JPG (65.7 KB, 28 views)
Old June 18, 2014, 09:31 PM   #7
WVsig

I guess I am the only one who finds the thumbnail annoying. LOL

Also once you create the thumbnail you can post it in the thread....

Old June 18, 2014, 11:30 PM   #8
Lost Sheep

Thank, WVSig

WVSig taught me something new. Once the picture has appeared (even just a a clickable link), it can be linked to ad made to appear in the body of a post.

Who knew! WVSig knew.

This is how it looks:

[ I M G ] h t t p : / /thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=95726&d=1403143587 [ / I M G ]

Lost Sheep

(Now to figure out how to bypass the middleman, the clickable link)
Old June 19, 2014, 06:29 PM   #9
Peter M. Eick

If you think you might like to do it a lot, go buy yourself your own little chunk of the internet.

Go to some hosting company like "godaddy.com" and set up a web site and domain name. Once you get it registered most will allow you ftp access so you can use ftp (Filezilla.exe is a good one) to transfer your pictures up onto the net. Then you can link to it easily using the image link syntax such as the following (ignore the extra spaces in the "img" command below

[i m g]http://your_web_site.com/picture1.jpg[/i m g]

This should stick a copy of your picture hosted on your web site here.
Old June 19, 2014, 07:14 PM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

This isn't a thread on revolvers, so we're off to tech support.
Old June 20, 2014, 03:19 AM   #11
JASPERADO

Dear James K. I think I did it your way. I appreciate everyone's input, but there should still be a much easier way, just like on facebook or when you want to send a picture in an email. Just click on that stupid looking paper clip, that I guess represents attachments, and it brings you right to your photos.
Old June 20, 2014, 03:43 AM   #12
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASPERADO[/quote
Dear James K. I think I did it your way. I appreciate everyone's input, but there should still be a much easier way, just like on facebook or when you want to send a picture in an email. Just click on that stupid looking paper clip, that I guess represents attachments, and it brings you right to your photos.
The software for this forum is not always the most user friendly or newbie friendly. That said, I'd rather have to spend some time learning the software on a site that doesn't collect my information and sell it to everybody and their mother while loading up the page with ads. It's a give and take, but I promise you, once you practice a few times, you'll get the hang of it.

There's a practice forum if you need to practice posting a picture and embedidng it.