The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 17, 2012, 09:01 AM   #1
Mike Irwin
Staff

Rats. Missed it by that much...

Missed out on what was reported to be a very nice Colt Official Police 4" made in the 1950s.

Price was good, very good if in the condition it was reported to be in.

I was talking with the owner; unfortunately someone else was also talking with the owner at the same time, and he bit first.

Sigh.

I'd say a day late and a dollar short, but this time it was just a day late because I actually had the dollars...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 17, 2012, 10:48 AM   #2
sgms

Feel you pain on that one, been there and done that more than once.
Old November 17, 2012, 11:02 AM   #3
PetahW

No disrespect, but that's where the expression came from: "Money talks, BS walks".

(That, and: "Poop, or get off the pot" )

I learned loooong ago, if I like "it" at all, I buy "it"; If "it" doesn't work out, I later sell "it" off - but at least I don't lose "it".

Old November 17, 2012, 11:07 AM   #4
JT-AR-MG42

Know the feeling! For me it was 4 hours short.

Couldn't make Reno. Got off work at noon on Thursday, but waited until 4 to call my buddy who was down there.

Told me about a nice straight Diamondback 2 1/2" .38 priced to MOVE. 1/2 of MSGP (Manufacturers suggested gouging price)

Asked him to head back over and pick it up. Gone. Oh well, can't have 'em all.

JT
Old November 17, 2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Ozzieman

Had I known?
I picked up the one shown in the thread this summer for 150$, not kidding. Barrel was full of crap along with the cylinder and rust. It had last been fired in the 60’s and never cleaned.
It actually cleaned up nicely. The barrel and cylinder had no pits but the rust on the side of the cylinder and side of the barrel left a very small aria of pitting. I sold it for 450$ and used the money to get a 24-3 Lew Horton.
I would have kept the Colt but it didn’t fit my hand. I know 450 is a little low but the Horton needed me to take it home a lot worse than the Colt.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...=colt+official

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 17, 2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

I never even had a chance to get to the pot or to BS. I found the ad yesterday morning and made contact and by yesterday afternoon the guy had another offer on it before I left the office for the day.

Old November 17, 2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Frasier

My FLGS got about half a dozen of those old Colts in and they were gone in about a week.
Old November 17, 2012, 09:12 PM   #8
PetahW

That sucks, Mike - If you made a phone deal to take it, and he sold it out from under you, IMO the seller wasn't much of a stand-up guy.

Old November 18, 2012, 12:37 AM   #9
Winchester_73

At least there are plenty of Official Police and the earlier Army Special guns to go around, AND at least you didn't miss out on a shooting master or 1st gen SAA - it could always be worse...

Last edited by Winchester_73; November 18, 2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old November 18, 2012, 04:57 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

I didn't make any phone deals.

I wanted to look at it first.

The seller is CLEAN on this transaction, guys. I simply was second in line, and the guy who was first in line bought it.

Old November 18, 2012, 08:51 AM   #11
rodfac

What caliber, Mike? Can't remember, did Colt make it in a "target" version as well?... Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:22 AM   #12
redhawk45

The V spring Colt double action revolvers are moving quite well right now.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:53 PM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

It was a .38 Special.

Old November 18, 2012, 05:44 PM   #14
bedbugbilly

Mike - sorry to hear of your "near miss" . . . I've been in the same spot a couple of times in regards to an OP 4". It's at the top of my list . . . just need to be int he right spot at the right time. I've got a Army Special (38) with a 6" barrel (made 1910) and it really needs a "brother" with a "shorter tail".

Hopefully you'll run across another one when the stars and planets are all aligned in your favor . . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 18, 2012, 10:56 PM   #15
Mr. James

Aw, crap. Sorry to hear about that, Mike. My "collection," a rather ostentatious way to refer to my motley little bag of tools, is sorely lacking any representatives from the Colt revolver line, a failing I'm resolved to redress!

But I've certainly been there - "Sorry, dude, it's sold! Thanks for askin'."

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat