The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 11, 2013, 02:34 PM   #1
ChasingWhitetail91

Black powder for deer?

Looking to buy a inline black powder rifle. I am only looking to spend 200$ or so, new or used. Any advice on brands/ caliber size for hunting would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 11, 2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Doyle

It's hard to beat the T/C Omega Z5. The Z5 is the "bare bones" model with plain stock and blued barrel. The action is the same as the other Omega models costing twice as much. I've seen them on clearance at Walmart for $200.

The only reason I sold mine was because I bought a ML barrel for my Encore.
Old April 11, 2013, 02:47 PM   #3
ChasingWhitetail91

The one I seen on clearance today was a Rogue, anyone familiar with these? One more question, does anybody know if inline rifles can be used during the entire black powder season in CT or is there a special season for the inlines?

Last edited by ChasingWhitetail91; April 11, 2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old April 11, 2013, 04:20 PM   #4
tnelson31

I do not know about CT laws.

I use a CVA Wolf when using a rifle to hunt deer. 50 cal--hits them like a ton of bricks.
Old April 11, 2013, 05:07 PM   #5
ChasingWhitetail91

How bad is the exit wound with the .50 caliber?
Old April 11, 2013, 06:02 PM   #6
cdmckane

Re: Black powder for deer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingWhitetail91 View Post
How bad is the exit wound with the .50 caliber?
It'll depend on the round you're using. I use the Hornady SST in my TC Pro Hunter. It's the same projectile as is used in their SST 20ga sabot rounds. I killed three deer with them last fall. Two with the 20g and one with the ML. All three had impressive exit wounds but nothing that would be considered excessive. All three dropped in their tracks.
Old April 11, 2013, 07:08 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

I would liik at T/C used before anything else new. I have a used thunderhawk and it was a great buy. The T/C products are just really well put together.

I have only used mine inside 50 yards and all have gone through. I use the T/C bullets with yellow plastic tips.
Old April 11, 2013, 07:43 PM   #8
WallaceB

Used TC is a great way to go.
Old April 11, 2013, 08:40 PM   #9
Doyle

Quote:
I use the T/C bullets with yellow plastic tips.
John, those are made by Hornady. The Hornady branded version is the SST described in an earlier post. It has the red tip. The ONLY difference other than the color of the tip is the price. The Hornady brand is quite a bit cheaper per round (it is sold in a larger package for about the same $ as the T/C shockwave).
Old April 11, 2013, 09:41 PM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I am only looking to spend 200$ or so, new or used. Any advice on brands/ caliber si

The one thing I like about T/C Omega's. They come up to the shoulder nicely and their barrel sighting falls right in place for these eyes. Another 50-cal rifle under $200.00 is the CVA Wolf. (primarily a entry rifle) Many times I've seen the Wolf on-sale at well known stores. A couple companions of mine use the Wolf. They manage to get their deer every year since they've owned their Wolf's.
From watching my companions. They prefer to use Triple 777 pellets and some sort of T/C sabot. (I just happen to see the sabots T/Cs packaging on a couple of occasions)
Old April 12, 2013, 07:01 AM   #11
tnelson31

I shot a bunch of sabot, conical and powerbelt bullets to see what it shot best with, it really likes the powerbelt. I can do 6-8" groups at 100 yards, iron sights.
Old April 12, 2013, 07:24 AM   #12
Doyle

Quote:
I can do 6-8" groups at 100 yards, iron sights.
6-8" groups? I've never seen Powerbelts group worth a crap and your example doesn't help their reputation. The Hornady SST's I shoot (granted with a scope) group with holes almost touching each other.
Old April 12, 2013, 09:01 AM   #13
cdmckane

Re: Black powder for deer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
6-8" groups? I've never seen Powerbelts group worth a crap and your example doesn't help their reputation. The Hornady SST's I shoot (granted with a scope) group with holes almost touching each other.
I'm grouping the SSTs at 3" in my TC Wildcat with open sights. Three shot groups under s half dollar out of my scoped TC Pro Hunter
Old April 12, 2013, 11:42 AM   #14
Rembrandt

50 caliber is a good choice, mine is a Knight MK85 purchased 25 years ago. Used ones can be had pretty reasonable.

Old April 12, 2013, 09:10 PM   #15
WallaceB

The Hornady SST with Blackhorn 209 has been a great combination
Old April 12, 2013, 09:13 PM   #16
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
The Hornady brand is quite a bit cheaper per round (it is sold in a larger package for about the same $ as the T/C shockwave).
This is true. Once I shoot up what I have I will not be buying more T/C, but they have worked well. Using pyrodex pellets and these bullets it runs about $2 a shot. I don't shoot my inline enough that it makes a huge difference though. I spend a whole lot more getting to my hunting grounds.
Old April 13, 2013, 08:44 AM   #17
ChasingWhitetail91

I have been looking like crazy but cannot find any material on this Rogue muzzle loader I seen at Walmart. It was an inline model, black syn-stock, stainless barrel. I am guessing Rogue is the model and not the manufacturer. It is the last one they will have until the season comes around and for 199$ its right in my price range. Any information on these would be appreciated. I would have asked the employee, but he was less then helpful seeing as he gave me the sxs when I first asked to see the muzzleloader.
Old April 13, 2013, 02:07 PM   #18
TimSr

TC stuff is great, but you'll have trouble finding something in your price range. I would recommend going to your local Walmart and getting a modestly priced CVA. They work great, are well made, very accurate, not fancy, but will definately do the job, and they are pre-drilled if you decide to add a scope later. They have synthetic stock, and easily removable breech plug. My son has one I picked up for Christmas 2 years ago for $175.00 new. The only problem now is that Walmart removes them from the shelves after deer season here, and they go back again next fall, though I'm sure you could purchase one online and pick it up at your local store.

.50 cal is by far the best way to go, simply because that's the one you'll easily find supplies most available for on any store shelves such as bullets, powder pellets, etc.

Here is my Bass Pro Shops kit gun I purchased for $80 in the 1980's

Last edited by TimSr; April 13, 2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old April 13, 2013, 02:38 PM   #19
Jack O'Conner

CVA is the TOP selling brand in North America and for good reasons:
- well designed in later years
- very accurate
- reasonably priced

Even the lower cost models are capable of outstanding accuracy. Mine is the older Optima model from 2006 and its a keeper!

Jack
Old April 14, 2013, 10:49 AM   #20
22-rimfire

I'd choose the TC Omega and just get the best price you can find. I am no BP expert, but they come nicely to the shoulder and have good sights. I paid $235 from mine new in 2006 and have no idea what they sell for now. It doesn't get shot much as I just never got into the BP thing. But it is available should I decide to do a smokepole hunt.
Old April 14, 2013, 11:46 AM   #21
big al hunter

Between my friends and family we have hunted with 8 or 10 BP guns of various make. My personal experience with CVA is that all 5 or 6 of them were very accurate with the right load. For the price they are hard to beat. The other brands are also good but more $. If you can find one of these in your budget get one instead of CVA: Modern Muzzle loading(knight), Remington 700 ML, Thompson Center.

Remember that every rifle will have a favorite bullet. Try several if your first bullet is not as accurate as you expected. Some of our hunting party's guns love powerbelts, some not so much. Just because a few people on the internet say a model won't shoot it does not mean your gun of the same model won't.
Old April 14, 2013, 12:10 PM   #22
thallub

in 2000 i got back into muzleloader hunting. Bought a .50 CVA StagHorn for $85 at Wal-Mart. That cheap gun shoots better than my expensive Encore. It has accounted for about 20-30 deer and a hundred or two wild hogs.
Old April 14, 2013, 11:02 PM   #23
QuarterHorse

Love my T/C Triumph. The fact my three shot groups are touching at 100 yards doesn't hurt either LOL.
Old April 15, 2013, 06:58 AM   #24
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Apparently know-one so far on this thread knows who made that Rogue model you were looking at. If your really interested in that particular rifle. Just go back to wallmart for another look. (perhaps a different Wallmart store altogether may work out better for you)

Since the gun laws have recently changed in your State. (Connecticut) I have no other advice to offer.

S/S
Old April 15, 2013, 08:59 AM   #25
TX Hunter

I have a Traditions Persuit, and Its very accurate, but I bought my Father in Law a CVA for Christmas and I like it better, the CVA wasnt much over 200 at a Wallmart Store in Lousiana.