The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 22, 2013, 02:38 PM   #1
M1Rifle30-06

Benelli M2 Questions

How long has the Benelli M2 been on the market? I hear its pretty reliable and I'm trying to get a semi auto shotgun for home defense. I want something that is well tested and will last a long time.

How does the M2 do with light 2 3/4" dove and trap loads? Also, should my home defense shotgun be expected to run on these light loads? I only plan on using 2 3/4" 00 buck. But because I will be trusting my life to the weapon, it must be very reliable.

And overall, how is the M2?
Old January 22, 2013, 05:35 PM   #2
PetahW

IMO, if someone needs to ask about a Benelli's reliability, they'll never understand; if they understand, they don't need it to be explained.

Because.................. The Benelli M1/M2 is a Gold Standard for reliability. .

Old January 23, 2013, 02:47 AM   #3
M1Rifle30-06

When did the M2 come out?
Old January 23, 2013, 05:36 PM   #4
maxman894

Not sure on when it was first produced, but I can promise you that you will never look back on your purchase with regret. I love mine, and it is ridiculously accurate. I had some problems with reliability when I first got the gun, but once I put about 100 rounds downrange, it has been dead nuts reliable. I have nothing but positives to say about the Benelli m2. I would, however, caution you against using light loads in the gun. Mine doesn't run well with extremely light loads, but it could also just be my particular gun. Just my 2 cents.
Old January 23, 2013, 09:00 PM   #5
jmr40

The M-2 replaced the M-1 in 2005. I had owned an older M-1 for several years when I got a chance to buy another 1 year old M-1 at a good price. Some guy had bought the M-1, used it one year and had to have the newer M-2 when they came out. He sold it to me to purchase the newer gun.

My M-1's shoot everything I put in them. They have been the most reliable guns I've ever owned including 870's pumps. I've owned gas guns made by Remington, Beretta, and Mossberg. The Beretta was the only one that came close.

I've owned one for about 10 years, the other 6. In all of those years I've never once had a malfunction using everything from cheap dove loads up to 3" turkey loads.

The M-2 should be just as reliable and the new stock design is supposed to help reduce recoil over the older M-1.