The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 7, 2009, 10:47 AM   #1
k3new

Non-resident FL CCW permit

Just wondering,

I recently received my FL non-resident CCW permit, and the Florida law says they DO NOT honor non-resident permits. Therefore, on my upcoming vacation to Florida, am I allowed to carry concealed?
Old June 7, 2009, 10:49 PM   #2
lwestatbus

What is a FL non-resident CCW Permit

What is this permit? I'm not sure what a Florida non-resident permit would be that isn't honored by Florida. ("FL" = Florida, right?)

I am a Florida CCW permit holder and I received a long list of states that honor reciprocity with my license renewal and I think that Florida honors those but I can't put my hands on the list right now.

But I remain curious as to what a FL non-resident permit is.
Old June 7, 2009, 11:30 PM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwestatbus
...I remain curious as to what a FL non-resident permit is.
Well, I have a Florida permit and I don't live in Florida. And the licensing folks in Florida knew that when they sent me my permit.

In any case, it's my understanding that Florida doesn't recognize non-resident permits issued by other states, even though it may recognize resident permits issued buy those states. And it's also my understanding that Florida recognizes all Florida permits, even those issued to persons who are not Florida residents.
Old June 8, 2009, 07:10 AM   #4
TailGator

>In any case, it's my understanding that Florida doesn't recognize non-resident permits issued by other states, even though it may recognize resident permits issued by those states. And it's also my understanding that Florida recognizes all Florida permits, even those issued to persons who are not Florida residents.<

Yup. http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html
Old June 8, 2009, 07:53 AM   #5
rzach

Florida only issue resident permits the difference is your address, it is for to be used in Florida.some state will recognize it with you address some will not

FLORIDA'S RECIPROCITY STATES
Alabama (1,3,5)
Alaska (1)
Arizona (6)
Arkansas (1)
Colorado (1,4)
Delaware
Georgia (1)
Idaho (3,6)
Indiana (1,3,6)
Kansas (1,4)
Kentucky
Louisiana (1)
Michigan (1,4)
Mississippi (1)
Missouri (1)
Montana (3)
Nevada (1,6)
New Hampshire (1,3,4,6)
New Mexico (1)
North Carolina (1)
North Dakota (3,6)
Ohio (1)
Oklahoma (1)
Pennsylvania (1,6)
South Carolina (1,4,6)
South Dakota (1,3)
Tennessee (1,6)
Texas (1,3,6)
Utah (1,6)
Vermont (2)
Virginia (1,6)
West Virginia (1,4)
Wyoming (1,3)

(1) While Florida's law allows licensees to carry stun guns, knives, and billy clubs in a concealed fashion, the laws in these states allow for concealed carry of handguns or pistols ONLY, NOT WEAPONS IN GENERAL. Florida license holders are prohibited from carrying other types of weapons while in these states.

(2) The State of VERMONT is unique in that it does not issue weapon/firearms licenses. Florida licensees - indeed, licensed or unlicensed citizens from any state - may carry in Vermont. This presents a problem for reciprocity with Florida. Florida law provides that an out-of-state resident must have in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm. Since Vermont residents have no such license, the right to concealed carry cannot be extended to them under Florida law.

(3) Individuals qualify for concealed weapon licenses in these states upon reaching 18 years of age. HOWEVER, any licensee of these reciprocity states who is not 21 years of age or older IS PROHIBITED from carrying a concealed weapon or firearm in Florida.

(4) These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida.

(5) The Attorney General's Office of the State of ALABAMA has indicated that Alabama will honor BOTH resident and non-resident Florida licenses. However, the Alabama Attorney General notes that there is some uncertainty as to the limits of Alabama's reciprocity law as it pertains to non-resident licenses. Pending clarification by the Alabama Legislature or a decision by an Alabama court, he urges non-resident Florida license holders to exercise caution. Refer to the Alabama AG's Web page for the latest information.

(6) These states issue concealed carry licenses to qualified individuals who are non-residents. These non-resident permits cannot be honored under Florida's reciprocity provision.

the state with number 4 will not honor people that do- not live in Fl.
Old June 11, 2009, 03:55 PM   #6
Dewhitewolf

Florida recognizes all Florida licenses, issued to residents and non-residents. The provision that Florida does not recognize licenses issued to non-residents refers to licenses issued by other states: example, a resident from New Jersey with a CCW license issued by Pennsylvania cannot use that license in Florida (even though PA residents with a PA CCW license may carry in FL). That same NJ resident may carry in Florida with a FL carry license.

I hope this clears up the confusion for you.
Old June 11, 2009, 04:25 PM   #7
csmsss

^^Yup^^
Old June 18, 2009, 07:06 PM   #8
ZoneIII

I realize this is an old thread but I was curious about this topic too and I suspect that others are as well. It makes sense that Florida would honor its own non-resident CCW permits but I would check with Florida on this rather than depending on someone's opinion here. If you are wrong and get caught with an illegal concealed weapon in Florida, it won't do you much good to tell the judge that you got your information from this forum.

I am an Illinois resident and I have a non-resident Florida CCW permit. (Illinois has NO concealed carry.) The original question is valid. Florida CCW rules (on their CCW webpage) state that they do not honor permits issued to non-residents of the issuing state. Ironically, that explicitly means that they don't honor non-resident CCW permits that they issue themselves. (They probably just need to clarify that. They probably just worded it wrong.) However, it makes little sense that they wouldn't honor their own non-resident permits because the only purpose of those permits would then be to allow non-resident Florida CCW holders to carry concealed in other states. In other words, they would provide an opportunity for people who's states don't issue CCW permits to carry concealed weapons in other states but not Florida. That makes no sense and would be hypocritical. I'm sure they don't mean that but that's what the rules say so be careful and check it out.

If someone has any "official" information to clarify this, I would appreciate a link to it. But Florida's publishedr rules mean literally what they say, your non-resident Florida CCW permit would not be valid in Florida - which would be ironic, to put it mildly. Dewhitewolf is almost certainly correct but he doesn't say if he is basing his comment on the actual law as it is written or just his own intepretation of the rules (which is probably correct). If he has a link to the actual text of the applicable laws, I would sure appreciate it if he posted it here. This is not an issue where one should rely on the opinions of helpful people in a forum such as this. You need facts. This needs clarification.

Last edited by ZoneIII; June 18, 2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old July 9, 2009, 06:59 AM   #9
Dewhitewolf

I read the packet of applicable laws that came with the FL concealed license application.

Fla. Stat. 790.06 (1) The Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified in this section.

[I find nothing in the above section that disqualifies non residents of Florida]

(2) The Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services shall issue a license if the applicant: (a) is a resident of the United States...[again, does not require residency in Florida].

The front of the actual license reads "The above named individual is licensed by the Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services, Division of Licensing in accordance with Section 790.06, Florida Statutes."

If this is not sufficient, call them at (850)245-5691 or if you want it in writing, write to them at:

Division of Licensing
Post Office Box 6687
Tallahassee, Florida 32314-6687

You can also visit the following site:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

Last edited by Dewhitewolf; July 9, 2009 at 07:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old July 9, 2009, 02:52 PM   #10
tyme
Staff

Best web-based concealed carry license tool I've seen:
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

Read the instructions just above the US map to figure out how to use it. Basically you click on each state you have a license from, and select whether you have a resident or non-resident permit. The map will change to show you which states let you carry and which don't.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)