The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 25, 2013, 05:54 PM   #51
Erikbal

Re: SD weapons conditions

I only have 2 guns, a Ruger SR9C and a S&W Bodyguard 380. The 380 is always on me wherever I go that is legal. At night it is in my pants pocket right next to the bed where I can easily reach it. I always have the safety on and one in the chamber with a full mag of 6. My Ruger stays under my bed in its case, and I have 2 mags for it I keep loaded locked in my lock box. That way if someone were to get their hands on the gun it would be worthless because they couldn't get to the mags. They couldn't even drop a round in the chamber and shoot it because it has a mag disconnect. Also there's no kids around or anything to worry about.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old February 25, 2013, 07:26 PM   #52
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
They couldn't even drop a round in the chamber and shoot it because it has a mag disconnect
Never thought of that use for a mag disconnect safety. I only keep my guns locked up, not my ammo, so this would be especially helpful if they just tried to put loose rounds in my handguns.

Although, thinking back on it now, if they manage to get a gun, they'll have a mag with it because I keep my mags with my guns...just an unloaded one.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 25, 2013, 07:34 PM   #53
zxcvbob

If a gun is in a holster, it's loaded with a round in the chamber (and decocked unless DAO.) If it's not in a holster, it's unloaded (but check to make sure.) I have a few cheap holsters that I never carry just for this purpose.

I haven't figured out a system for rifles yet. At the moment they are unloaded, but I have loaded magazines in the range bag.

My kids are grown. When grandkids come along, the guns will all be locked up unless on my person.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:58 PM   #54
The Great Mahoo

SD weapons conditions

My home protection gun is usually just whatever gun I have been carrying as of late.

If its one of my revolvers, I keep it with cylinder loaded, either in my quick-access safe or in the holster on my nightstand or desk in my room.

If its an auto I keep it chambered in the holster, or chamber-empty in the safe.

Any gun being carried is carried with mag full and chamber loaded, or cylinder full, while on my person.

All other guns are kept locked up in the safe, unloaded. I do have several mags / speed loaders in a drawer near the guns, though. However, the safe is in the basement, so not readily accessible from my room or rest of the house.
Old March 10, 2013, 03:19 AM   #55
Brit

My sleep pattern is all messed up! Got tired really early, slept for a few hours, now 3AM, actually, looking at the day it is (Spring forward) actual time, is 4AM.

Fixed the watch!

Knowing I will not be back in bed for a while, dressed in robe, with Glock 19, loaded, in first pocket available, cell phone in the other pocket.

Where we live, home invasion, not very likely, but possible. Flash light next to LapTop. One on bed side table. Glock 19 will be back to that same table when I hit the sheets again.

Thinking Paranoia? Am I? At 77 YOA, I got to be alive still, with the thought process I have. So why change now?
Old March 10, 2013, 03:37 AM   #56
9mm

@Brit keep it up! I keep a gun always close by when at home.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:01 AM   #57
chrisbarcelo

1911 in condition 1 always.
Old March 11, 2013, 05:11 PM   #58
KCampbell

Her side of the bed,Glock 19(chambered),my side of the bed M&P and Rem 870 both chambered with safety on the shotgun.We both carry chambered.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:12 PM   #59
FireForged

With me there are (2) conditions..ready and unready. I keep my ccw and or house guns "ready". Guns that are locked up in the safe are stored "unready".
Old March 11, 2013, 09:37 PM   #60
SHE3PDOG

Fireforged, what do you consider "ready" and "unready"?

Also, that isn't paranoia Brit, that is just good caution. In my family, I would even say that it is just common sense to keep your guns close.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old March 12, 2013, 04:58 PM   #61
FireForged

Well, its the simplest terms.. If I can pull the trigger and it goes bang! (its ready). If I cant pull the trigger or pull the trigger and it doesnt go bang! (its unready). Before anybody gets all bent out of shape, I do not have a single action pistol sitting around cocked (and unlocked). I dont typically use SA pistols so they are the exception to the rule.

I dont get into a bunch of color codes or numerical conditions. Its a weapon and its simply ready or its not.

Last edited by FireForged; March 12, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old March 12, 2013, 08:34 PM   #62
dbaum

carry gun is ready all the time-and always with me.all others unloaded and locked up.
Old March 19, 2013, 05:45 PM   #63
biohazurd

All of my defensive semis have fully loaded mags and rounds in the chamber. Shotguns and rifles that i use for home defence usually are fully loaded with empty chambers. Dont have any reasoning to it just how i was raised. No kids here so no locks on them. I usually keep an assortment of firearms concealled around my house and property.
Old March 19, 2013, 06:46 PM   #64
tahunua001

at home my guns are condition 3...
on my person they are condition 1...
Old March 19, 2013, 06:57 PM   #65
shaunpain

Single actions are condition one. Doubles in condition two. Two 12 gauge pumps loaded to the hilt on safe in the cabinet. Everything else is unloaded with ammunition separate but nearby.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:11 AM   #66
bikerbill

If a gun of mine is used for SD, it's loaded, one in the chamber at all times. I use a 1911 for a nightstand gun because it has night sights and a safety that I have to click off before it can fire. I am fully awake when I wake up and am not concerned about accidently firing a round while half asleep. At home, bad things usually happen very fast and if you have to load your gun and rack the slide, you're way behind the curve.
Old March 22, 2013, 05:32 PM   #67
Deaf Smith

Quote:
what condition you guys and gals keep your self-defense weapons in. Whether it be concealed carry or home/property defense.
Pristine!

I have a practice Glock 26 that gets dirty as heck but my Glock 26, 27, AND 33 are maybe shot once every three months and then cleaned immediately.

Same goes for long guns. Yes I do have practice versions of 'em!

Deaf
Old March 22, 2013, 05:49 PM   #68
BigD_in_FL

Any gun out of the safe is loaded and ready to go; otherwise they are in the safe
Old March 24, 2013, 03:32 PM   #69
WildBill45

Your answers could be brought up if you are involved in a court case ... be careful, this is public.

My view:

If you are NOT fully alert the second you wake, DO NOT HAVE A LOADED GUN AT HAND ... PERIOD! SORRY, YOU ARE NOT ABLE, LIKE A DRUNK DRIVER GOING 100 MPH ON THE FREEWAYS, SORRY...

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old March 25, 2013, 10:13 AM   #70
Archie

Readiness

I live alone (with the dog; she's pretty agreeable). There are several handguns about the place, depending on time of year and the mood I'm in. All the handguns that are not in a display or locked up are loaded and ready to use.

I also have a couple of 'long guns'; an M1 carbine and a pump shotgun. The carbine has a loaded magazine in place, but no round chambered, same condition as the shotgun. Both are secured in concealed positions.

No children live with me, very few children visit. That may be changing, so I'll have to re-think where certain items are located. Essentially the firearms conditions will remain the same.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old March 25, 2013, 01:34 PM   #71
kirbinster

I don't like the idea of having a loaded weapon on or in my night stand for two reasons. God forbid a badguy came in an I was not woken - well there is the gun for him to use against me -- not likely but it is remotely possible. Also I don't want to be reaching for the loaded weapon in a state of being half asleep. I keep my Glock G22 in a biometric safe a few feet from my bed with a high powered flashlight on top of the safe. The gun has 15 rounds in the mag, none in the chamber. It must be racked, the reason I do this is I am concerned that in the heat of the moment when I reach into the safe in the dark it is to easy to hit the trigger by error. I know it is that way and have no problem racking the slide as I take it out.

In my office I keep my 1911 in a code locked box in the desk and it is chambered, cocked and locked.
Old March 25, 2013, 11:45 PM   #72
egor20

RIA CS .45, locked and cocked

S&W 469, round chambered, decocked.

RIA 206, just loaded.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old March 26, 2013, 06:11 PM   #73
SHE3PDOG

I understand not wanting to have a loaded gun by your bed if you are not usually fully coherent the second you wake up. This is all completely personal preference. I haven't had a problem with waking up in a haze yet; I actually kind of jolt up out of my bed when I wake up. I'm sure this is one of those things that may change with age and experience though.

Old March 26, 2013, 06:16 PM   #74
thump_rrr

In Canada we are not allowed to purchase firearms for self defense.
we can purchase pistols and restricted rifles for only 2 reasons.
Target shooting and collecting.
i'm a target shooter.

All guns in the safe.
All guns unloaded.
A loaded magazine next to each pistol and loaded mags in the door pockets for the AR's.
I have a few stripper clips handy for the SKS for the helluvit.
I don't bother keeping a loaded mag for the Savage 10BA since it's not exactly a home defense rifle at 16lbs loaded.

I'm just following our great gun laws to the absolute minimum required by law.

Our right to life is protected by the charter of rights and freedoms.
"LIFE, LIBERTY AND SECURITY OF PERSON.
7. Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice."
Old March 27, 2013, 11:13 AM   #75
Tactical Jackalope

SD weapons conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill45 View Post
My view:

If you are NOT fully alert the second you wake, DO NOT HAVE A LOADED GUN AT HAND ... PERIOD! SORRY, YOU ARE NOT ABLE, LIKE A DRUNK DRIVER GOING 100 MPH ON THE FREEWAYS, SORRY...
All caps reminds me of someone yelling. Why are you yelling?

That's your opinion. Not a problem. But what you're saying is wrong. Is not wrong. Sorry..