The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 20, 2014, 09:16 AM   #1
wap41

pistol cylinder bored out?

Has anyone had a pistol cylinder bored out to accept a larger powder charge?How does the larger powder charge affect the accuracy?
Old January 20, 2014, 10:49 AM   #2
Snyper

It can't be done since you'd also need a larger barrel and bullet.

Don't experiment with explosives you hold in your hand
Old January 20, 2014, 10:54 AM   #3
wap41

I guess I put it wrong I meant having the cylinders bored deeper to accept more powder
Old January 20, 2014, 11:21 AM   #4
Kappe

What sixgun are you shooting that needs more powder capacity?
Old January 20, 2014, 11:36 AM   #5
wap41

i am thinking about using one of my ruger old army's.What I have in mind is using it as a back up side arm for hunting which would include black bear.
Old January 20, 2014, 11:50 AM   #6
Kappe

The amount of extra powder you could fit in by relieving the back of the chamber would be negligible and do who knows what for structural integrity.

I would advise you to look into 777 and loads for it instead.
Old January 20, 2014, 12:28 PM   #7
wap41

Dave Clements noted gunsmith makes 50cal's out of ROA's also reams out cylinders to accept 7grs more powder.Just would like to find out results of being done.
Old January 20, 2014, 12:45 PM   #8
enyaw

I've read that fer larger game the ft/lbs min. is like 500Ft/lbs. I like to adhere to that.
I would be easier to get "sorta close" to that with smokeless and a conversion cylinder and pick a load from the loading manual that gives the most ft.lbs.

If you just want the pistol for the "coup de grais" then a stout ball load with black would do it right up close.

You might hunt bears with a cap&baller if you were after bears the size of coyote.

If you were talking bout using a Blackhawk or better yet a Super Blackhawk Ruger that would be better.
Old January 20, 2014, 04:04 PM   #9
robhof

robhof

I have some Classicballistix cylinders that give about 5 gr more than the factory cylinder and are actually a slightly tighter fit; cylinder gap on mine are 004 as opposed to .006-008 on my factory cylinders. I've used mine for coup de gras shots on deer during b/p season here in Ky, which the ROA is legal for deer here, but I haven't gotten a <50yd shot to try it yet. 40 gr of 777 behind a 250gr flatnose works great, but for bear I'd rather trust something with magnum pressure and large caliber.
Old January 20, 2014, 04:51 PM   #10
Doc Hoy

At .457...

I find that my accuracy drops off if I go too high in powder.

Going to a larger ball or bullet possibly would stand more powder. Then of course, other pistols might shoot different from mine.

My guess is that Clements improves performance in one way or another but I haven't a clue as to how or what.
Old January 22, 2014, 05:29 PM   #11
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I cannot imagine why anybody would want to use a Cap & Ball revolver as a backup weapon when hunting potentially dangerous game.
Old January 22, 2014, 06:08 PM   #12
wap41

Colt Walkers can be loaded up to close to a 44 mag performance
Old January 22, 2014, 07:33 PM   #13
Driftwood Johnson

It's not a matter of power, it's a matter of reliability. Have you ever had a cap jam? That's why cartridge revolvers were developed. Do you want to have a cap jam, or a cap fall off, or fail to fire when a bear is charging you?
Old January 22, 2014, 08:21 PM   #14
wap41

1st of all it would not be my primary weapon,I'd be using a 50/150 inline if I was after bear.2nd of all if a cap fell off 1/2 sec to fire the next round would not alarm me.Not everyone needs a 375 H&H mag to hunt rabbits.
Old January 22, 2014, 08:29 PM   #15
Chestnut Forge

My father-in-law shoots 40gr of 4f in a ROA. It really lets you know it went off. We haven't run it past the chronograph yet but I'm guessing its up there.
Old January 22, 2014, 08:57 PM   #16
wap41

chestnut forge

Thats the type of info I'm looking for.Wow 40grs of 4f,I'm sure thats pushing it atleast 1250-1300 fps.How accurate is it at that rate?
Old January 22, 2014, 09:08 PM   #17
Driftwood Johnson

I guess you've never had a spent cap fall down inside the mechanism and jam the whole gun up. I have. I sure wouldn't want to have an angry bruin charging me if I had a cap jam. Cap & Ball is fun when your life does not depend on it. I'll stick with cartridges when the chips are down.

Last edited by Driftwood Johnson; January 22, 2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old January 22, 2014, 09:35 PM   #18
North East Redneck

ROA for bear? Think I'd pass on that. Many better guns are available. Ruger offers centerfire revolvers that hit harder and are always going to go bang. Handgunning bear? Yes. With an ROA? If that was the only gun available and a threat or hunger where my motivation. Other than that, I think there are better guns available.
Old January 23, 2014, 12:06 AM   #19
Captainkirk

Is there a reason you want to use a C&B?
Just asking, because I wouldn't.
Bears are not known for being mild-mannered WITHOUT a bullet hole in their ribs. Frankly, I would carry nothing less than my Super Blackhawk in .44 and I'd be pretty nervous then, being a SA.
But, that's just me.....
Old January 23, 2014, 06:34 AM   #20
Doc Hoy

Well...

There might be a good reason to use an ROA....

When the charging bear sees it, he might stop and exclaim, " Dag! An ROA!, Wanna sell it?!"
Old January 23, 2014, 08:08 AM   #21
Chestnut Forge

wap41

It is not bad. 3 inches at 50 yards off a bench. But the FIL is a real pistol shooter. He won a lot of matches. Once, there were some guys tearing down a house. They were waiting on the power company to cut the electric lines. FIL cut the line for them with a Smith model 29. 4 shots, 3 wires. The ROA will handle any amount of commercial black powder that will fit in the chambers.
Old January 23, 2014, 10:30 AM   #22
wap41

Doc

Doc you're absolutely right,I never saw a ROA that I didn't want to buy.
Old January 23, 2014, 10:44 AM   #23
Chestnut Forge

Local gun shop has one NIB for $600. I've thought hard about it.
Old January 23, 2014, 11:23 AM   #24
bedbugbilly

Hmmmm . . . in the reloading world, there are those who don't pay attention to loading manuals and data . . . they always have to "push the limit". Then when they have a problem and their handgun literally explodes like a hand grenade they wonder why. And then they try and go back on the mfg. for warranty.

I've shot BP for 50 years and I have seen some foolish things done over that time . . . just because you "can" do something doesn't mean you can get away with it. Yea, the ROA is a strong built revolver . . but what does the manual say about loading chambers full of 4F. If someone is getting 1250 - 1300 fps with a soft lead round ball . . . sooner or later you're going to probably have a leading problem as well.

A person can do whatever they want to . . it's their gun and their life.

I was brought up to "use the right tool for the right job - if you need a screwdriver, don't pull a hammer out of the tool box." But that's just me . . . I was also taught to do things safely.

If I was carrying a "back up" pistol for bear hunting . . and I have bear hunted myself. . . it means that I might need to depend on it should I get in a situation where my long gun either malfunctioned or I couldn't reload in time to put the bear down due to not making a "killing shot". I love C & B revilers dearly . . . but in that situation, I'd love a good centerfire 44 mag. much more.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 23, 2014, 11:59 AM   #25
wap41

chestnut forge

If that roa is stainless it's not too bad of a price for a 7 1/2" adjustable sights.If it's 5 1/2" or fixed sight it's a great buy.But kinda high for a blued 7 1/2"adjustable sight in my opinion.