Old November 8, 2013, 12:03 PM   #26
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

No, no, no. The cartridges should look like this in the clip:
\=>
\=>
\=>
\=>
|=>

I love my M-39 so much; I had to get the clips, and the twin pouch, and the Mojo peep sight. The first time I used the clips, I thought I'd bruised the tip of my thumb bone. I later found out that each clip [Tika? T inside a triangle inside a circle?] would work better in one direction, so I marked them. Now I think it is more fun to forgo the clips; unless some know-it-all wants to *try* to use them. Then I have just as much fun watching them try.
Old November 8, 2013, 01:02 PM   #27
James K
Member In Memoriam

Yep, Mauser had something with that notch on the left side of the receiver.

Of course, it doesn't matter how the rounds go in the clip (see above), but the M-N clip has one peculiarity, in that it is the only rifle "stripper" clip I know of that isn't made to pop out when the bolt is closed. Unlike the Mauser, Springfield, Lee-Enfield, M14, SKS, etc., the M-N clip has to be manually pulled out, both in the M-N itself and in the SVT.

Jim
Old November 8, 2013, 01:04 PM   #28
tahunua001

I've never loaded from strippers but I did have a problem with being unable to load a mosin nagant with an improperly inletted stock. the ejector/left magazine lip(whatever it's called) was unable to extend beyond the left side of the receiver so you really had to cram in the ammo, just about broke my thumb a couple times it was so stiff.
Old November 8, 2013, 01:11 PM   #29
James K
Member In Memoriam

I assumed Lt. S was referring to the tip of the thumb hitting the top of the left receiver rail, something I don't seem able to avoid. I sort of have to put the end of the thumb on the top round, instead of the ball of the thumb as I would do with a K.98k.

Jim
Old November 8, 2013, 03:15 PM   #30
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

Nope. I didn't hit anything. Pushing on the cartridge resulted in burst blood vessels.
Old November 9, 2013, 02:15 AM   #31
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have clip loaded M-N's for some few years and never had that much trouble; I tend to think your rifle has something wrong with the magazine if it is that hard to load.

Jim

Tags
malfunction , mosin , nagant , rimlock , troubleshoot