The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2010, 02:41 PM   #1
BDX

Issue w/ RCBS Trim Pro Case Trimmer

Just got my RCBS Trim Pro manual trimmer and ran into an issue I wanted to ask about.

Has anyone else had an issue with the collar/cutting bit not centering to the case mouth once the clamps have firmly grabbed the shell holder"?

It's not off by much, just enough to be thoroughly annoying and not exactly smooth on the insertion. As a matter of fact you have to loosen the shellholder plate via the vise handle (for lack of a better term) in order for the collar/bit to slide easily into the case mouth. Once you release the handle the shell is brought up tight into the holder and the collar binds somewhat in the case mouth. You can turn the handle fine but it is wearing on the interior of the case mouth.

It's almost as if the cutter guide (the cylinder that the shaft feeds through) was not line bored to specifically match the center of the opposite side once the guide is bolted in place on the base. I have to assume that the cutter guide is pre-bored then simply bolted onto the base without a means of actually aligning the base and cutter guide once bolted on. Matter of fact it wouldnt surprise me if the powdercoat/epoxy paint on the base is too thick on one side of the cutter guide "cradle" and shifting the cutter guide off center.

In fairness to the folks at Big Green they immediately said, "Hmmmmm...It shouldn't" and they want it back to correct or replace, free of charge of course. I'll update this thread once resolved

George
Old January 13, 2010, 04:43 PM   #2
sako2

my lyman does that to. I now put the pilot in the neck and then lock it down seems to help center it.
Old January 13, 2010, 06:08 PM   #3
BDX

Thanks Sako

That's a decent work around; you're more patient than me! I expect better for the money. I did make one recommendation for their engineers we'll have to see if they agree.

The mere fact that RCBS immediately didn't like the idea of having noodle about jiggling cases to fit the pilot tells me something is off the mark on my unit (and speaks highly of RCBS's committment to product and customer satisfaction).

It is enroute to Oroville as we speak, fortunately it's only about 200 miles from my home and turn around should be quick. Interestingly enough they wanted my shell holders and one shell of mine from each caliber that I reload.

I'll update this post later today

Geo

Last edited by BDX; January 14, 2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old January 14, 2010, 07:59 AM   #4
BDX

Update

I'll update this post later today...RCBS has asked me to call back this morning when one of their techs can talk at length
Old January 15, 2010, 10:01 PM   #5
Dirk00001

I've used two different RCBS trim pro's, mine and that of the friend who taught me how to reload in the first place, and both are slightly "off" like that. However, neither is off enough that it causes real problems, just every 5 to 10 cases or so I have to apply a little extra pressure to get it in. (...that's what she said?)