Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 10, 2009, 04:59 PM   #1
longranger

Super Hog Killing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHmYsyVniE

Pretty interesting method of hog killing
Old December 10, 2009, 05:24 PM   #2
andrew66

that was one of the best videos i have ever seen. My hats off to the pilot and shooter. Both have amazing skills!
Old December 10, 2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Buzzcook

So they're in a helicopter, why are they wearing camouflage?
Old December 10, 2009, 07:08 PM   #4
shortwave

Quote:
why are they wearing camo?
Good question! Also shouldn`t the camo be 'sky' blue and white for the clouds
Old December 10, 2009, 08:52 PM   #5
reloader28

I am in the wrong line of work.
Looks alot funner than p-dog hunting.
Old December 10, 2009, 09:21 PM   #6
koolminx

Nothing beats P dog hunting!

Did you see some of the comments where they touted the .223 as a great Hog gun because of what they saw from the video?

I must ask those guy's if they noticed that 90% of the shots were spine shots that were taken from above, not shots at the lungs or head from a parallel position 100 yards away...

Either way, it was a fun video, I like the barrel mounted camera and the Red laser Dot, and tat kid was pretty good with that AR.
Old December 10, 2009, 11:41 PM   #7
Fat White Boy

Why is he wearing camo if he is in a helicopter is a good question. They used to paint F-4's camo on top, white on the bottom. Does real tree make that pattern?
Old December 11, 2009, 01:20 AM   #8
the357plan

What kind of bullets was he using?

I've always thought of a 223 as a varmint round. What 223/5.56 bullet would drops hogs like that. Looks as though the rounds had good penetration since it appears that some of the hogs had bloodied exit wounds. At least it looked that way to me. Anybody think they're using something expensive like Cor-Bon DPX Hunter, 62 Grain Barnes Triple-Shock X, or cheap FMJs that might be tumbling inside of the hog? Sort of gives me a new respect for the round.
Old December 11, 2009, 02:11 AM   #9
Mike U.

They were wearing camo because it was cold out that day and even colder flying in an open chopper.
Old December 11, 2009, 12:07 PM   #10
Scorch

Quote:
So they're in a helicopter, why are they wearing camouflage?
So the hogs can't see them, of course! Because his 3-piece suit was at the cleaners! So the folks watching the shooting would know it's not a cop show! To blend in with the vegetation!

What difference does it make what they are wearing?
Old December 12, 2009, 01:43 PM   #11
lt dan

dam this is my new all time favorite you tube vid. i am going to watch this again and again. i will show this to all my wart-hog hunting buddies. is there a possible vacancy? all i can say is that i now know my destiny/calling.
Old December 12, 2009, 04:00 PM   #12
crimper

Was it a 5.56 for sure, or maybe just an AR platform with a .450 Bushy or .458 socom. Either way looks like a great field trip to go on!
Old December 12, 2009, 05:28 PM   #13
Uncle Buck

Chances are they were hand loads if it was a Department of Conservation shooter. A lot of these organizations have people that reload for the department, or they special order ammunition for certain needs.

Here in Missouri, the I hunted with the USDA Sharpshooters and they used special hand loaded rounds made just for them by another department employee.

Either Way, nice video.

Quote:
Not sure what Dustin bought for the AK..I got golden bear 62 grain hollowpoints for the AR15. From the laser sight onward is the AR15. The first of it was the AK47
I stand corrected. Saw this in the comments section of the video.

Last edited by Uncle Buck; December 12, 2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old December 13, 2009, 09:28 AM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
They were wearing camo because it was cold out that day and even colder flying in an open chopper.
I must have missed the paper on the thermal properties of camoflage. How does camo keep people warmer?

As near as I can tell, it would just make you harder to find after the chopper crashes.
Old December 13, 2009, 02:06 PM   #15
lt dan

one of the best vids ever and people get HUNG UP ON WHAT THE GUY WAS WEARING.. if he was in the f.... nude would it make a difference to this fantastic vid. dam man move on and focus on the job at hand. for heaven's sake!!!!!!!!

my complimants to the gunner and the pilot. well done simply well done. my kingdom for a chopper******!!!!!!
Old December 13, 2009, 04:53 PM   #16
Singlesix1954

They were wearing camo because it's what cool folks wear!
Now someone tell me where I can get that job!
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old December 13, 2009, 05:22 PM   #17
Deerhunter

I know they were shots from above but I still have a hard time beleiving that they could have been using 5.56 or .223. Some of those pigs were pretty big and they were just rolling over. If you watch the video close some are spraying blood pretty good. Regardless of what ammo they were using still a good video.
Old December 13, 2009, 05:35 PM   #18
JerseyDrez

Wow, pat on the back to both the shooter and pilot. Some great shooting, especially the pack of 5 or 6 pigs that he took out all in a row.

One question - what do they do with the pigs after? Take them away and turn them into sausage or leave them to rot for other animals to eat?

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old December 13, 2009, 05:44 PM   #19
Christchild

Quote:
Some of those pigs were pretty big and they were just rolling over.
That's right. I was "asking myself" what cartridge they were shooting, almost the whole time. Like You said, some of those hogs were a few hundred pounds...looked like lightning hit 'em.

I thoroughly enjoyed that, and as soon as I'm done typing this post, I'm gonna watch it again... A "hunt" (slaughter/shoot) like that would be fun with just my bolt action .270! Awesome Video...

Quote:
One question - what do they do with the pigs after? Take them away and turn them into sausage or leave them to rot for other animals to eat?
I thought that, too. My solution would be one guy keep a GPS and "mark" every time a Hog dropped, then You'd be able to find each "mark". Every GPS Unit I've ever operated has that feature. Just hit the "Mark" button. It should keep a log of it. Or make a "route" with the marks and You can find every single mark.

I just hope they intended on recovering at least SOME of the hogs.
Old December 13, 2009, 11:07 PM   #20
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I just hope they intended on recovering at least SOME of the hogs.
According to the posts over at THR, there was no intent to recover. The whole purpose was hog eradication.
Old December 13, 2009, 11:14 PM   #21
Deerhunter

I thought the video was great. Now if the post I just read is correct and they just left the hogs lay that is not good.

I mentioned in an earlier post about some of those hogs just folding up. Also if you watch some of those shots you see hit the ground. I don't have any idea as to how many rounds of 5.56 I have sent down range but I don't remember any hitting the ground with enough force to throw that much dirt. I have a good feeling they were shooting something bigger.

Still disappointed if they were letting the hogs lay and not retreiving them.
Old December 13, 2009, 11:56 PM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Still disappointed if they were letting the hogs lay and not retreiving them.
Don't fret it... Most folks don't eat coyotes or rats and these feral hogs are not considered any more than those... They are strictly vermin. It would be unwise to go looking for them if they lay long enuff to even possibly start spoilage.

This is a commercial enterprise so he cannot risk a lawsuit for donating to the needy as these hogs could carry disease as well as the possible spoilage cooties.

If an individual donates thru a program it is usually basically anonymous, not so for a business owner I reckon.

Using dogs allows a guy to pen the hogs and either out of his pocket or someone else's, he can have the live hogs inspected and inoculated then run thru a slaughter house as fresh live animal.
Brent
Old December 14, 2009, 03:17 AM   #23
Mike U.

Double Naught Spy wrote:

Quote:
I must have missed the paper on the thermal properties of camoflage. How does camo keep people warmer?

As near as I can tell, it would just make you harder to find after the chopper crashes.

Did you read any of the comments that normally appear beneath the videos?

The guy hosting the video stated as much in that comments section when someone there asked about the camo.
Old December 14, 2009, 06:59 AM   #24
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Did you read any of the comments that normally appear beneath the videos?
Yep. Stopped reading after the first few that involved name calling and stupid comments. So the guy on the comments stated as much. I stand by my query as to the thermal properties of camo.
Old December 14, 2009, 10:39 PM   #25
Mike U.

Double Naught Spy,

I hear ya on reading the comments. Sometimes the juvenile crappola is tough to wade through to get to a nugget of useful info or two.

However, weren't those camo coats?
Perhaps that's what they had available for hunting.

Or, perhaps they were wealthy posers out for a little irregular shooting fun and, as we all know, camo is the civilian poser uniform du jour, is it not?:barf:
Not slammin' you hunters who legitimately wear camo for the hunt, so don't get ruffled feathers out there now, ya hear?

Whatever the case may be, I'm throwing in the towel on the camo question.
A man has to know his limitations.

I'd still like to make that trip though. Sans camo, of course.

Last edited by Mike U.; December 14, 2009 at 10:47 PM.