The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old August 8, 1999, 07:22 PM   #1
Biggreg

I was wondering if anyone had experience using steel knockdown targets. We use them during training sessions at work. Recently somewhere in Ill. there was an incident involving a ricochet where the range officer got hit with a piece of the bullet. Their response to the incident was to use frangible ammunition while firing at steel targets. If anyone has any thoughts on using frangible ammunition or advice on the use of the steel knockdowns please post.
Old August 8, 1999, 08:16 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Steel knock down targets have been known to cause ricochets back towards the shooter. I myself have been hit by fragments (but not to the extent of some of our members). For safety of your shooters and to lessen liability you must maintain a distance from steel targets (sometimes in police training your shots are going to be close and the firearms instructor should select a safer target and target stand for close quarter shooting). Another worthy consideration which you've broached is frangible ammunition. It's not a matter of lead, which is one of the environmentally friendly boasts of the makers of frangible ammunition, it's reducing backsplatter and potential injuries.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old August 8, 1999, 08:19 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Point of order: this thread should be in the handgun forum.

Powers that be, move this thread (repeated three times, libations poured near keyboard, oracle bones being interpreted at Delphi).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old August 8, 1999, 08:33 PM   #4
Ewok

I just bought some mini-poppers. On the manufacturer's web site, they mention using them at 12 yards away. However, there's a sticker on them saying not to use closer than 15 yards. Oh, well. I have some Federal Nyclad I'm planning to try on them.

Otherwise, just keep covered up as much as possible - hat, safety glasses, long-sleeve shirt.
Old August 8, 1999, 08:36 PM   #5
Ewok

I guess if you don't scroll down through the forums, it's not obvious that this isn't the forum for questions. On the other hand, Nuclear Security Trainer, Greg? Doh!
Old August 9, 1999, 01:33 AM   #6
Ewok

Well, that's curious. Is this not an orderly universe? Does G_d play at dice? I thought this thread was locked? I really like this GIF, so I'll post it here, too.
Old August 9, 1999, 07:53 AM   #7
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Thread has been moved to Handgun Forum. [Link to invalid post]
Rich
Closed Thread