The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 6, 2016, 10:23 PM   #1
P71pilot

New owner of a 1954 browning auto 5

Today I took home a Browning model Auto 5 12ga shotgun. Made in 1954. Good condition with just a few wood finish imperfections, small blueing loss/damage and some small Nick's in places on the steel. I would rate the gun overall at 75% overall condition. The barrel is non ribbed with a silver front sight. The barrel is marked - y y
Which I believe to be improved cylinder. A dime fits down the muzzle with about 2mm play on each side. I measures the barrel at 25" roughly.

I cleaned it up just taking the barrel off and recoil parts off and cleaned everything I could and wiped and lubricated then re-wiped everything. Sprayed some cleaner into the action let it run out and dry then wiped and oiled Alli could reach and put a fee drops in different cracks and crevices in the bolt. It does not have the plug because it holds 4 in the tube.

So far I love this shotgun and can't wait to shoot if. To me it is very light and handy. Feels about 6.5 lbs, really nice trigger. Bore is in great shape. I have the recoil parts set to light loads. It only chambers 2 3/4 shells, and I plan on using it for deer here in Ohio where high powered rifles are illegal for deer hunting. Also for rabbit and squirrel and I would like to try turkey this coming season. I have never bagged a turkey and have never eaten wild turkey.

Will be my only shotgun so will fill all roles from weekend clay pigeon shooting to putting meat in the freezer.
I have never even shot an automatic shotgun and am looking forward to a reduction in recoil. Can't wait to pattern her and try different slugs (obviously non saboted)!

I've been a Winchester shotgun guy up to this point, but at one time I had am 870.

Model 12 12ga made in 1961 was my first. Followed by 870 made in about 2000, then a Winchester 1200, then a Winchester 1300, then a Russian Baikal 3 1/2 pump 870 copy

This one I will keep. Although I miss the model 12 really bad.

Do you auto 5 owners have any tips for load combinations and ring/recoil setups?
Old April 7, 2016, 06:34 PM   #2
Skeets
Member in memoriam

"New" A-5

Congrats P7! Been watching this and happy for you.I'm very familiar with the A-5.Clean Well,and like guys are saying,No Errors on Friction Rings!Skeets
Browning has good CS ---Enjoy
Old May 29, 2016, 05:05 PM   #3
jrothWA

May I suggest you get..

new friction rings and recoil spring, replace the one in there.

ALso take a3M scotch=brite pad to the exterior of mag tube, clean it and lube it.
Single drop of Mobil One 10W30 and cycle the barrel, have a gunsmith do a detailing of the action and lube it.

THEN ENJOY!
Old May 29, 2016, 07:01 PM   #4
FITASC

Being a long recoil action, do not expect a lot of recoil reduction, especially compared to a gas gun.

That said, it should serve you well.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 30, 2016, 08:28 AM   #5
Goatwhiskers

If you do replace the recoil spring, it is advisable to change the action spring at the same time. Keeps everything in balance. GW
Old June 16, 2016, 05:40 PM   #6
bamaranger

humpback

The old A5 is "one of those guns" that has always held an attraction for me, but I have never owned one.

They have a colorful history in sport, LE and combat and of course are a product of the fertile mind of JM Browning. Blue steel and walnut, and made largely by old school arms makers.

Congratulations.

Oh yeah, shouldn't the choke stampings be **** or similar? Not a A5 expert, but I thought the asterisk was used for choke indicaton. Letters sounds like proof marks. I could be wrong too.
Old June 16, 2016, 06:59 PM   #7
FITASC

Quote:
Oh yeah, shouldn't the choke stampings be **** or similar? Not a A5 expert, but I thought the asterisk was used for choke indicaton. Letters sounds like proof marks. I could be wrong too.
Should be.

* = full choke
*_ = improved modified
** = modified
**_ = improved cylinder
**$ = skeet
*** = cylinder
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa

Tags
12ga , auto5 , browning