The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2010, 12:10 PM   #1
jotson523

reloading 454 casull

i'm using winchester and starline brass-- 32gr h110 powder--300gr xtp jhp bullet--7.5 mag primer ---in a ruger super redhawk-- the bullets are .451 and .452---sometime the cases stick--are there any ruger shooters that can give me any comment or ideas-- i'v been reloading for 15yrs so i;m not too new at this so any comment or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 17, 2010, 12:21 PM   #2
laytonj1

Hodgdon shows a maximum load with H110 and a 300gr JSP FA bullet as 30grs. Freedom Arms website shows that same bullet and H110 max load at 31grs... that might be your problem.

Jim

Last edited by laytonj1; January 17, 2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 17, 2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Sevens

You do realize that what laytonj1 said was correct-- and that's for a FP bullet and a JHP is typically a little longer, reducing your internal space? In a load that shows over 50k CUP at 30.0 grains (which you are past) of H110 according to the powder manufacturer?

You do realize that brass sticking in chambers is a telltale sign of high pressure, right? Do you know other signs of high pressure?

You sure better or your 15 years haven't meant a whole lot. These are red flags. I'm glad you have a Ruger Redhawk.
Old January 17, 2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

Yep, that's high pressure.

Jotson523,

Don't feel bad over what laytonj1 and Sevens said about your 32 grains. They are concerned for your safety.

I am sure you did not exceed a published load for the Casull. Would you tell us what loading manual suggested 32 grains of H110 was OK? Also, what test gun was used when the publisher developed that load? Did you work up to that load from, say, 28 or 29 grains and look for pressure signs? (Sticking brass is one. Flattened or flowing primers is another.

From my first year of reloading, I have always owned several manuals and read all of the loads for any particular cartridge/bullet/powder I am contemplating using. I don't think I have ever found any two manuals that agree on their load recommendations. Not surprizing, since some use test barrels, some might use a Blackhawk, another a Smith & Wesson, not to mention different primers (brand and Magnum/standard). And seating depth makes a big difference, as well as crimp strength.

2 years, 15 years, 30 years, try to learn something new every time you start a press session (and not by surpize, either, but by conversation, subscription to a reloading publication or by being a member of a forum like this one or "Accuratereloading.com" or some such.

Be curious. Be skeptical. Remember, believe only half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Always check out any new information you get from the internet (or anywhere) with an independent source for confirmation before you rely on it where misinformation could cost you.

Good Luck, good shooting and don't pinch your fingers in your press.

Lost Sheep