The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 18, 2001, 07:13 PM   #1
Lavan

Has anyone bought a 9410 yet?

Or, perhaps more to the point, has anyone figured out what good it would be?
This is the Winchester lever action .410 shotgun that looks like a M94.
I have heard that it only shoots the 2.5" .410 shell.
Their ads tout it as a big game and target gun.
???????????????
Old August 19, 2001, 02:40 PM   #2
PJR

It's a goofy idea. .410 slugs in a smooth bore don't hold a candle to .44, .444 or .45-70 bullets and 1/2 ounce of bird shot isn't going to achieve much either.

As for target use, I don't think they would be very successful on the skeet fields.

Maybe there is some cowboy action shooting challenge that would be met by this firearm but I don't know what it might be.

Finally, in my parts and in many others, hunting shotguns must be plugged to three shots maximum. That would theoretically include the Winchester 9410.
Old August 19, 2001, 05:15 PM   #3
PWK

Yea, I'm kinda wondering where this gun fits in too. There is an ad for it in this months AR. The only thing I can think of it being useful for is snakes and its probably a little expensive for that. It may be a unique idea but not a very practical one. Maybe AR will review it in the next several months and they can tell us what it is good for.
Old August 19, 2001, 05:59 PM   #4
scouter27

I'd get one if it came with an 18-20" barrel, a large bow, and 3" chamber. That would be a fun shotgun. It would also be nice if it didn't have that safety. I was watching a hunting show on ESPN2 this morning and a guy was hunting grouse or quail or something (I can't remember) with a .410 over/under, it may have been 3" though.

http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodi...d9410/9410.htm Incase you haven't seen it

This is funny, I was just getting on here to ask the same question.
Old August 19, 2001, 06:11 PM   #5
Lavan

Oh LORDY...........

Looked at the site. COYOTES! Yup, ah'm a goin coyote huntin wit mah .410!!! Ah figger if ah kin find da den, I got a good chance of gettin all da pups as long as they ain't weaned.

COYOTES!!!!!

The bad part is that I want one.

Might be a good "investment" as I foresee a short run.
Old August 19, 2001, 07:19 PM   #6
Gopher

I saw this in the new American Rifleman this month. It looks kinda like the "Garden Gun" Mossberg came out with. It was a smooth bore chambered for 22 mag shot shells. My first question is Why? If its an answer I must ask what was the question?
Old August 20, 2001, 11:28 PM   #7
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
IMO the 9410 would be fun to use for rabbit hunting over a beagle. Most guys won't use rifles over dogs - to great a risk of hitting Fido by accident. A full choked .410 with 3/4oz of 7 1/2 shot is about ideal for bunnies. -- Kernel