The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2007, 09:17 PM   #1
ligonierbill

8 mm

Discussion on another forum got me thinking about 8 mm calibers. My brother has the "family" Mauser 98 8x57 that I used to carry, and I loaded him some 150 gr Speer HotCor over 49 gr IMR 4064. That's mid-range of the Speer Manual, and at the time I didn't even have a chronograph. This rifle has the original safety and aperture sites, and we wouldn't alter it for a scope, limiting the range (with my eyes) to about 200 yards. Thinking about loading some 200-220 gr bullets. Anyone have good experience with 8x57 loads? What about the other 8's? Seems like the 8 mm Rem Mag is gone. How about the new .325 WSM? It's not covered by my manuals, which are a couple years old. What kind of performance are you getting from these cannons?
Old November 6, 2007, 10:39 PM   #2
Scorch

The 8mm Rem Mag is probably gone, but it never really arrived. It was always a Remington Custom Shop chambering for the Rem 700. It needed heavier and stronger bullets. I think the 325 WSM may succeed because of all the premium bullets available for it.

Your load of 49 gr of IMR 4064 pushing a 150 gr bullet is a healthy load, should be doing about 2800 fps according to the manual. Be careful of the old Speer manual loads, they are warm.
Old November 7, 2007, 01:45 PM   #3
xsquidgator

(edited) never mind what i said about an ok load; I'd confused my powders.