The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 31, 2016, 09:52 PM   #1
Kvon2

Ways to store your home defense long gun

Exciting news - I'm under contract on my first house and the girlfriend and I are moving in together.

Bad news - the gun cabinet is not on the list of furniture she wants in the bedroom.

I typically keep a shotgun cruiser read in the cabinet and I would like to keep my shotgun as my HD weapon but I don't want to leave it in a corner or under the bed.

We don't have kids but there will be children around every now and then plus friends, family, and possibly a dog walker.

Anyone have any safer storage ideas?
Old August 31, 2016, 10:02 PM   #2
Doyle

Most convenient is to abandon the shotgun and go to a handgun that you can keep in a drawer lockbox. Stackon makes a nice vertical opening drawer box that you can open via push button even in total darkness.
Old August 31, 2016, 11:00 PM   #3
Old Bill Dibble

A swing out panel panel over a hollow in the closet wall will work but won't stop a good thief. If you want to lock it there are tons of long gun locks that will secure it to something heavy.
Old September 1, 2016, 01:10 AM   #4
Koda94

get a second cheap small slender safe and bolt it in the bedroom closet bebind the clothes.

really though Im not certain what the delimma is... when you get home take the gun out of the safe and put it in your bedroom, then just put the shotgun back in the safe when you leave the house. Keep it there when the children and other company comes over.
Old September 1, 2016, 07:19 AM   #5
Bartholomew Roberts

They now make at least five or six different quick access gun safes that are designed to fit under a bed and still give you access to a long gun in seconds. Most of them are fairly affordable too (more gun cabinet than safe really).
Old September 1, 2016, 08:30 AM   #6
FITASC

https://www.amazon.com/Shotlock-Shot...t+shotgun+lock

"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 1, 2016, 09:40 AM   #7
kilimanjaro

A handgun and safe seems to be in order, here. You can tell your girlfriend it's either that or the gun cabinet, if she asks.

The shotgun can go in the closet, in a locked case, like it should be, seeing as how you will have guests.
Old September 1, 2016, 10:07 AM   #8
g.willikers

Hmm, I don't recall asking my better half for permission for doing something similar.
Old September 8, 2016, 06:30 PM   #9
jaytothekizzay

Ditch the girlfriend, keep the shotgun... seriously

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old September 8, 2016, 07:07 PM   #10
zoomie

Two VLine options.

Mount either one in the closet, or mount the second one in the bedroom with a full length mirror over it.