The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 30, 2016, 06:22 PM   #51
K_Mac

Quote:
I admire the quote....
"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."
It does make a meaningful point. Civil disobedience has a long history of changing oppressive laws and many believe laws that violate our natural rights are not morally binding. Of course, you have to be completely committed to the consequences of being "judged by 12".
Old August 30, 2016, 06:39 PM   #52
tony pasley

Have you ever thought of calling ahead and ask about storage lockers? I have been to several Theme parks, zoos ect. and they had storage lockers and Six Flags in Atlanta had weapon storage lockers in their security office at the front gate. You won't know until you ask.
Old September 1, 2016, 09:45 AM   #53
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by Boncrayon:

I admire the quote....
"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

.......or you could just turn around and walk away when you see the "no guns" sign and avoid both. That is the practical answer to the practical question asked by the OP.
Old September 2, 2016, 08:13 AM   #54
IMTHDUKE

Sometimes it takes someone to call attention to the absurdity of some sign to effect a change. For example, at my local car dealer, I was there for service. They had recently posted a No guns allowed sign , the one with the circle and crossed out over the gun.

I ask the manager, "Who is that sign directed toward and what is that to prevent? Will that prevent bad guys from bringing guns in here or good guys that would potentially protect others? He looked at me like a calf looking at a new gate. He said, if it makes you feel better, I have a gun in my office.

Now the rest of the story. The next time I came in, I saw same sign but it said, "No OPEN carry guns". This is not to spark a debate between ccw and open carry, but only to say...sometimes things change when you ask questions and get folks to think about the logic behind what they do. I forgot to add...this was in Sweet Home Alabama...your mileage may vary in your State.
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO

Last edited by IMTHDUKE; September 2, 2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old September 2, 2016, 08:37 AM   #55
IMTHDUKE

Quote:
It does make a meaningful point. Civil disobedience has a long history of changing oppressive laws and many believe laws that violate our natural rights are not morally binding. Of course, you have to be completely committed to the consequences of being "judged by 12".
I am one who has been judged by 12, and I can tell you it is hell on earth. Charge was aggravated assault, because gun was involved defending my home from prowler late at night. Long story short. I was acquitted after over year waiting for trial, spending thousands for attorney, receiving threats, taking kids out of school and finally moving to anther State. It's not an experience to be taken lightly.
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old September 3, 2016, 01:15 AM   #56
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I am one who has been judged by 12, and I can tell you it is hell on earth. Charge was aggravated assault, because gun was involved defending my home from prowler late at night. Long story short. I was acquitted after over year waiting for trial, spending thousands for attorney, receiving threats, taking kids out of school and finally moving to anther State. It's not an experience to be taken lightly.
How much of this was specifically because you had used a firearm?
Old September 3, 2016, 07:18 AM   #57
IMTHDUKE

firearm=deadly weapon and that is aggravated assault
Old September 3, 2016, 12:56 PM   #58
willr

We all know that carry in a Post Office is prohibited. But just learned that the interpretation includes the PO PARKING LOT!!! So it is apparently illegal to have a firearm even in your car in the parking lot. What does one do if he has his pistol in the car and discovers after leaving home that he needs to go to the PO? The inversions in all of this is just crazy.
willr
Old September 4, 2016, 06:54 AM   #59
OhioGuy

Quote:
We all know that carry in a Post Office is prohibited. But just learned that the interpretation includes the PO PARKING LOT!!! So it is apparently illegal to have a firearm even in your car in the parking lot. What does one do if he has his pistol in the car and discovers after leaving home that he needs to go to the PO? The inversions in all of this is just crazy.
willr
That's the basic idea I'm wondering about. Even without CC, there's a range near one office where I work on some days (4 minutes away!)--I can bring the gun with me and keep it locked in the car, loaded or unloaded, so long as it is only in the parking lot. I can "shoot" (heh heh) over to the range on a lunch break. Trouble is, my other office is on a military base where I often get called for impromptu meetings. My understanding is that I cannot have even an empty, unloaded, or disassembled firearm in my car there. So if it's a day when I brought the gun with me in the trunk for some range practice, but I get called over to a meeting where I can't have it, I have to either pass on the meeting or swing by my home first to drop it off.

It's truly an odd things--seems those areas with the most "gun control" have the highest criminal gun violence, just like those areas with the strictest (or most expensive) "drug control" have the most heroin addicts.
Old September 4, 2016, 06:55 AM   #60
OhioGuy

Quote:
Have you ever thought of calling ahead and ask about storage lockers? I have been to several Theme parks, zoos ect. and they had storage lockers and Six Flags in Atlanta had weapon storage lockers in their security office at the front gate. You won't know until you ask.
Actually, no, that didn't occur to me

Suppose I could always ask. And probably will.
Old September 4, 2016, 11:18 AM   #61
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by willr
Post offices are a special animal, because carry/possession in a post office and on USPS property is NOT governed by 18 USC 930, which is the general federal law covering firearms "in" federal facilities. The USPS has a separate section of federal law that applies only to postal facilities, and that law does include the parking lots.

So what do you do if you have to stop at a post office? If you want to be legal, you park somewhere other than in the post office parking lot, and you walk a bit farther than you would if you didn't have a GUN! with you.

I have been informed that the Veterans Administration has a similar law that applies only to VA facilities, but I can't find it. The VA hospital I go to has signs at the driveway entrances saying no weapons allowed on the property, but those signs cite 18 USC 930, and 18 USC 930 specifically defines "federal facility" as a building "in" which federal employees are regularly working. So, technically, the VA can't use 18 USC 930 to ban weapons from vehicles in the parking lots -- but I can't afford to become the test case. (And especially not if there's another law out there that covers the situation. But, if there is ... shouldn't the VA be citing the correct law, rather than one that applies only to inside the buildings?)