The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 12, 2009, 03:03 PM   #1
Gene

20 Ga. Less Than Lethal Ammo?

Can anyone tell me where I can get some 20 ga. less than lethal ammo? There's all kinds in 12 ga. but I can't find any 20 ga. Thanks.
Old May 12, 2009, 03:08 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Gene, Unless you are in pro LE than you have no reason to use LTL ammo. It is not safe for your health nor legally advisable. It could be considered intentional injury and is still lethal. If you are legally pointing a gun you are allowed to use LETHAL FORCE not less than lethal force And no I have never seen any LTL for anything but 12 gauge and larger...
Brent
Old May 12, 2009, 05:25 PM   #3
srt 10 jimbo

Really, If your gonna shoot someone, shoot to Kill. That less then leathal ammo is terrable. shoot a guy in the nads with a bean bag...how rude!
Old May 12, 2009, 09:39 PM   #4
Kmar40

Less than Lethal is no longer a term that is used, because, in part, it is false. All those rounds are in fact lethal.

The term is Less Lethal now. Still lethal, but less lethal than 9 pellets of OO buck.

Sorry, but I'm not aware of any Less Lethal 20g ammo, mostly because--I assume-- I don't know of any agency that uses 20g at all.
Old May 13, 2009, 06:58 PM   #5
Gene

I'm not looking for the 20 ga. shotshells for two legged creatures but four legged creatures.

I live very rural in a cabin in the middle of a forest. I've been here 16 years and have any sort of creature you can name, including lions, and lots of bear. Other than a small few incidents, they leave me alone and I do the same.

This year the bears have been extra thick and I've had a rogue sow with a cub coming here every night. She's been tearing things up at night and wreaking all sorts of havoc. I hit her with a powerful spotlight the first night and she and her cub ran like scared rabbits but they're coming back every night.

The only shotgun I have is a 20 ga. and would just love to hit her with a couple of rubber slugs in the ass and I know she wouldn't come back. If this was a rogue male, I would have already shot him but I don't want to seriously hurt her because of the cub.

Thanks for the replies.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:14 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
live very rural in a cabin in the middle of a forest.
Easy then... Just get a hunert of them cheap 7 1/2 from walmart or such. Load one in front of Buck or slug in case the bear gets ruff. Simply shoot the 7 1/2 off to the side or above... heck skip them off the ground in front of Yogi and he will find a different location to raid...
LTL discussion is usually about 2 leggers, sorry for the assumption.
Brent
Old May 13, 2009, 07:18 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

DISCLAIMER I am not a reloader and this is not advise, rather a howz about...
Maybe open some of those cheap shells and replace the lead with the pink 1/4 inch pencil erasers pulled from pencils in a nice neat stack or get some of the 2 inch long pink erasers and cut "plugs" with a piece of tubing.
Brent
Old May 13, 2009, 08:00 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

Or, maybe just toss a firecracker out the door.
Old May 13, 2009, 08:08 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Bill, Sooner or later the bears will need a bit more bite than bark as they get used to the harassment. I seen them propane cannons work for a while to repel deer but before too long all the garnered was a flinch from the deer and they didn't even take a step before resuming eating...
Brent
Old May 14, 2009, 04:35 PM   #10
Gene

Thank you all for the advice but I've done all of that. I chased away a juvenile bear that was standing on my car with a shotgun blast. I've chased them away by shooting all around them with my Glock 26 and as stated, also hit them with a powerful light.

hogdogs is correct, this rogue sow needs a lesson that is imprinted in her brain. That is to NOT come around here anymore because she will HURT!

I really wish someone made a 20 ga. shell that had a rubber, (or whatever, projectile!). I can guarantee she wouldn't come back!
Old May 14, 2009, 04:43 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Hit her from a full 25 or more yards in the butt with a 7 1/2...
should light her up enuff to stay off a far piece.
Brent
Old May 14, 2009, 05:07 PM   #12
kb2iaw

Matbe some bright yellow paint balls will scare her off ....
Old May 14, 2009, 05:24 PM   #13
ddeyo1

id agree with hogdogs. if shes far enough away and you pepper her south end with some light shot it shouldnt penetrate the thick skin, but itll still sting her pretty hard
Old May 14, 2009, 07:15 PM   #14
earlthegoat2

I had a batch of prototype beanbag rounds for 20 ga so at one time they did exist or at least were planning to make them exist.

This was a company in MI that gave some to the store I was working at at the time and since I was the only one who owned a 20 gauge I got them.

They were fun rounds but I have no use for less than lethal.
Old May 17, 2009, 08:17 AM   #15
brian4161

You could fill the wad of a cut open shell with wax to make a wax slug, THIS MAY NOT BE SAFE, but I have seen it done in a 12ga and it works.
Old May 20, 2009, 12:49 PM   #16
Housezealot

I don't know if they make them fo 20 gauge (or if they are legal everywere)
but here we can buy shells called "bird bombs" they are for chasing water fowl out of the brush but the work pretty good for scarring racoons out of from under the deck so you can get a clean shot. Also they are pretty fun
the pretty much lob a fire cracker.
Old May 20, 2009, 01:51 PM   #17
gkdir

What ever happened to "rock salt", sure as hell made an impression on me as a younger man. You give ole mama bruin a butt full of that a couple times, an she's more than likely going to take your place off the lunch route.
Old May 22, 2009, 11:37 AM   #18
SeekHer

There are also "Banger" shells that shot an exploding sound charge downrange and scares the bejesus out of the polar bears around here at the lodge...we all carry shotguns loaded with them...I get them now from the game wardens but I did buy them from a couple of companies that made specialty ammo in the US but Ive never seen them in 20...

The only other thing that I know works on black bears is "Bear Spray"--two, three nights of that in their faces and they should go away...

I get raided by animals also at my house down south and I've rigged up a device of a motion detector mounted on a sprinkler that works against raccoons and sometimes the deer...bought it at a local big box hardware store for about $25.00...works good against the neighbour's dog and cats as well!

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living
Old May 22, 2009, 01:19 PM   #19
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

seekher, That sprinkler device also works on the religious recruiters going door to door far too early on a saturday morning... now to interface it with a video camera....
Brent