The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 26, 2008, 01:59 PM   #1
CowTowner

Bersa Thunder .380 Slide Jammed Open

Need a little help folks. I have a Bersa Thunder .380 that the slide has locked open (back) on. I fired a Winchester factory loaded 95 grain FMJ round from the gun this morning, the slide went back and will not go back forward.
I have tapped it with a plastic hammer, but didn't want to really beat it into submission.
Anyone seen this before? And the quick and painless solution was?
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old April 26, 2008, 07:21 PM   #2
Superhouse 15

Guess

Unload it. Activate the takedown lever, pull back further and attempt to remove the slide. If not, try to tap the rear of the slide downward. If not, remove the grips and see if anything is locked up or out of place. Keep us posted.
Old April 27, 2008, 02:21 PM   #3
CowTowner

I have verified to my satisfaction that it is unloaded.
Slide will not move forward or backward. Takedown lever is free to move. I tapped it back with the lever down, no go. Tried tapping it forward as well, No go. I see nothing out of the ordinary with the grips removed.
I'm beginning to think I should just run it up to Gander Mountain and let them deal with it under warranty.

I can't tell where exactly the slide is stuck. I wonder if the takedown mechanism is what it's hung on. The lever works, but I can't see if the entire takedown assembly moves or not.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy

Last edited by CowTowner; April 28, 2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old May 2, 2008, 11:22 PM   #4
jweste

I don't know how to tell you this. I'm not being mean but it's a Bersa. If its new send it in or try to get a refund and learn your lesson. I've had nothing but problems with Bersa. As did some friends. What ever you do stay awy from Gander Mountain. Unless you know the gunsmith personally.
Old May 3, 2008, 07:48 AM   #5
CowTowner

I had a small issue with it 3 years ago when it was new. That was repaired and the gun has been flawless since then. It's on its way to Colorado Gun Works for repairs under warranty. Bersa may be low cost, but a life time warranty is still worth something.
Old May 13, 2008, 09:31 PM   #6
ForneyRider

Shot the Bersa 380 Thunder duo-tone quite a bit.
Nice accurate gun.
My brother did manage to get a failure to feed, but he can jam any gun.
I think it is the best looking gun in its class. 200$ hard to beat.
Old May 14, 2008, 11:27 AM   #7
CowTowner

I got a call from Colorado Gun Works and it seems they are requesting a new pistol from the factory. I guess that one ain't gonna work no more.
Old May 14, 2008, 12:48 PM   #8
zbordas
Registration in progress

Just read the last post. Did they say how much time it will take to get a replacement from the factory? Some compained that it might take a few months.

I own 3 Bersa firearms and never has any problems with them. I found them to be very reliable.
Old May 14, 2008, 03:50 PM   #9
CowTowner

I was told anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. No definite time frame because of the way the factory ships product to the actual importer. In other words, "I don't know how long it will take".