The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 11, 2007, 01:55 PM   #1
dyoun06

Ithaca Guns USA

http://www.ithacagun.com/

Have not heard much on Ithaca since it closed last year... then was bought and moved to Sandusky, Ohio. Called the factory today and they are in the process of updating their website and receiving the new equipment. The two guys that bought Ithaca are TRUE Americans that want to produce guns in America by Americans! Amazing they do not get more press and support.

They have a few models in stock but are mainly retooling.

No I don't work for Ithaca or have stock... just seems like we should be more supportive of American Made arms!
Old July 12, 2007, 12:14 AM   #2
kozak6

I have an older Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight, and it is dreamy.

It's lighter, smoother, and has a more ergonomic slide release than the Remmy 870. And it's (basically) designed by John Browning.

It's unfortunate that the Model 37 is difficult to tacticalify, and is significantly more expensive new. It's a shame it's not more popular.

I don't know about the new models, but my old 37 is simply awesome.
Old July 12, 2007, 12:39 AM   #3
Slopemeno

I picked one up for a song about 10 years ago. The '37 is so slick, so light, and just so *pointable*, that I dont feel any need to add a bunch of accessories. All I have in mind is lopping it off to 20" or so, a new recoil pad, and thats about it.
Old July 12, 2007, 08:27 AM   #4
bobn

i have two of them. i believe they are 80s builds. one 30 inch full 3inch, one 26 true chokes. i will replave the 20guage 25inch mod i sold as soon as they are operating again. bobn
Old July 13, 2007, 06:37 AM   #5
DIXIE

They Are Back!

I am happy to say ITHACA GUNS USA, LLC is alive and well and making guns again.

I just got a Deer Slayer III rifled 12ga with a scope which is deadly out to 200 yards....it can shoot accurately much farther but I cannot.

I just got a new Mod 37 and it is the best shotgun from Ithaca I've ever seen. Workmanship, fit and finish are excellent.

The Chief Engineer is Craig Marshall and I have been asked to give input into NEW models they may make. I DO NOT WORK FOR ITHACA but would love to help design new O/U, SxS, autos etc.

Would anyone here be interested in helping? I do not have all the good ideas on what shotguns should have and I would appreciate the help.

I am a bird hunter. In the South, "birds" mean quail. I have expanded it to include ducks, turkeys and pheasants.

For quail I like a 28ga O/U or SxS, 26 to 28 inch barrels, single trigger, straight English stock, screw in chokes, splinter fore end and sporting clays recoil pad and light weight They are designing it NOW!

This could be an opportunity to give shooters EXACTLY what they want and need.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited by DIXIE; July 13, 2007 at 06:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old July 13, 2007, 08:41 AM   #6
svenrh

Ithaca 28ga SXS

Ithaca 28ga SXS? Great!!
I would not add a recoil pad, instead have an attractive plate of some sort added. Recoil pads on fine doubles don't make sense to me personally. I think it kills the traditional look of the double. If you want a pad, spend a little extra cash at your local gunsmith to have one added.
Also have a double trigger option.
Other guages would be nice as well on their own frame size.
Old July 13, 2007, 08:50 AM   #7
dyoun06

New Ithaca

Did a little research on the new owners and they will be supporting previous model 37's, et. el. They are making new ones as well -- but the machining, craftsmanship, etc. is MUCH improved. They will be getting their new machines soon and will be able to compete with any manufacturer around. According to their secretary they have a few new guns laying around for sale until they get back into full production soon...

I will be ordering a new Ithaca soon.
Old July 13, 2007, 11:16 AM   #8
Slopemeno

I have an older, Ithaca manufactured Lefever Nitro Special in 20 gauge. THAT thing was the death-ray on small game back when I was in high school. If they copied the ergonomics of that thing...man, I'd buy one.

It would probably be nice in 28 gauge, but I'd really like it in 20 gauge- and they better think about being compatable with steel shot while they're at it.
Nice to see that Ithaca hasnt disappeared.
Old July 13, 2007, 06:20 PM   #9
Ruger4570

I know Companies getting started is difficult and sometimes frustrating. The only problems that bothers me is the fact they do not have and don't want to have the guns handled by dealers, they want to sell direct to people with no "hands on" inspections. Secondly, all I read is they have a wood problem then a barrel problem. To me it looks like a local restaurant or store that says "Closed for Remodeling" never to open again. I wish them all the luck in the world, but it sounds like either they don't know their own requirements or possibly, which is often the case, unable to pay their bills and get shut off. In any event, I sure hope they put it together and get more publicity.