The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 22, 2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Altered Ego

"Want List" Timing...

Never seems to fail, timing sucks...I was picking up a gun that was on lay-away that I finally paid off (Left handed R.R. AR) and no sooner than I walked into the doors of the LGS, did I spot the CZ75 SP-01 that has been on my short list. They only received ONE, so I was forced to put it on lay-away.

Next I went over to Cabela's to finalize a gun purchase there as well and as I did my typical "once around" and what do I find?...another gun that was on my short list, an Automag II in .22wmr. So yet another gun on lay-away.

Just when I thought I was done with purchases for a while...I'm sucked back in!!!

Does this happen to anyone else???
Old January 22, 2013, 09:54 PM   #2
TheDoubleDeuce

I try to force myself to not shop until I am ready to buy - because I always end up buying when I shop.

I try.
Old January 23, 2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Mr_Jumper

I always try to make a purchase plan before shopping around.. having said that, I went to my range/LGS for some good range time and what do I see? a CZ-75B I've been searching for a while, NIB.

Surprisingly, they had 2 in stock along with SS version for about $150 more. Needless to say, I picked it up right then and there, and didn't even bother with the range. So far, best purchase yet, as tested on range yesterday. What a sweet pistol.
Old January 23, 2013, 02:14 PM   #4
jonnyc

Yeah, I have to be careful when I make Want Lists, I always seem to find the most expensive item when the money is low. I just have to decide if this is the best deal I will ever see on that item. It's usually 50/50 whether I buy it then or not.
Old January 23, 2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Joe_Pike

Quote:
Does this happen to anyone else???
Not anymore. Used to, though. I was part of the gun-of-the-month club for two or three years. Now, I've decided I don't need everything I see. Good thing, too, since I've taken a big hit in pay over the last year or two.
Old January 23, 2013, 08:53 PM   #6
BillyJack3

Yeah, I've been on a tear lately and keep telling myself that I'm done for a while. I said it again after last week's 1911 purchase. Now that I think about it, I think I need a Colt 1911 to accompany the Sig and another upper for a completed AR lower. THEN, I'll be done.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:10 AM   #7
makarov

Mostly empty shelves at gunshops around here. A few revolvers, hunting rifles and shotguns. I still like to look, but really am not buying anything right now. Waiting for the panic buying to subside.
Old January 24, 2013, 03:44 AM   #8
JC57

Not me. I've pretty much got the bases covered, so I don't really need anything else. There are two on my wish list but I'll just have to wait. Don't have the money for it right now and you can't find anything now anyway.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:13 AM   #9
jonnyc

Ah, but once they're on the list it's tough to say no!
Old January 24, 2013, 08:41 AM   #10
Skans

Yes it does. But, after my latest purchase, I am done for awhile. Although there are a couple of military style rifles I wouldn't mind buying, I really don't need another .223, 7.62x39 or 308. Nor do I need another 9mm.

Next on my list is a particular S&W revolver that I've been wanting, but I'm in no hurry.

What I will be doing, rather than buying more guns, is to get the grips I really want for some of them, and perhaps a threaded barrel for just one. But, no hurries on any of this stuff either.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:01 AM   #11
Scrumbag

I know what you mean! Last week a Browning SA-22 and Trombone...

I think I'm a terminal case!
Old January 25, 2013, 05:03 PM   #12
Arizona Fusilier

It seems that you would be well-served by making a distinction between "want" and "need" lists; you are definitely acting as these fit the latter category and not the former.

That might be a little easy for me to say, though. I have long since exhausted my "need" list, and pretty much just have "wants".
Old January 25, 2013, 05:46 PM   #13
The Great Mahoo

I used to always find something and put it on my want list.

Now, I don't have the time or money like I used to, so I keep things simple. Fortunately, I have been able to stick with the list as is for a while now. There's only a few guns I really want right now, so I'm just keeping my eyes open and staying away from temptation by not going out of my way to find them.

I'm actually thinking about selling off some of my former "needed" guns, since some of them haven't seen the outside of the safe in a very long time.
Old January 27, 2013, 12:02 AM   #14
Verbal Clint

I've got 3 very young kids at the house and that little voice inside of me says no every time I want something fun. HOWEVER, the guns I do have NEED accessories, don't they? If you call something a self defense weapon or a hunting rifle, well then anything to make them better is completely justifiable...even storing them in nice range bags for field days.
Luke 11:21
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe."
Old January 27, 2013, 09:10 AM   #15
jonnyc

If you set up a little "hobby fund" that doesn't come directly from family resources you will feel less guilty about adding those little accessories. My "bullet fund" gets filled with spare change, the proceeds from little outside jobs, selling odds & ends, etc.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:30 AM   #16
breakingcontact

Quote:
Originally Posted by makarov View Post
Mostly empty shelves at gunshops around here. A few revolvers, hunting rifles and shotguns. I still like to look, but really am not buying anything right now. Waiting for the panic buying to subside.
Me too.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:28 PM   #17
Joe_Pike

Quote:
I know what you mean! Last week a Browning SA-22 and Trombone...
What caliber trombone did you get?
Old January 27, 2013, 07:58 PM   #18
kraigwy

You bet timing sucks when it comes to Want List.

I've been looking for a Model 70 Win to make a 260 Rem target rifle, so the CMP post a target Model 70 (308) on their Auction Site. I bit, I win, thinking I got it made............Nope, the 308 barrel is excellent from what I can tell.

So I spent my Model 70 Action money on a Model 70 Target rifle I don't really need. Gonna have to put off my 260. I got another rifle build, a 1903a3 vintage sniper rifle to build also.

If they pass that Gun A Month Law, its gonna make it easier to justify buying a gun a month.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 28, 2013, 11:28 AM   #19
LarryFlew

I'm too impulsive to go "looking" so I rarely do. Way too many times of picking up something that I thought I needed. About 2 years ago I switched my thinking completely. Used to be one of those never sell a gun type guys. Now it's more of an if you buy one you need to sell something. Now all of a sudden )OK not so sudden) my guitar collection went from 13 to 4 and amps from 1200 watts to 500.

ahhh, trombone one of those in the rafter somewhere.................
Old January 28, 2013, 07:50 PM   #20
Sulaco

My wife saved my financial life. Now that we are debt-free (I am 35), we stick to our very strict budget. If I don't have the money for it, I don't buy it. Saving makes the purchase mean so much more also. We have our own "funds" in our budget. We each save a set amount monthly and if we don't spend it, it just keeps rolling over. Hers is in the thousands. I think I have $3 and change...
Old February 10, 2013, 03:54 PM   #21
jad0110

Sorta. I don't do layaway or credit cards, but I have burned through a stash of fun cash more than once when one or more of the guns on my list cropped up.

These days though, my gun buying is probably done. I've got 30+ and I'm quite content. It is accessories, ammo and reloading gear/supplies I'm itching for now.
Old February 10, 2013, 04:13 PM   #22
jasmith85

I always save the money before I buy a gun. No matter how much I want something, if I don't have the cash for it in my "gun fund" I don't buy it. I'm fine with going in debt on a necessity but I refuse to go in debt for just a want which is what I see guns as.
Old February 10, 2013, 04:19 PM   #23
Frasier

Too many guns, never enough funds.....
I am on a tight budget, but I am putting aside some cash to buy my first 1911, and my LGS still has 8 round 1911 mags available.
I also want to add a .357 Magnum to the stable, and saw a S&W Model 27 last week ( 6" barrel) that is now on my wish list.
Old February 10, 2013, 04:42 PM   #24
lamarw

I say as long as you use the same criteria Suze Orman would use to approve your purchases, then go for it and congrats. The economy can use all the help it can get.

I don't personally have a short or bucket list , but when I run across something I want I am prepared to spring and buy it rigth then and there with cash. This is probably why I have an accumulation vs. a collection of all sorts of crazy things.
Old February 10, 2013, 04:45 PM   #25
TheGoldenState

I have the same problem. Probably why I am hesitant to get a tattoo.
"Luckily" for me, all the gun shops in a 5 county radius have nothing to be had.

My "next up" is a CZ….probably the 75B

Quote:
I always save the money before I buy a gun. No matter how much I want something, if I don't have the cash for it in my "gun fund" I don't buy it. I'm fine with going in debt on a necessity but I refuse to go in debt for just a want which is what I see guns as.
Well put. Very smart indeed.

Quote:
We each save a set amount monthly and if we don't spend it, it just keeps rolling over. Hers is in the thousands. I think I have $3 and change...
LOL……..she's a keeper btw.