The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 4, 2002, 07:57 AM   #1
Doug S

DAC Pistol Safe?

I've been looking at pistol safes for some time. Currently I have a simple key lock Sentry Pistol Box, but I've been considering the Gun Vault Mini Vault for a while. Last night I was at the local Wal-Mart and found a DAC Sport (Pistol) Safe. It has a mechanical lock very similar to the Gun vault that runs on 8 AA batteries and has 10,000 possible codes (& key override). It also has an interior light, and it mounts into a bracket and can be removed and carried with a handle located on top of the box. You can also order extra mounting brackets for car, etc. It has a spring loaded door, is foam lined and holds two pistols. Made out of 14 gauge steel where the Gun vault it made out of 16 gauge steel. $69.99 looked like a pretty good price for a safe with these features. Anyone have any experience with these safes? Do they compare favorably to the Gun vault series? Thanks for any info.
Old November 18, 2002, 09:26 AM   #2
Alerion

I just picked up a DAC SportSafe a few days ago at Wally-World. For the price I just couldn't resist checking it out.

It looks like it was designed to compete directly with the GunVault Deluxe series. Particularly the GunVault 2000 Deluxe (two-gun model.)

Size-wise the DAC is a little smaller than the GV 2000 but still has the removable shelf. The DAC is heavier gauge steel, 14ga, vs. 16ga for the GunVaults.

Like the Deluxe GunVaults the DAC has multiple programable access codes, optional external power (DAC 12V, GV ?), key over-ride, interior light (goes out after a couple of seconds), and a motion alarm (user selected) The DAC also has and the ability to silence the keypad and a "sleeper mode" that disables the keypad for a time interval if too many incorrect entries are made. I assume the GunVaults have these last two features also but I've never seen them listed. The GunVaults have finger-shaped buttons. The DAC has more pronounced round buttons in an arc to conform with fingers. With both companies the buttons are part of a rubber pad so there's not a dirt/moisture problem.

GunVaults do not have the DAC's removeable mounting plate (and carry handle.) After the plate is mounted the safe covers the attachment screws. Toggles attached to the plate pass through the bottom of the safe holding the two together. The toggles can only be released from inside the safe (ie: the door has to be open.) Extra plates are available from DAC for $9.95. This is a great idea for being able to move the safe between house, truck, boat, RV, etc. However if I decide I like the DAC well enough, at $69.96 I'll probably just buy a second one for my travel trailer and not mess with moving it. Even better is that I can have two DACs for about the price of one GV 2000 Deluxe.

Tom
But empty pop bottles was all we would kill. -John Prine, Paradise
Old November 18, 2002, 09:37 AM   #3
Alerion

BTW, the only negative I have with the DAC is that the clear plastic shelf (probably so the light can shine through) is pretty flimsy. I don't think I'd want anything heavy on it if the safe was bouncing in a vehicle. So that pretty well rules out a second gun or ammo on it.

Also, I wouldn't trust the DAC to be much weather protection. The door isn't gasketed and the (side) speaker holes and 12v input are leaks lookin' to happen. I haven't seen anything to make me think the GunVaults are any different.

Tom
But empty pop bottles was all we would kill. -John Prine, Paradise