The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 30, 2013, 07:29 PM   #1
bswiv

The joy of summer in the woods.........

Spent most of the day in the woods.......proving once again that intelligence is not necessarily part of the outdoors!

And YES!......The yellow blurs are what you think!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010028.jpg (241.2 KB, 178 views)
Old July 1, 2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Erno86

Ahh yes...deer flies, I assume --- good thing they seem to live only during the month of June --- I'm hoping.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; July 1, 2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old July 1, 2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Hawg

Yep, horseflies, ticks, redbugs, mosquitos, snakes. Summertime in the woods is GREAT!!!!!
Old July 1, 2013, 07:25 PM   #4
David13

There are joys of summers in the woods. No school. Or, 'on vacation'.
And warm weather.
But yes, mosquitos, bees never bothered me, humidity.
I have been sweating the last few days. But it's better than freezing in the winter.
And the days are now getting shorter.
So I will enjoy it while I can.
Oh yeah, and, no woods here. Just some dry landscaping.
dc
Old July 1, 2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Old Stony

LA has it's own variety of snakes, bugs, and critters of dubious value to the world. Even a few skunks here and there...
Old July 1, 2013, 09:48 PM   #6
David13

Several nights in the past week or so a skunk walked past my door. At least it sure smelled like it. I think he came to visit my cats.
They get run over a few blocks over from here on a regular basis. The smell tells what it was.
My favorites are the tarantulas. But those tend to be in other areas around the state. There is one area past Mojave, Caliente Bodfish road that always seems to have a whole patch of them crawling across the road.
dc
Old July 1, 2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Fun in the sun while in the woods. You guys got to be kidding!!

No thanks. I'm a practical guy that likes his air-conditioning. Had enough of summer woods when I was a kid. Planting tree's and clearing brush for the county. Gnats from Georgia and Texacan yellow jackets. "Oh those were the days!!"_

S/S
Old July 2, 2013, 03:00 AM   #8
alex0535

Walked through the woods today, saw a small herd of deer two times on the walk around the back of the property, could of been a second group though.

One of the things I found concerning was that for a short part of the walk I noticed the distinct smell of death and decay in the air. Didn't see any dead animals, but then again I didn't look very hard.
Old July 2, 2013, 08:38 AM   #9
Hunter Customs

I prefer fall and winter, no matter if I'm walking or horseback.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old July 2, 2013, 09:31 AM   #10
Doyle

Quote:
LA has it's own variety of snakes, bugs, and critters of dubious value to the world. Even a few skunks here and there...
Plus, you 've got some non-human vamints too.
Old July 2, 2013, 10:16 AM   #11
arch308

I don't spend much time in the woods this time of year. Too hot, chiggers and such are far too abundant and the animals don't come out very much. I go to the deer lease every few months to fill the feeder and shoot a little. That's about it.
Old July 6, 2013, 12:42 AM   #12
BIG P

YEP,& All of those noseeums just great.Along with over 10'' of rain & clouds of skeeters heck yea give me some of that.
Old July 6, 2013, 06:57 PM   #13
tahunua001

I can live with deer flies, horse flies, even the mosquitos but the bald headed hornets P me O something awful. the meanest stingin basterds there are and they have a potent sting to begin with and they are everywhere in the woods up here.
Old July 11, 2013, 10:12 PM   #14
AL45

The woods my family and I head to in the summer is usually about 8000-9000 feet up in the Mountains of Northern New Mexico. We don't worry about bugs or snakes, but we do keep an eye out for Black Bears and Mountain Lions.
Old July 11, 2013, 10:40 PM   #15
BuckRub

Live right here in Buffalo, Tx. Surrounded by hardwoods. Deer come up about 30 yards to the house everyday. Seen a doe and twins this morning out back window. I go out in the woods from time to time but don't go on long walks like a use to. I'm 45 now and hang close to air conditioning now. Do shoot some kind of gun almost every day or every other off the front porch.
Old July 14, 2013, 02:01 PM   #16
treg

I tend to get stuff done now so I can spend more time in the woods come fall. Wood and hay are almost done already this year.

I wear Off with 40% deet when riding horse, hiking or fishing in the woods this time of year. Deer flies make me swell like crazy.

I'd rather put up with the bugs than sit and watch Nascar!
Old July 14, 2013, 04:59 PM   #17
Gunplummer

alex0535--

My one buddy used to take the bicycle out and he told me at one wooded crossroad he smelled something real dead for a couple days. Turned out it was some irate guy's wife dumped there. You never know what is out there.
Old July 14, 2013, 10:52 PM   #18
BuckRub

Here in buffalo tx next to the heat in July and August bugs and things aren't bad. Every year I only see about 10 or so Mosquitos so we really don't have them. We haven't had our buffalo gnats in about 10 years. Really it's just the heat. Sure we have copperheads and Big Timber rattlers and water moccasins next to creeks but I'd walk everyday and see things then sit in front of a tv and watch others live. If you have the health, get out and make memories.
Old July 16, 2013, 04:48 PM   #19
Chad.C

Nothin quite like summer... Getting the four wheeler stuck in knee deep mud while being ate by annoying deer flies