The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 1, 2012, 07:54 AM   #1
9ballbilly

nutria hunting in florida

OK, my Florida CCW has been approved, issued, and mailed. Almost time to go. That said, I'm wondering if it's feasible to hunt nutria rats from a kayak. Seems like it might be a good way to get to them. Anybody ever try it? Or have a better way?
Old August 2, 2012, 09:34 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Check the "shooting from a vessel" rules... I know for "game animals" it is legal but vessel must be at rest...

Brent
Old August 2, 2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Mobuck

Don't shoot sidewise with a 12 guage.
Have you seen the new TV show "Rat Bastards"? Nutria hunting for $15/head bounty. Some real winners there.
Old August 2, 2012, 12:44 PM   #4
kayakersteve

I just talked to a buddy yesterday that stated he and a group of guys are going to louisiana to do this. he even stated that they get paid $5.00 for each that they turn over at the ?DEC station. Sounds like fun..
Old August 2, 2012, 03:06 PM   #5
armoredman

What the heck is a nutria? Sounds like a vitamin.
Can you take a good shot from a boat? I'd think water/boat movement would really require a steady hand. If you can do it, much more power to you - I'd have a heck of a time!
Old August 2, 2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Tuzo

This is a nutria

We have a lot of them in SE Louisiana.
Old August 2, 2012, 04:15 PM   #7
aarondhgraham

One would think,,,

One would think the gators would take care of the nutria problem,,,
They look absolutely "bite sized".

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 2, 2012, 04:57 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Trouble is, they breed like rats. I don't think the Gators can come close to keeping up.
Old August 2, 2012, 05:13 PM   #9
Hansam

Looks like fun with a .22mag or .17hmr rifle. That said I haven't got a clue about shooting them from a boat in FL.

Here in WI you can shoot waterfowl from a boat but the boat has to be at rest... ie. not moving at all! If its moving its considered firing from a moving vessel/vehicle which is illegal except in cases of self defense.

In the case of a kayak where there is no anchor etc. I'd wonder if you could render the kayak immobile before shooting... or if that would take too much time before losing the shot opportunity.
Old August 3, 2012, 09:35 AM   #10
kayakersteve

That one above needs to see a dentist - Teeth show obvious signs of lead defeciency. Because I am skilled in medicine as a physician assistant, I am able to determine that he is approximately 55 grains deficient. I would be willing to give him an intracranial dose for free to correct the problem because I am a nice guy.
Old August 3, 2012, 10:06 AM   #11
Bailey Boat

When I lived in south FL there was a canal across the street that came from a fairly large lake that contained an amazing number of them. The neighbor allowed me to sit on the canal wall in a lawn chair and shoot them as they came swimming by. Any afternoon would result in killing 8 to 10 with a .22 rifle using Super Colibri's to keep the noise down. I must have killed 50 or more during the one summer I took up the sport. It didn't make any noticeable difference in thier population.
Old August 3, 2012, 10:14 AM   #12
teeroux

Quote:
Don't shoot sidewise with a 12 guage.
Have you seen the new TV show "Rat Bastards"? Nutria hunting for $15/head bounty. Some real winners there.
I never saw that show but I've shot broadside out of a pirogue with a 12ga more times than I can count.
Old August 3, 2012, 11:13 AM   #13
Tuzo

Those teeth are really orange. It's natural coloration not a fashion statement. They are almost as large as an adult beaver and much more fecund (one of my favorite words).

Jefferson Parish Sheriff deputies and swat would shoot - .22's - nutria along bayou levees at night for two reasons: target practice and pest control. These critters denude protective cover from the levees causing erosion and weakness. Nutria strip wetlands of vegetation also causing erosion and wetlands loss. They thrive in fresh and brackish waters.

Several years ago nutria were hunted for fur. PETA and other animal rights groups caused the US fur industry to become less profitable and nutria hunting-for-profit ceased.
Old August 3, 2012, 09:04 PM   #14
GeauxTide

You won't get up on them in a boat, but 22LR is the ticket. Head is big and easy to hit to 100 yards.
Old August 3, 2012, 09:51 PM   #15
armoredman

Aha, now we know where naugahyde came from...

Are they good eating or no?
Old August 4, 2012, 12:01 PM   #16
Tuzo

Make gumbo

"Are they good eating or no?"

Lots of Cajun cooks prepare nutria. Haven't tried it but it probably tastes like bayou flavored chicken. Less greasy than raccoon which I have tried and found OK.

Should be good in gumbo. But nearly anything edible is good in gumbo as long as the roux is properly prepared. My favorite roux is darkest brown and nutty tasting and can be added to nearly any dish for extra flavor and texture.

Bon appetit!
Old August 5, 2012, 06:57 PM   #17
armoredman

Sorry, Tuzo, Arizona desert rat, never had a properly made gumbo, sounds delicious.
Old August 6, 2012, 03:01 PM   #18
spacecoast

Quote:
The nutria were a lot more confrontational than I expected. Maybe they were playing up that aspect, but I didn't blame the guy using the (I think) 12-gauge. Slogging through the swamp to find them doesn't sound like a lot of fun, I think I'd probably sit for a while and see if they come out like the woodchucks do up north.
Old August 8, 2012, 02:57 PM   #19
GeauxTide

Ate Nutria sausage once. Nahisty!
Old August 8, 2012, 03:12 PM   #20
robhof

robhof

I've had it in gumbo, but as said, with proper seasoning anything is good in gumbo, tastes like squirrel. We were at a dockside outdoor diner in southern La. a few years ago and they were swimming back and forth by the dock, until someone threw in some food scraps and all heck broke loose, apparently they'd been fed for awhile. They do have some nasty teeth and are very agressive.
Old August 9, 2012, 08:52 AM   #21
sc928porsche

Nutria are a little larger than muskrats. They are very similar to the muskrat and do the same damage. They tunnel into the banks usulally a bit below waterline and make dens just a bit above the waterline. A bit like a beaver den. Like all rodents, they are prolific. This weakens levees and ditches and can cause failure which leads to flooding.

When I was young (teen), I used to trap muskrats in the Sacramento valley. I would skin them and streach their hides. I got 75 cents apiece. The hides were used to make womens coats and coat collars.