The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 10, 2011, 02:46 PM   #26
Slugo

for me it has absolutely nothing to do with recoil, age, illness, or whatever. The enjoyment of shooting a 20 as opposed to a 12 is what I'm all about. The guns are sleeker and more regal than their larger counterparts. The smaller ammo doesn't cost a dime more. Everything about the 20 is better, at least for me. Plus, I love dusting off my shooting buds with a sub-gauge gun. Oh, I'll still shoot my 12's, but not often...

20 gauge Browning Citori White Lightning. The almost perfect Citori...

Last edited by Slugo; November 10, 2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old November 10, 2011, 02:58 PM   #27
oneounceload

Quote:
20 gauge Browning Citori White Lightning. The almost perfect Citori...
Don't you have a Superposed in 20? THAT would be the "ultimate" Browning in 20 gauge..........
Old November 10, 2011, 03:31 PM   #28
BigJimP

Sure, I suppose a time element - for acceleration has an academic place in the discussion on recoil ...but I still maintain that a person can't really tell an incremental difference between the recoil of a slower burning powder vs a faster burning powder - so I'm not convinced they are incrementally different enough to make a difference in the calculation - or in felt recoil.

I know people do believe its a factor ....but I just don't buy into it.

While there is a big difference - based on the weight of the gun, the weight of the shot charge - and the velocity as best we can measure it / or take it from the reloading tables.

Many people grow up - being assured that a 20ga will inherently have less recoil than a 12ga....and it just is not necessarily true if you run the numbers. All the experts will tell you the effects of recoil are cumulative as well ...and in a tournament where you might fire 100 to 200 shells a day for 4 or 5 days in a row ...plus the mental concentration it takes to watch and shoot all those targets...I'm physically tired at the end of the week ...and shooting heavier, or hotter loads, or a lighter gun ...would make it way worse.
Old November 10, 2011, 08:08 PM   #29
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'm a little skeptical about the slow powder thing, the difference is measured in microseconds and we're not geared for discerning that.

I could use the 20s here more, and may, but they're more bird guns than clays destroyers. I like my SKB, but a few years of heavy use would hurt it badly. And heavy use in that little 6 lb, 2 oz 870 would hurt me.

At the same time, I could get a long barreled 20 gauge O/U with choke tubes and do all of my clay stuff and most of my hunting.

And I may.....
Old November 11, 2011, 04:39 AM   #30
Slugo

Dave, come on...

I know skeet shooters who have put thousands of rounds through their 20 gauge skeet guns, and they're still ticking as well as any 12 bore. I'm sure you do too...
Old November 11, 2011, 03:11 PM   #31
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

So do I, Slugo. The SKB 600 was made as a field gun, and since SKB is not making guns at the moment, parts and service are chancy. That's the only reason.

There's no reason,IMO, that a 20 gauge 686 for, instance, would break down sooner than a 12 gauge 686. Apples to apples.
Old November 11, 2011, 03:16 PM   #32
oneounceload

And while that is absolutely true, skeeters will typically go for the 12 and sub tubes to keep the gun exactly the same - same trigger and stock fit, same balance point and swing dynamics, same weight and handling.

But I also see a lot of folks shooting sporting with a 20 -they aren't the serious competitor types - and since they use 20's for bird hunting, it makes sense from an ammo and logistics aspect. There aren't too many targets the 20 can't stay with
Old November 11, 2011, 11:49 PM   #33
mr kablammo

Who can give us an informed opinion on the Browning A5 or Franchi AL48 in 20 ga? That is my 'someday' shotgun. The BPS in 20 ga usually gets compliments on the skeet range. It just looks and feels right.
Old November 12, 2011, 07:28 PM   #34
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've hunted with folks with AL48s for 40 years, and they seem quite happy with them. Most have been 20s.

Fair amount of kick, they run less than 6 lbs, maybe less than 5.5.