The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 19, 2015, 02:02 PM   #1
burb122

winchester 1897 HELP!!

Hi guys. I need some answers about this 12ga riot shotgun. Original. Solid Frame.

1. The mag tube is stuck in there real good. No heat or tools are getting it to un thread. Have any of you had stuck/siezed mag tubes. If so any recomendations of removal. And yes the grub screw in the receiver is out.

2. Is this normal. When the gun is not cocked or loaded (hammer down) should the pump/action bar assembly have about 1/4 inch of slop in it? Not rolling slop. Longituginal slop along the mag tube. And when cocked and loaded the slop is gone.
Old May 19, 2015, 03:27 PM   #2
Dufus

1. Spray some Kroil on it and let it soak over night, then try removal.

2. Mine does that too and has since I got it back in the 60s.
Old May 19, 2015, 03:52 PM   #3
burb122

Wd40 and heat the hell out of it dont work
Old May 19, 2015, 05:07 PM   #4
Dufus

WD40 has many uses, but penetrating oil and lubricant ain't on the list.

The one very good thing about it is you gotta go a long way to beat it as a preservative (aka rust preventative). It is just a terrible lubricant.

I have used Kroil for prolly 35 years or maybe a little longer and it is one heck of a penetrating oil.

If you don't have any, try something like Liquid Wrench. Just soak over night or a little longer. You might try heating during the next attempt at removal.
Old May 19, 2015, 05:56 PM   #5
BillDish

Winny 1897

I had exactly the same issue with one I purchased about a year ago. Tried everything then ran accross a do it yourself penetrating oil. 50% transmission fluid and 50% acetone. I mixed it in a little squirt bottle and applied 360 degrees around barrel. Worked like a charm and only took 20 minutes of soak time. I keep that bottle around the shop and have used it several times on other projects.

Good luck!
Old May 19, 2015, 07:39 PM   #6
burb122

The thing is there is no way to apply a torque around the tube with the pump action bar in the way. Ya know like a small oil filter wrench. The method i tried and failed was to feed a hose clamp through and under the pump slide. Feed some heat shrink over the hose clamp to protect the barrel. Tighten heat like hell and grip the hose clamp with some knipex poly grips and turn. All it did was kink the mag tube. She is really stuck in there. Im picking someone has bonded it in there. All i want to do is remove the pump assembly to check condition. But i cant with thus darn mag tube suck in.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:08 PM   #7
gyvel

Some solid frame 97s have a retaining screw located on the right lower forward side of the receiver. If so, did you remove that?
SIFE
Old May 20, 2015, 12:48 AM   #8
burb122

Yes i have removed that screw. And i have watched disassembly videos relative to this firearm. Is there any way to get this pump slide action out of the receiver without taking the mag tube off?
Old May 20, 2015, 04:47 PM   #9
gyvel

Try taking the retainer nut off from the front of the action slide bar. Maybe then the action tube will clear the springs on the mag tube and you can disconnect from the receiver and remove it. This will give you better access to the mag tube.
SIFE