The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 10, 2011, 07:17 PM   #1
johnwaters

Tompkins County, NY - Handgun

Hi, just moved to the area, been here for 6 months, and was trying to transfer my handgun from PA to NY legally. Apparently, I need 4 references, but do not know anyone. Anyone know a group of people I could meet that would not be totally against handgun ownership (like most of the university folk) ? They have to be residents too, not just living here and all my coworkers are not residents. Gun clubs ? Other? ... I'd just hate to throw away my nice Sig.

Thanks!
Old March 10, 2011, 08:23 PM   #2
357 Python

Are there any gun clubs in the area? Get to know a good gunshop and its employees. Do the references have to be from NY couldn't they be people you know in PA? Just some ideas.
Old March 10, 2011, 11:44 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

This won't help in the immediate situation but -- longer term -- you have to wonder how requirements like needing four personal references will stand up if challenged in court. Now that the Supreme Court has ruled that the 2nd Amendment RKBA is a "fundamental" right, it's going to be difficult for the state of New York to explain to a Federal judge why someone recently arrived in NY can't exercise his fundamental Constitutional right because he didn't have four letters of recommendation.
Old March 11, 2011, 07:52 AM   #4
geetarman

I would really like to see this tested in the courts.

Have you talked to anyone at NRA?

Geetarman

PS If you do decide to toss the Sig, and I don't think you should, please toss it to Phoenix. I can ALWAYS use another
Old March 11, 2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You've been here 6 months and don't know anyone?

Those four references are "character" references, not just 4 random people that you can find to sign a peice of paper.

The county is going to contact them. If they don't know you, the county WILL decline the permit. It might even be a chargeable offense to lie on the permit application.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; March 11, 2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old March 11, 2011, 10:03 AM   #6
johnwaters

Nobody said anything about lying. I'm asking to meet 4 people who are county residents and can get to know me. My coworkers are foreign nationals (not permanent residents) at the university and don't believe in gun ownership anyway.

To the others, no I'm not looking to change the system...just take my rights. I'm just worried about the outcome I can control - me.

However, I did search the online database by address and found that my neighbor has a pistol permit, so I could probably ask him. 3 left to go. But, questioning whether I really want my neighbor to know.

The references (and residents) not only have to be from NY, they have to be from the specific county! And it has to be notarized! It's hard! I mean, come on, you can't ask anyone you don't know to go to a notary for you. That takes a personal relationship. I know 10 people well in this town on a personal level and they're all technially residents (grad students) of other states.

Good idea on a gun club...I called a shop last night and it didn't help much. The thing is, I'm not looking to be a gun club regular...just a regular guy who wants my damn Sig, lol! I bought it as a gift to myself from leaving the service.

Last edited by johnwaters; March 11, 2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old March 11, 2011, 10:04 AM   #7
johnwaters

Also, this brings about the choice :barf::
1) Go through all this just to get a $1000 pistol.
2) Just go to Dick's Sporting Goods and get an AR-15 or Shotgun with no paperwork.

Also, I'm originally a resident of a different county in NY and have plenty of residents there for reference. However, not in my current county.
Old March 11, 2011, 10:21 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
However, I did search the online database by address and found that my neighbor has a pistol permit, so I could probably ask him.
Do you have a link for this database?
Old March 11, 2011, 10:28 AM   #9
johnwaters

Sure, they'll never get rid of it all. Found it on google. Google probably keeps it too since they save EVERYTHING.

http://cryptome.org/ny-packing-master.zip
Old March 11, 2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting. I had heard that it was public but never bothered to look. Seems like pretty useless information. If anything, it should tell any potential criminal where NOT to go.

Anyway, good luck. Tompkins county is probably second worst in upstate. Your best bet would be to move a couple miles up the road to Cortland county.