The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 16, 2010, 08:00 AM   #26
lt dan

actually i think the hog on the right was the heaviest of 09, but smallish teeth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01609.JPG (38.7 KB, 79 views)
Old January 17, 2010, 10:24 AM   #27
Todd1700

Well my deer season isn't over yet. Not until the end of January. But I have killed the following so far.

Oct 20th I got up a tree overlooking a narrow trail where I had spotted a bachelor group of 6 bucks a few days earlier. At about 5 pm this wide 6 point came along and stopped broadside at 15 yards. I sent a 3 blade 100gr Muzzy broadhead right over his heart. He weighed 180 lbs which is pretty good for a Bama buck. Despite only having 6 points he had a 19 1/2 inch inside spread.

In November a buddy and I went on a hunting trip up to Pike County, Illinois. We were on a do it yourself hunt on a farmers land near Pittsfield. It was tougher than usually hunting because the corn was still standing when we got there and the weather turned warm on us. But on the 4th day this buck below came out of a corn field trailing behind 3 does. I saw them come out of the corn and loop around the edge of a little pond out to my right. I was hunting a narrow lane between the pond and a deep ditch behind me. They where coming right at me. I drew on him at 30 yards but he stopped quartering towards me and right behind the limbs of a little tree that were criss crossing his vitals. No shot! When he finally started to move again he followed the does right past my tree but I could not get him to stop. I shot him walking at 10 yards with a Grim Reaper expandable. It drove through the left shoulder and buried into the offside shoulder. He snapped my arrow into when he ran. I watched as he headed back out into the field and his chest just kept getting lower and lower as he ran. Finally he just plowed the ground and cut a flip. Main frame 10 point with a split right brow tine making him and 11 point. Weighed 230lbs.

Last edited by Todd1700; January 17, 2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old January 17, 2010, 12:39 PM   #28
sc outdoorsman

I got 3 does and passed on many more bucks and does. Inever did see any big bucks this year. The best thing that happened this year is my son killed his first deer. A big doe that he got two days after getting his first rifle. There were two really happy people in the woods that day and I think he is really hooked on deer hunting now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bri1rs.JPG (103.9 KB, 50 views)
Old January 17, 2010, 01:49 PM   #29
James R. Burke

I will try to get some pics up but alittle green on posting pic's. With a combo in the U.P. of Michigan one needs a min of three points on one side, and the other four or more on one side. If you buy a single lic you cant go back and buy another, but that one all you need is one antler 3" or longer on one side. We been trying to leave the smaller bucks go here, and looking for bigger ones, and taking some does if the permits are avaliable. The first one I got was at 125 yards kind of running but not real fast seven pointer. Took a shot knowing if I hit him it would be in a good spot or a nice miss. Hit him in the base of neck thru heart, and out shoulder. I am on a hill. Stll went about 30 yards. The second one was at 200 yards which is almost unheard of here, most shots are 50 to 75 yards. It was getting dusk, and I seen him grazing between some trees, he had a real big body. When I picked up the rifle he stepped back and looked right at me. All I could see was from the neck up. I tryed the neck, and he went down so fast I almost missed it. Oh before the shot I knew he had the four on one side. I posted it before but I have a short memory. Had them both weighed. I believe the seven was 152, and the bigger one which was a eight with a smaller rack was 182. So it was good year for me. My wife let some forks, and a spike walk she had just one lic so she could have taken either one. I was pretty proud of her. We have been seeing some nicer bucks leaving the small ones go so its working, but its up to the hunter if you want it and its legal go for it.

Last edited by James R. Burke; January 17, 2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Pics:Try pics again
Old January 17, 2010, 02:05 PM   #30
grubbylabs

Well my Elk season was a bust did not even get to see one during season. My deer season was slightly worse, I hit a good sized do and was never able to find her.

But my Duck season was fairly good, better than I thought it would turn out. We had over 18,000 duck and geese die on a reservoir right before season started. But we still had a reasonable productive season, best of all I got to take my 4 year old son out for the first time on a duck hunt. Next year if I have time to hunt(school and all) I hope to take him on some short day "hunts" Which will probably turn into father son walks, but I am sure they will be exciting.
Old January 17, 2010, 02:55 PM   #31
DRice.72

This was my first year deer hunting. Inexpirence was my enemy, I sat and watched deer I couldn't shoot. I'll be back this fall though to try again. I also want to try getting on some other game too. Its a lot like fishing, there is always next year!
Old January 17, 2010, 04:08 PM   #32
Shorthair

Really Todd, you don't expect us to believe you killed anything without a scent locked shadow mossy oak mountain treeline camo pattern on, do you?
JK, nice buck!
Old January 17, 2010, 04:53 PM   #33
James R. Burke

Rembrant and Todd 1700 very nice bucks. With a handgun and bow. WoW. You guys should be proud. Also not to shortchange anyone there are some very nice deer I am seeing. Way to go.
Old January 17, 2010, 06:52 PM   #34
James R. Burke

Shorthair just wondering were in Michigan do you live. I am in the U.P. over by Iron Mountain. Just curious. By the way I had a Shorthair for twelve great years, never scorded that many birds in my life, and doubt if I ever will again.
Jim
Old January 18, 2010, 10:26 AM   #35
Dannyl

Short but OK

HI,
This year I only had to days to hunt. My wife shot her first buck (a Springbok) and I took a VERY nice size Oryx.
Looking forward to next season...
Cheers,
Danny
Old January 18, 2010, 06:17 PM   #36
Shorthair

Hi James, I live in Troy, suburb north of Detroit. One of the best trips I ever made was a 2000 fall UP grouse hunt with my late great GSP Remington. We hunted Gwynn, mostly.
Old January 18, 2010, 07:58 PM   #37
James R. Burke

HI Shorthair,
I think it is one of the best all around hunting dogs there are. But that is just me, and I know not ever one would aggree with that, but like I said its just me. Had mine from eight weeks till he passed at (12) . Cremated him, and buried him with a marker and the hat I was wearing when I got my first bird with him, at the spot we got the bird. I had a real nice deer season one seven and one eight both pretty big body wise. The eight was in the 180's but did not have a super rack but it was o.k. When you came up this way you were in a great spot, nice hunting there. But like anything you have your good, and bad days. Hope yours was a good trip. Nice meeting you, and I am sure we will talk again. Take care and good luck with all your hunting.
Old January 18, 2010, 08:44 PM   #38
youp

This is a picture of the deer I got this year.

No, I do not see a picture either. First year since '85 I blanked. It is becoming apparent to me that the wolves and coyotes are turning the whitetails into canine feces. I prefer turning deer into homo sapien feces, oh well.
Old February 1, 2010, 09:47 AM   #39
knoxville

good year past on many bulls and called this small bull in for my little brothers first bow kill
Old February 1, 2010, 09:49 AM   #40
knoxville

oh ya and also my 09 185 3/4 p&y buck and archey turkey
Old February 1, 2010, 02:10 PM   #41
L_Killkenny

This year was my worst year hunting in my life (Not to be a downer or anything ). Started off well enough with 11 coon on opening day (first weekend of Nov). That night I came down with a fever and was on my back until Dec. 1 when I was finally well enough to return to work. Missed all the good coon hunting by that point. Deer season started on Dec 5 but because I had missed so much work I was only able to hunt opening weekend and accomplished that coughin and hackin my way thru the timber. Saw deer but the wind and fate was not with me. The following tues we had the first of 5 major winter storms move thru causing me to miss work on weds, thurs, and fri because our road was impassable. Same thing at Christmas, week after new years, etc etc. Throw in a couple or 3 weeks of below zero weather.

We did try some more coon callin in January and managed a couple more, some late season doe hunting in which we didn't fire a shot (one weekend), one day of small game hunting and a few days of coyote/fox hunting and that rounds out my season.

Total for the Season reads like this:
2 fox, some coon, 1 rabbit, 2 squirrel

This is coming from a guy that ususally hunts 1-8 hours a day, 4-5 days a week in Nov (depending on work and weather), every weekend plus holidays, some evenings and a 5 day deer season in dec. and then weekends in Jan. My usual take in recent years = lots of rabbits, coon and squirrel, 5-10 fox and coyote, and 1-4 deer. On a bright note: I did call in a red last night to with-in 75 yards (final day of season) and put it down.

This year sucked donkey turds!

LK

Last edited by L_Killkenny; February 1, 2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old February 1, 2010, 02:46 PM   #42
crimsondave

Old February 1, 2010, 03:18 PM   #43
landcruzr

Best year so far

This was the best year of my hunting life so far.......and I didnt get a thing.I put the effort into showing my 14 year old son all I could on hunting and......
My son got his first deer this year, a 110/115 lb doe on the ground with a bow.....
Made me feel like I did well at teaching him the sport. It sure was a proud day
Old February 1, 2010, 09:48 PM   #44
Booner B

Had my best season yet. Killed a nice 8 point with my bow, 95 3/8. got a 200 pound bear with my honda accord (not my prefered killling instrument). took 4 does for the freezer.

The best part of the season was the things i saw, rather than those that i killed. I saw the three biggest deer i've ever seen (the pilot antler restriction policy is finally working!) Saw a real nice 10 - about 135, a massive heavy horned 9 - 130ish and a really wide 8. Also i saw 6 bears (the one i hit, a 300ish boar, and a sow with 3 cubs.

best of all, the things i saw this year gave me a lot of hope for years to come. the quality of the game in my area has really improved due to the new management strategies by the DEC, and i'm looking forward to eventually getting one of those big ones i saw!

it used to be in my area, when my father was my age, seeing a 4 pointer was a rare thing, and an 8 was almost unheard of. Now I see 8s and tens with regularity, and they're getting bigger!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bow buck 4.jpg (131.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg bear 3.jpg (22.9 KB, 37 views)
Old February 2, 2010, 04:32 PM   #45
davecharles

Not my best year but I still had a lot of fun. Here is one I took with my TC Omega. I'm getting old so i bought a 4 wheeler to help me haul deer the mile between my stand and the road.
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2128.jpg (248.0 KB, 37 views)
Old February 3, 2010, 09:15 AM   #46
Lee Lapin

I was able to get out in the woods one more year, and see plenty of deer and other critters. Didn't shoot any of them. Don't care one whit. It was a great season... wouldn't mind another just like it next year.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old February 4, 2010, 10:17 PM   #47
gedenke

Some great posts folks! Keep em' comin....it's almost time to start thinking about THIS year! Turkey & Spring Bear is just around the corner and there's always yodel dogs to deal with.

Oh, and sorry to those of you who had less than satisfactory seasons. For what it's worth, I hunted with my Pop up in central Washington....didn't see a single buck ('cept the ones hangin' in OTHER PEOPLE'S camps) but man, was it a good trip! Hope you all have exceptional experiences this coming year. Be safe...and shoot straight, we'll see ya back at camp!
Old February 6, 2010, 09:53 PM   #48
gitarmac

got my first pig

then got a couple more

then got a doe that I dont' have a still of. Not really much considering how much I sat but I can't complain.
Old February 6, 2010, 11:39 PM   #49
gedenke

Not a pig hunter (yet), but that looks to be a good sized one! Nice shooting! I do have one question though, and this is for everyone, is wild pig meat good? I imagine it would have a "gamier" flavor than a farm hog, but bacon is bacon.
Old February 26, 2010, 06:55 PM   #50
kaylorinhi

First Year with White Tail

Not bad for my first year, 2 shots, 2 bucks!

The seven is decent width and the 8 is what I call "praying Hands" not real wide but a typical eight so I am happy with myself and my buddy who let me take the eight on his lease!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0003.jpg (249.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg deer 7-1.jpg (37.2 KB, 21 views)