The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 16, 2015, 03:27 PM   #1
Ocraknife

Handgun scopes

I'm thinking about getting a handgun scope for a .22 I don't know much about scopes. Is there anything I need to look for or any general advice on scopes you could give? Could I get something passable for $200 or so? I'm just plinking and poking holes in paper not competing

-Jimro
Old December 16, 2015, 03:44 PM   #2
Doyle

You aren't going to find a lot that are really good (at least in a variable power version) in that price range - although for a .22 you don't need the kind of recoil protection that you'd be looking for in a high-end scope. If you are willing to live with a 2x fixed scope your options open up quite a bit. Nikon makes a decent 2x scope in that price range.
Old December 16, 2015, 04:17 PM   #3
g.willikers

How about a dot scope, (either red or green depending on your vision)?
There's good ones in that price range.
Old December 16, 2015, 04:26 PM   #4
Doyle

I agree with G. Willikers. If you are just plinking and poking holes at normal pistol ranges then a dot sight would be ideal. Cheaper than a scope and quicker at target acquisition.
Old December 16, 2015, 05:53 PM   #5
NoSecondBest

Take a good look at something like the Burris FastFire2 or FastFire3 red dots. About the price range you're looking at.
Old December 16, 2015, 07:21 PM   #6
Ocraknife

I could spend more if I need to but I'm not sure id get the full benefit of a nice scope for what I plan to do with the gun. Still, id hate to under buy and end up replacing in a year because I wanted something better.

The red dot thing seems interesting. Do they offer any magnification? Even 2x would be good. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

-Jimro
Old December 16, 2015, 07:25 PM   #7
turkeestalker

Quote:
Nikon makes a decent 2x scope in that price range.
I've had a 2x Nikon on top of a .44 Ruger Redhawk for 30 years and it's still going.
Old December 17, 2015, 08:41 AM   #8
Doyle

Magnification on a pistol scope might not be the solution for your eyes - especially if you are talking about normal pistol shooting distances. I've got old fart's eyes too so I can certainly understand the lack of ability to focus on iron sights. The red dot offers you a focus-free aiming point so if you have the same problem I do then a dot would solve your problem without magnification.

In my opinion, magnification on a pistol scope is really only needed when the target is further away and you need to get a better view of the target itself (as in Mr. Deer is standing 60 yds away and you need to get a clear shot at his boiler).
Old December 17, 2015, 08:55 AM   #9
g.willikers

Yeah, the way to use dot scopes is to look at the target, not the dot, (or a reticle).
That's one of the benefits of using them.
Old eyes like dot scopes.
Old December 17, 2015, 09:01 AM   #10
skizzums

I think this is what they are referring to, or at least what Nikon has available today, sub 200$, but mounting won't be super cheap depending on your pistol.
http://swfa.com/Nikon-2x20-Force-XR-...pe-P51969.aspx

165$ with Amazon Prime if you like silver
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Force-2x...ct_top?ie=UTF8

this may seem too cheap, but has 5 star reviews and it's only going on a .22
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009PAK5FG/..._t3_B0000V2EDU

probably a better option
http://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Classic...T21G858104WF8S

I just got a Taurus 82B4 that I am thinking I may also put a scope one. it's to big to carry, so figure I may as well have some fun with it.

Last edited by skizzums; December 17, 2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old December 17, 2015, 12:35 PM   #11
jackmoser65

Yes, it would help very much to know what particular firearm you're looking to scope.

Red dots work fine but I typically prefer a 2x on a handgun. Especially for a .22, particularly one that might be used for small game.
Old December 17, 2015, 06:49 PM   #12
black mamba

Red dots weigh from 4-6 oz., while scopes with mounts are frequently over a pound. That 12 oz. difference may not sound like much, but it makes a huge difference in off-hand shooting. Unless you want to shoot handguns at long range (say beyond 75 yds.) the red dot is the superior tool in my experience, and I've tried many, many scopes and sights. The Ultradot 30 is the best I've found, and they run around $175, including the rings. They work on any Weaver style or Picatinny rail base.

Old December 17, 2015, 07:03 PM   #13
Ocraknife

Quote:
Yes, it would help very much to know what particular firearm you're looking to scope.

Red dots work fine but I typically prefer a 2x on a handgun. Especially for a .22, particularly one that might be used for small game.
OK, I will admit that it isn't an revolver, it's a semi but I figured the revolver folks would know more about scopes than a the auto loader forum would.

It is a Ruger MK III target "USA Shooter" edition which seems to mean it costs a little more and has fancy grips and a logo that look like it will scratch off in a few more range trips. All I know is when I picked it up, I knew I had to have it.

Anyway, it comes with a weaver base and all the tapped threaded stuff needed to install it.

-Jimro
Old December 17, 2015, 07:04 PM   #14
Ocraknife

Quote:
Red dots weigh from 4-6 oz., while scopes with mounts are frequently over a pound. That 12 oz. difference may not sound like much, but it makes a huge difference in off-hand shooting. Unless you want to shoot handguns at long range (say beyond 75 yds.) the red dot is the superior tool in my experience, and I've tried many, many scopes and sights. The Ultradot 30 is the best I've found, and they run around $175, including the rings. They work on any Weaver style or Picatinny rail base.
This matters to me because one of the reasons, if not the main reason I was attracted to this particular gun is because it balanced so well. It was like an extension of my own hand.

-Jimro
Old December 17, 2015, 10:48 PM   #15
Prof Young

I've used low cost Simmons and . . .

I've used low cost ($70 - $100) Simmons scopes on my hand guns (44 mag and 22lr) and have been pleased with the results. Just saying . . . .

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old December 17, 2015, 11:52 PM   #16
gbran

Variable power scopes don't work well on handguns. 4x is way too much for .22 needs. Go with a 1.5 or 2x fixed. Be sure to look at red dots, reflex sights.

Old December 18, 2015, 03:30 AM   #17
b.thomas

I've got a red dot on my S&W 617 and love it......I put it on about two years ago!
As of a couple of weeks ago I tuned 71 and eyes really have been great for a few years now but the old red dot really helps. Don't see the need for a scope, as anything with in fifty yards would be pretty much dead meat just with the red dot.