The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 27, 2013, 04:57 PM   #26
Mavrick79

I've been reloading "range" brass for a while now without problem, but that's not to say its completely safe. I'm pretty lucky in that at my range I can usually come home with quite a bit more brass then I came with. All of it gets de-primed, SS cleaned, inspected, then I sort out the head stamp that I'm currently working with and the rest goes into storage for either reloading, trading, or selling. I won't mix head stamps when I reload because I do everything I can to keep things consistent as possible.
Old September 27, 2013, 04:58 PM   #27
GermanShep

Quote:
Check out the Lyman 49th edition, chapter 5 (p44-50)
Yes, this is exactly the section that prompted my question. They seem to raise some really good points that I hadn't thought about before. I guess that drives home the point that having and using multiple sources of info is important. Any other suggestions on books? I've read lymans, the ABCs of reloading, and hornadys...

Last edited by GermanShep; September 27, 2013 at 05:03 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old September 27, 2013, 05:08 PM   #28
Nick_C_S

Good post (#23) David Bachelder. Well stated.
Old September 27, 2013, 05:10 PM   #29
kln4

Wish someone would have told me. Range brass is all I use for the past 9~10 yrs. I have 2 40SW that I use, sig 229 and XD 40. The only problem with the .40 was years ago I was watching TV while reloading, didn't drop powder in one of my loads. I heard "pop" while at the range, I dropped the mag then ejected the live round, released the slide and pulled the barrel. The bullet lodged just in far enough forward for the next round. Moral: turn off the TV and concentrate on reloading. I go through about 3000 40sw a year, all of it is range brass. Some I've used 3 or 4 times, some of it toss but most of it I reuse until I see seating problem with the primers , or stress cracks on the cases.
I also use range brass for .308, cz 527, 30-30 winchester lever gun,
Old September 27, 2013, 06:05 PM   #30
Nick_C_S

I find myself wondering if this entire string is a moot point??

Since this spring or so, I can't remember ever seeing any "range brass" laying around. Suddenly, everybody started policing it lol
Old September 27, 2013, 10:48 PM   #31
Heavy Metal 1

I will develop a load with a certain brand of brass just to establish consistency and then load all the brass (mixed brass) on hand w/ that load. I sort by brand when I go to target shoot as I have found different brands will shoot to slightly different POI. All of my pistol rounds are far less than max pressure loads.

Sure beats trying to develop a load for every bloody brand of brass.
Old September 27, 2013, 11:52 PM   #32
cheezhed

most of my pistol brass is range brass. I shoot .45 ACP mostly and have never had problems with pick up brass but I do check all I pick when I reload including my own fired brass. I have come to find that often you can count the # of firings by counting the # of extractor marks on the case groove.