The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 26, 2013, 01:57 AM   #26
tgreening

I'm not one to wish ill will on a total stranger but realistically speaking, Diane Frankenstein isn't going to hang around forever...
Old January 26, 2013, 11:42 AM   #27
MarkCO

The least expensive AR15s I have seen were in late 2011 (Under $600 total for new). There were so many choices and manufacturers that the prices went down. But, I can't remember an AR15 being anything over $1800 or so pre 1994 and in 2011, there were models north of $4k. In CO, new $800 ARs hit about $2000 about 2 weeks ago and now are at about $1500.

While we need to keep the pressure on our elected officials to follow the consitution and serve their constituents, National and Local, it is looking like a pretty hard fight to pass a National AWB. The magazine capacity ban as a stand alone bill likely has a better chance.

In the past week, I have been able to source, procure and assemble 4 complete ARs for less than $1K for local friends who procrastinated over the past several years. They ended up paying maybe $200 more due to panic prices here and there. Most of that was in BCGs and Lowers. I got them each a new 30 round mag and a box of ammo.

With the ammo shortages, the vast majority of the new guns are not getting shot a lot. I agree with the assertions of Patriot86 as to the mid to late 2013 surplus of firearms, BUT, there will not be a glut of magazines again IMHO. There will never be a glut of ammuniton either.

Last edited by MarkCO; January 26, 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old January 26, 2013, 02:43 PM   #28
sdclaw

Reasonable deals can still be had from reputable local shops. I picked up a New colt for 1,500 today including an extra mag, 100 rounds, and a used pelican. They also had a DPMS AP4 for 1,075. Guns are moving out from distributors. If your shop is telling you otherwise it's likely they are selling them online for big money rather than selling them in store.
Old January 26, 2013, 02:55 PM   #29
Pilot

A friend and I hit a few gun shops around town to see what we could find. Of course the shelves were bare with regards to black rifles, and some had pistol cases that were pretty picked over, and not yet re-stocked. Most ammo that anyone would want was also gone including .22LR.

However, there were still many other types of rifles, shotguns, and some pistols left. Once shop still had a nice selection of pistols and at good prices too. They were only selling ammo to those who bought pistols though, and were limiting to one box.

General consensus at these shops was that things were still crazy, but were "quieting down", and they were not seeing the panic buying nearly as much, but were still seeing steady, consistant sales, well above pre-panic levels. They ARE getting re-supplied, however. The ammo situation seems to be worse than the gun sitauation except for AR's, and AK's, etc.
Old January 26, 2013, 06:07 PM   #30
Sarge

The famine of .22 ammunition, at Walmart and other bargain stores, is worse than I've ever seen it. Most of the gun shops in central MO are pretty well sold out, too.
Old January 26, 2013, 06:56 PM   #31
MarkCO

Was in Bass Pro yesterday...4 revolvers and 2 1911s TOTAL in the case. Hunintg grade shotguns and rifles had full racks. Shot shells and high power rifle ammo, plenty.

Only a few boxes of .17HMR and .22Mag in RF. Employee told me they get stock Saturday and they come in and stock some before open, but they have lines well into the parking lot when they open.

Our Sportsmans Warehouse gets stocked on Fridays, lines over 200 have been seen before opening. They wheel out some pallets of ammo and it is like locusts. A clerk told me some of the same guys are coming every Friday morning and buying everything they can carry. Line form at the gun counters too with people still waiting up to 2 or 3 hours to get a chance to buy a gun.

Insane.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:04 PM   #32
pat701

If the Fed's can't pass an AWB it will take 9 months for prices to come back to normal.