The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 5, 2013, 09:24 PM   #1
milehighjc

Help with FFL

Would appreciate the thoughts of those of you with a bit more experience purchasing in today's market.

I purchased a CZ P-01 at a gun show in Colorado on Jan 27. I paid in full at the show. I was advised that the background check could take as much as 8 days, and that the FFL would contact me upon completion of my background check to arrange delivery. In Colorado, the CBI conducts a fairly extensive background check, but they do leverage social media (twitter, Facebook) to report their progress through the backlog of background checks.

Last Friday, based upon the progress reported by the CBI, I tried to contact my FFL to determine if they would be at a nearby gun show over the weekend. Assuming that my background check completed, I was interested in taking delivery there. This call was not returned. I asked the promoter on Saturday, and learned that the FFL was not participating in that show. No harm, no foul.

From ongoing social media updates by the CBI, it is clear that my background check would been completed as early as Sunday, and no later than this morning, and most likely was completed Monday sometime.

It is Tuesday night, and unfortunately, I still have not heard from the FFL. I tried called again this afternoon to check status, and potentially arrange a meeting. The phone was not answered, I left amessage, but the call has not been returned.

My last (and only other) gun purchase was before the "lunacy", was completed inside the store - background check through delivery, so I am not familiar with the current process. Is it unreasonable for me to expect minimally a return call? Given that they have my payment in full, I most certainly would like to take delivery sooner than later. Even if my background check were declined (would have to be for a clerical error), It would be nice to know what was going on, and allow me to begin an appeal...

Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially any suggestions for next steps (even if that is cool my heels and be patient). I don’t believe this FFL operates a brick and mortar store, so it’s not like I can drive by to see if I can talk to someone - it’s also on the order of an hour drive to get there.

Thanks in advance!
Old February 6, 2013, 06:22 AM   #2
jonnyc

The man has your gun, your money, and hasn't returned a call. I would say you have a right to be concerned. My first step would be to call at some odd, non-business hours. He most likely has another job, and his machine might be broken. If it goes much longer, you can call his local police and ask them to check on the guy. They don't usually like to see gun thefts in their jurisdiction.
Old February 6, 2013, 02:11 PM   #3
glenncal1

MileHi- you might check with another FFL and see if they can verify whether your BGC is complete (I don't know if this is possible). I would give the guy a couple more days and then contact the ATF and see how to proceed, good luck.

Many K and N Frames
Old February 6, 2013, 02:30 PM   #4
milehighjc

Update to this situation: Contacted CBI today to inquire about my background check, was advised by them that the FFL submitted my background check with an error. It has been resubmitted, but of course I went to the back of the line.

Why the FFL has not/will not call me back still remains an issue to me, but at least I know what the hold up is.
Old February 7, 2013, 06:28 PM   #5
milehighjc

Another quick question - Sorry for the newbie questions...

Where can an FFL deliver a firearm? In my case, I purchased at a gun show, and am awaiting clearance of the background check (looks like its going to be 16+ days based upon the above commentary). When it does finally clear, I THINK based upon the research I have done he can ONLY deliver at the address on the license (even if it is a home base business) or at an "extension" of that business (like a gun show). Are there any other options - like at another FFL with a storefront?
Old February 7, 2013, 06:44 PM   #6
9mm

16 days? so many exuses in this story from the people you bought it from.
Old February 7, 2013, 07:27 PM   #7
milehighjc

Yeah, its not a fun strory. I think in the future I will opt to buy from a brick and mortar store instead of at a gun show, at least as long as the background checks are running at over a week per cycle. It all would have been fine in the old days of 45 minute background checks.

Im easy to get along with, and I can get over the clerical error - it happens. But I sure would have appreciated a return call (which I still have not received).

While Im not in that big of a hurry, I sure would like to shoot this thing. If I dont get it soon, I will have spent the rest of the budget on ammo and accesories while Im waiting. I guess spending on firearms generates MORE spending on firearms. Like every other "hobby" I have...
Old February 8, 2013, 11:15 PM   #8
milehighjc

Just to close this out (unless something else goes awry), was able to reach the FFL tonight, and Im satisfied that everything is fine. I expect that the BC will complete early next week, and Ill get the chance to get to a range sometime during the week. Looking forward to it...

Amazing what a short personal conversation can do...