The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 7, 2010, 10:34 AM   #1
KMO

Mossy 500 Safety Switch Issue

Here's a weird one...I switched out a few components on my Mossberg 500 last week, including the installation of the raised safety switch offered by Brownell's. Everything went back together nicely & as usual, but now the safety switch engages after every shot. The only new parts on the safety are the top-side switch and the small ball bearing & spring that fit under the switch. The "foot" portion that fits inside the receiver was not changed. Thoughts? ...solutions? ...Brent?
Old March 7, 2010, 10:49 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The tab may only have dimples on one end... those are to line up with holes in thin plate... If not, you have no detent to hold the tab in lace...
Brent
Old March 7, 2010, 12:25 PM   #3
KMO

Quote:
The tab may only have dimples on one end... those are to line up with holes in thin plate... If not, you have no detent to hold the tab in lace...
Brent
I knew you'd be out there...I'll double-check the tab, dimples, & plate. I'm also wondering if the ball bearing is the correct diameter. Brent, what is that diameter supposed to be?
Old March 7, 2010, 12:30 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

.126 is what I came up with...
If not big enuff it would likely hang up as the ball goes too far into the dimples... Spring could be too short thus a tug with finger tips would be a good stop gap repair.
Brent
Old March 7, 2010, 12:34 PM   #5
KMO

...a little spring tension might be the issue...I'll report back later today, hopefully with a solution...

All I did was take it apart, pull the spring a little, and put it back together. It works fine, but I haven't shot it yet. It could be that I didn't torque down the screw enough, as it has a distinctive "click" to it now.

Last edited by KMO; March 9, 2010 at 06:22 PM.