The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 21, 2009, 09:55 AM   #1
bggwind

Question: Interstate Transfer - NJ to DE

I'm looking for answers in terms of the legality of a S&W 14-3 dating back to the early 70's (I believe) in .38sp.

It was my deceased father-in-law's who died in 1989. Since then it's been in my mother-in-law's home. I do not believe there are papers or box with the gun, however I'm told (with fairly certain accuracy) that it was purchased new through legitimate channels.

My mother-in-law died last week, and I've inherited the firearm informally. I live in Delaware and the in-law's lived in NJ. I would like to stay above-board and legal with everything, and I would like to shoot this gun at the range without worry.

Could someone clue me into how I would go about this?

Much thanks in advance :-)
Old July 21, 2009, 10:38 AM   #2
Bud Helms

Normally, shipped to an FFL in your state, where you could pick it up and pay the fee, would suffice, but if NJ is involved, I would be very cautious about getting the MIL in dutch.

Contact one of the local gun clubs in NJ for better local info.

I'm going to modify your title in hopes a NJ shooter that can help will notice the topic.
Old July 21, 2009, 11:30 AM   #3
NavyLT

Your wife - the actual inheritor of the firearm can go and pick it up. It is an intestate succession and, therefore, an exception to 18 USC 922(a)(3) and (a)(5). Take it out of New Jersey unloaded and in a locked container, preferably in a vehicle with a trunk or other exterior compartment and the locked container in the trunk.

Never take it back to New Jersey!