The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2009, 08:19 PM   #1
btefft

Thanks to Wolf, got a chance to use my new bullet puller.

Thanks to Wolf, got a chance to use my new bullet puller.

It's either my LCP or Wolf small pistol primers. I think its the Wolf primers. Many times I pulled the trigger and nothing happened.

I removed the round looked at the primer, saw a dent. Sometimes, when I put the round back in and puller the trigger, it fired. That's why I think I got some lousy Wolf primers.

So, I got out my brand new, Hornady Cam Lock bullet puller and, after fiddling with it, pulled 200 bullets from my other .380 reloads, knocked out the Wolf primers and easily captured the powder. Didn't take no time at all.

Then, I re-primed the cases with Federal small pistol primers and reloaded them.

Now, I'm gonna see if the Federal Primers go bang - every time. The Federals weren't my first choice, but I couldn't find any CCIs.

But, I sure was happy with the Cam Lock Puller. I don't want to even think about using my hammer puller to pull 200 bullets.

Here's what it looks like:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewp...productnumber=851547
You have to buy the collets separately, but obviously, the collet I used to pull the .380 bullets will also work with 9mm, 38 and 357.

PS - this is the first time Wolf primers have given me any trouble. I use 'em in my 9mm, 357 and 40 SW reloads, and have had no problems - knock on wood.

Hack
Old February 28, 2009, 09:10 PM   #2
PCJim

If reloading the unfired, struck rounds enabled you to eventually fire those rounds, it sounds like you may have had primers that were not fully seated. The first strike further seats the primer without igniting it, the second stike ignites it.
Old February 28, 2009, 09:27 PM   #3
DEDON45

I'm w/ PC Jim... I bet your primers aren't seated deep enough on all your rounds. I've never had a problem with Wolf, or any other primer brand for that matter.
Old March 1, 2009, 12:33 AM   #4
snuffy

Quote:
It's either my LCP or Wolf small pistol primers.
Following this reasoning makes it sound like it's the primers.

THEN;

Quote:
this is the first time Wolf primers have given me any trouble. I use 'em in my 9mm, 357 and 40 SW reloads, and have had no problems - knock on wood.
Following this reasoning, I'd say it's the pistol. Or the loading procedure, not seating the primers deep enough. The primers themselves are seldom at fault. The firing pin or striker may be a bit lite also.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 1, 2009, 01:18 AM   #5
Don H

I believe the Wolf primers may be a tad harder than comparable domestic primers. The LCP may not be delivering a firm enough strike to the primer for the Wolf to function properly.
Old March 1, 2009, 01:40 AM   #6
btefft

I'm gonna have to be careful to make sure the Wolf primers seat properly. And maybe up the firing pin spring.

Hack
Old March 1, 2009, 07:48 AM   #7
Jim Thompson

I've actually heard nothing but good things about Wolf primers. I even called Dillon about using them in their reloaders and they seemed to like Wolf. You might also see if your firing pin is striking hard enough to explode the primer. This can be adjusted by the factory or a gunsmith.
Old March 1, 2009, 08:28 AM   #8
QBall45

Iam with the others on this. I think that you did not get the primers seated all the way. Which will cause them to act stupid.

Here's what I would do.

1. try your Wolf primers again. This time be sure that you get them seated flush or slightly below flush. If these Wolf primers do not work on the second go round I would find another primer to try.
2. I would never use Federal primers. They are explosvie. I know. I and many others have had them pop while trying to seat them.
3. Can't find CCI's then give Winchester or Remington a try.
4. Never use a Federal Primer they are dangerous... See #2.
Old March 1, 2009, 11:46 AM   #9
mkl

Quote:
when I put the round back in and puller the trigger, it fired.
Sounds like primer not seated completely to the bottom of the primer pocket.

Probably what happened is that the first firing pin impact seated the primer the rest of the way down so it was firm on the bottom of the pocket.

Now that the primer was properly seated, the second firing pin impact made it go boom.

Note that you may have run into some cases with under size primer pockets which makes it very hard to seat the primer all the way. I ran into a batch of brand new Winchester 30-30 cases like that. I had to use a primer pocket uniformer to get them to properly accept a primer.

Last edited by mkl; March 1, 2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph
Old March 1, 2009, 02:39 PM   #10
CrustyFN

I don't have any way to test them myself but I hear most people that use them compare them to Win primers as far as hardness. I have used quite a few SP and LP without any problems. I have two friends that have used 40 to 50 thousand without any problems. I'm not saying you couldn't have got a bad batch but over all they seem to be real good primers from my experience. I would tend to agree with the others with them not being seated all the way.
Rusty
Old March 1, 2009, 10:07 PM   #11
btefft

mkl, you said "I had to use a primer pocket uniformer to get them to properly".

Just ordered a Sinclair Primer Pocket Uniformer for small pistol/rifle primer pockets. That should help.

Thanks
Hack

Last edited by btefft; March 2, 2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:43 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

If the LCP has a firing pin strike anything like my Taurus PT-138 (piece of ****)... This does not apply:

Quote:
The first strike further seats the primer without igniting it, the second stike ignites it.
3-4 strikes is not uncommon with my father's reloads. (He doesn't understand how to seat primers.)
I have had as many as 11 strikes before the primer detonated.

A combination of a light strike, and an improperly seated primer just makes things that much worse...