The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 28, 2008, 07:46 PM   #26
fett tracking

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xOYKDBe3Ys0&feature=related

ITS ALL

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TPXCS78XcRQ&feature=related

IN YOUR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmAzr8dH3T4&NR=1

TECHNIQUE

lol
Old February 28, 2008, 09:19 PM   #27
bestbod85

i can see the advantages of the pg only, however in all those video's above they held it to their waist, you can hold a regular stocked sg the same way, AND you have the option to shoulder it as well just my opinion .
Old February 29, 2008, 01:09 AM   #28
T.A.Sharps

I have an 870 with the black monte carlo stock, I wanted to put a pistole grip on it because I have it scoped and the pistol grips hold better into the pocket in my shoulder.

But now, I've been waiting so long to fork up the cash, that I've used the 870 so much my eye spot welds to the scope eye relief on that stock perfect, to where I can track a deer running with the scope on 9 power, in the woods.

I might still get a pistol grip someday, but I'm thinking why mess with it.

I'm not sure even if I had the grip I would change the stock out when I'm not using it for hunting. I would rather keep it so I'm as familiar with it as possible if it came down to defending my self. But I don't think a pistole grip would hinder you if you had to get it in a hurry, the grip is made to be more natural fitting to the way your hand wraps around something.

As for recoil,
Its a shotgun you will have it, just learn how to take it. Put that butt in the pocket of your shoulder, and be in a position to where your body rolls back with the recoil. Also get a nice recoil pad. I have "Shooters Friend" which takes up 70% of felt recoil I think, may not be pretty, but it works great.

Be aware if you are developing a bad flinch, too much anticipation before the shot making you flinch hard as you pull the trigger. But that is more for shooting at longer rang for accuracy.