The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 18, 2005, 09:13 PM   #1
dogfood

Sling for Win 1300 with Choate stock?

I have a Winchester 1300 with a Choate pistol grip buttstock and extended magazine tube. The buttstock has two swivels - one at the end of the butt (like on a rifle) and one on the base of the pistol grip. The magazine extension clamp also has a swivel (mounted vertical). Any ideas on what type of sling goes well with this 3-swivel set-up?

Thanks,
dogfood
Old July 18, 2005, 09:31 PM   #2
delzo

slings

Dogfood, I'm really partial to a tactical sling so I can drop the weapon and it will hang horizontally in the correct position within reach. If you'll go to the "show and tell" shotgun thread, you can see the mounts I use on my Winchester Police Stainless. The front swivel is just something I picked up at a gun show and is pretty much universal. The rear swivel has to pretty much be on or near the top of it's positon for the shotgun to hang right-side up. I drilled into the hinge area of my folding stock and it worked well. You might have to adapt something to do so,,,,if you're interested in a tactical setup.

Sog Armory has some pretty neat spacer type sling attachments you might check out. http://www.sogarmory.com/default.aspx
Old July 23, 2005, 11:56 AM   #3
dogfood

delzo:

Thanks for the tips. I will check those options out.

I'm still curious as to why Choate put sling swivels on both the buttstock and the bottom of the pistol grip. I'm sure they had something specific in mind.

dogfood
Old July 23, 2005, 12:04 PM   #4
delzo

I think the multiple options makes it easier for attaching whatever sling you get. My reason for having a tactical sling might be different than your need. If I decide to go for my sidearm, due to no ammo/malfunction/different scenario (and shotgun not needed anymore),,,,the tac sling is the best thing going. I always worried about laying a loaded shotgun on the ground while I dealt with another task.
If carrying the weapon is your only consideration,,,,any sling will do and with your attachment options,,,it's a fairly easy job.