The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 1, 2005, 08:15 PM   #1
gn luver

527 carbine 7.62x39

Has anyone had any experience with this little rifle,i'm considering buying one because i want a lite compact rifle. The biggest game i would use it for would be deer.Any info pro or con would be appreciated. I sometimes get bogged down on appearance as this is sure a neat looking gun so any criticism in this regard would also be well received.Max W. Ne.
Old April 1, 2005, 10:17 PM   #2
LeeF

Do a search for Mr. Paco Kelly probably over on sixgunner.com. He has written a couple of very interesting articles on that rifle.
Old April 2, 2005, 12:01 AM   #3
Lawyer Daggit

I own one and find it excellent. However it can be fussy in respect to firing Civillian Ammunition as US ammo is built to the SAAMI standard and SAAMI saw fit to adopt slightly different dimensions to the Ruskies.

The result was that mine misfired terribly on Winchester factory ammo because of head spacing problems and I would up sending it back to Winchester (the CZ Australian Agent) they sent it to a gun smith in Cairns, QLD who has a 95% cure for this problem. So far so good.

I find it very accurate and it is a delight to carry and is very well made.
Old April 2, 2005, 01:21 AM   #4
mummac

I've only had time to shoot it once, but I like mine. The set trigger is really nice. In fact, I was at my father's house earlier tonight debating whether I like it better than the Savage accutrigger.

I had problems with Winchester ammo as well. Four of the 40 rounds I fed it didn't fire. The dent in the primers looked kinda shallow. Two of those four fired on a second try. I didn't have any problems with Federal or Wolf ammo.

It's a cool little rifle. I really like the way it feels and looks. The iron sights on it work well for me too, but I'm probably not an experienced enough shooter to make a well informed opinion of iron sight.

Now I think I'll have to go to the range tomorrow.
Old April 2, 2005, 02:50 PM   #5
gn luver

527 carbine 7.62x39

Thanks guys for your help.You helped me make up my mind,i ordered today from my dealer $450.00 plus S&H which will bring it to $480.00.I had heard about the sometimes problem with U.S. ammo but i have a substantial amount of Wolf for my sks and of course it is readily available @ a very reasonable price.Now, like most gun guys i can hardly wait for that little jewel to get here. Thanks again for the rapid and very helpful responses. Max W. Ne.(gn luver)
Old April 3, 2005, 12:24 AM   #6
Jseime

aw jeez

im too late. what i would have said it i had seen this sooner is that the 7.62X39 is a marginal deer round. i hope you plan to keep er under 100 yards.
Old April 3, 2005, 09:11 AM   #7
44-40

Let us know how it shoots,I know I'm not the only one that would be interested, their 22 hornet and 223 are great!!!
Old April 4, 2005, 12:15 AM   #8
gn luver

527 carbine 7.62x39

LeeF I read the articles by paco kelly, thanks very interesting & informative for someone who just bot one.Jseime my dealer told me the same thing as you said ,better keep your deer hunting under 100 yds. but i live in a wooded area loaded with deer so it will be used as a brush gun. thanks guys for the help.I'll let you all know how it works out.Max W.(gn luver)
Old April 4, 2005, 01:11 AM   #9
Crosshair

The 7.62x39 is a good short range deer round. However, as has been stated before, to ensure clean kills shots should be under 150 yds. Of course the same can be said about many other rounds. (Sorry to knock on the good old 30-30, but it also fits in this catagory.) In wooded areas this becomes much less of a problem.
Old April 4, 2005, 05:10 PM   #10
Jseime

ok then

sounds good ill admit that the 7.62 is a good brush gun
Old April 4, 2005, 05:28 PM   #11
jonathon

Who shoots deer out past a 100 yards? Who even gets the chance to shoot a deer at that distance?

I guess it would depend on terrain.. but where I live, the average shot would be between 40 and 60 yards depending on where your at. There just isn't much open space in the woods.
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old April 4, 2005, 05:36 PM   #12
Mannlicher

The Paco Kelly article is on GunBlast

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco_CZ527.htm

I have seen one of these at the range, and was very impressed with the 100 yard groups the owner was producing. I don't really NEED another deer rifle.............but...........

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old April 4, 2005, 05:58 PM   #13
Lawyer Daggit

The maximum range of the 7.62x39 is limited, but one thing I like about this rifle is that like .30-30 carbines- it is 'adequate' to get the job done without excessive noise, blast or fan fair.
Old April 4, 2005, 06:12 PM   #14
jonathon

Exactly. That and recoil is really light, making for a quick and accurate follow up.

P.S
True Grit rocks
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old April 4, 2005, 11:58 PM   #15
BusGunner007

I understand the fascination with a unique firearm, but in this case I'd go for a .308 of some kind over the CZ527.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but being practical.
How 'bout a nice Remington Model 7 or 700 ADL to keep the price down, but still have a full-size rifle capable of using Match or Hunting ammo?
Just a thought.
Old April 5, 2005, 12:29 AM   #16
Lawyer Daggit

Busgunnner007- aside from the CZ carbine I own a 7x57 Model 70 Featherweight and a Remington Model 7 in .350 Rem Mag. Where the CZ comes in is where I do not need a canon to get the job done- A shot at a moderate sized target at moderate range and where I do not want to wake the neighbourhood or get pounded by recoil.
Old April 14, 2005, 05:21 PM   #17
Moe Mentum

I can't even see a deer in the woods at 100 yards. So the 7.62x39 works for me.
Old April 15, 2005, 10:22 PM   #18
BusGunner007

Quote:
Busgunnner007- aside from the CZ carbine I own a 7x57 Model 70 Featherweight and a Remington Model 7 in .350 Rem Mag. Where the CZ comes in is where I do not need a canon to get the job done- A shot at a moderate sized target at moderate range and where I do not want to wake the neighbourhood or get pounded by recoil.
I'm having trouble understanding how the 7x57 and .350 Mag. are cannons, and the ".30 Soviet" in a lightweight carbine isn't...

I maintain that unless "uniqueness" is the sole deciding factor on getting the CZ527 in 7.62x39, a better and more versatile choice can be made.

If the cartridge factors in for cost, then an SKS might be just as good a choice.
If the purpose is 'deer hunting', then a better cartridge is available without the need to limit oneself to or guess at the 100-yd. limit imposed by the 7.62x39.

When I opted for a 'lightweight carbine', I bought a Remington 7400 Synthetic Carbine in the only caliber it was offered in: .30-06.
It was short, light, held 4+1, had open sights, was scopable, and semi-auto ( autoloading ), for a versatile gun indeed.
It could take a myriad of bullet weights to adjust the felt recoil, be effective on different size game, and be useful at different ranges.

I fail to see the reason for anything in 7.62x39 in anything other than a firearm used for plinking with cheap ammo, or used for 'defensive' purposes.
I don't think the cartridge is ideal for anything other than that, especially hunting.
Unless you can guarantee the game is always there at the specified range, the cartridge/bullet combo is not ideal for a quick and 'humane' kill.

FLAME ON.